Why can't Boise St. join a power conference?

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by ace_o_spades, Nov 29, 2010.

1. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Well the loss to Nevada obviously ends their chance of a BCS/National Title bid but up until that game there was a lot of debate about if Boise belongs in that picture. So why can't Boise join a power conference the way TCU just did? Do they not want to? Do other conferences not want them?

2. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boise tried by going to the MWC, the problem with Boise is the Big Power Conferences gain nothing by adding Boise, unlike TCU that offers the state of Texas, who the hell would want idaho?

3. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Yeah but isn't Boise an unusual situation since they've been ranked so high the past couple years? Don't they generally travel well?

4. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The answer is no. Boise brings nothing academically, there is no talent ground gained by adding Boise, Idaho, and there isn't any TV markets there either. And while they have been good lately, they have been nothing before these few years.

If teams wanted to play Boise, Boise isn't even a good enough deal for a home and home series, they'd have to offer at least a 2 for 1 in order for any major team to bite.

5. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Fair enough. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to college football, I just figured that with all the shit talking between the OSU guy and the BSU guy that a move to a power conference would be beneficial for them but if there's no benefit for the conference then obviously it's a waste.

6. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

The BCS is all about TV market, Boise doesn't offer shit in that. During the TCU/BIG EAST presser, the BIG EAST commissioner mentioned the TV market being one of the major reasons. Of course they also boost the conferences BCS score, but the $$$ sits in the market.

7. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

That's a load of crap ... sort of. Yes TCU will help the BCS in terms of the AQ status however they won't begin calculating towards 2012/13 meaning if TCU was to hypothetically win the National Title * this year all those numbers would count for the MWC.

As for Boise like has been said they essentially can't. They don't bring anything academically or in TV revenue. Throw in that because of location they don't offer enough sports to offer the Pac 10 something they don't have. Even with Utah and Colorado they give the Pac 10 (which bills itself as the "Conference of Champions") bring multiple skiing national titles. They're stuck with the MWC because A) they weren't succesful during the Taft Administration (which seems to be the basis on how you earn the right to play for a championship in football) and B) are in Boise. It's a shitty system but that's the way it is.

8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Academics is really what is keeping Boise out of the Pac 10, which are research universities. Boise St isn't.

9. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

The same reason Gonzaga won't do it in Basketball: Why suffer the fate of a .500 conference record when you have the media falsely advertising you as a national powerhouse?

10. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

11. Barry the Baptist

It's weird as they won't be in the MWC for anything other then football. I've got a hunch that the MWC won't stay at 10 though. My guess is that Utah St and Utep may be invited when this is all said and done. Also keep an eye on Texas- San Antonio.

This is a worst case scenario for San Jose , New Mex St, and Idaho. I think LaTech will end up in the Sun Belt or CUSA so they'll be ok but San Jose will likely drop football and NMSU will need to beg the Sun Belt to take them back. Idaho I think drops down to 1AA and join their sister school in the Big Sky.

12. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

The great Larry Coker and UTSA are going to the WAC in 2012.

13. Barry the Baptist

Yes they were forced to move up a year early because the WAC for all intents and purposes is dead. They might reconsider their position for a variety of reasons but mainly should LaTech move as I think when it's all said and done they will the WAC would be down to 4 teams. Utah St, New Mexico St, Idaho and San Jose St. There are reports that Utah St will join the MWC and it may happen as soon as the end of Bowl Season. I personally don't want Utah St. but I don't really have a say.