Who'd You Rather: Taylor Mays or Myron Rolle

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Tennessee Jet, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Tennessee Jet

Tennessee Jet New Member

Hello all. I know I don’t post that much in the draft forum (or at anywhere for that matter) but I really enjoy the thoughtfulness of the threads in this part of the board. Anyway, I had an idea that I thought might be a good way to discuss player value in terms of the draft. It’s based on the game “Who’d You Rather.” The game is typically played by bringing up two girls and deciding who’d you rather bang. It’s a lot of fun. I suggest playing it sometime with your buddies.

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to take the premise of the game and substitute banging for drafting. So, who would you rather draft: Player X or Player Y. As we all know, that’s a little too simplistic in terms of the draft since there is a lot more to consider. I think adding in draft position is a pretty good indicator.

I pose this questions to the board: Who would you rather draft:

Taylor Mays in the first round or Myron Rolle in the 3rd.

Discuss.

2. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Mays fits the defense better. Rolle would have better value though cause he could be had in the early 3rd. Mays is gonna be a 1st rounder.

3. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Mays is a future bust at Safety. The guy can lay a big hit on people but he cannot cover to save his life and his tackling form is absolute garbage. He is Justin Miller at safety without the return skills. If the Jets spend a first rounder on him then I am probably going to shit myself.

4. Tennessee Jet

Tennessee Jet New Member

There's no question that Mays will be gone in the first round and probably well before pick 29.

Cato - Would you rather have Rolle or Mays with draft round being equal?

5. TheManiac

TheManiac New Member

Dead on. It's one thing to be able to nail a guy lined up, it's another thing to be able to swing your hips and run down field with an NFL wide-out downfield. The guys was a big winner at the underwear olympics, but the fact that he was so high rated last season and was thoroughly unimpressive this year at SC says alot about the guys attitude and workethic. He's hot garbage.

#5 TheManiac, Mar 5, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  6. CatoTheElder

Why, I'll draft the guy I just described as a bust and a waste of talent in the NFL, course. Are you serious?

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Mays sucks. Rolle wins.

8. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

Neither?

9. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

Rolle by a long shot, I dont want a guy who just wants to hit everything that moves, especially if he is a "first round talent". I know some people Rolle's question his commitment to football because he took the scholarship offer, but I see it differently. Since Rolle entered the spotlight in college he has been committed to so much, his school, his football, and his charity (think about that he runs a charity in college). Your also looking at a guy who was probably a first round pick last year and you don't reach that level with just talent, you have to want to be committed to improving

10. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I am firmly not on the Taylor Mays bandwagon in round one. If he fell to round two, like Justin Miller, I'd take him and hope Rex can make him a weapon of mass destruction. But that won't happen

11. The GM

The GM New Member

If I were offered both on a platter, without worrying about value for different rounds in the draft, I'd take Mays.

More positional versatility, more athletic, freak of nature essentially. I think his poor backpedal is overrated because having a smooth backpedal as a safety is not really that important -- you're diagnosing skills and reaction time are far more important. Plays rarely get behind safeties, most of everything comes in front, and Mays can dart to the ball carrier/WR and destroy him. Some real work on his form tackling -- real serious work because you know it was not harped on at USC -- and he'll be just fine as a safety in the league. He can't cover like Berry or Thomas, but he can cover ground and break up a play and that's just fine. If he becomes more aware when the ball is in the air, he could be a Polamalu type of safety for a team.

Myron is a high character guy, not as athletic, but a damn good player in his own right. He does however value his future as a doctor over his career as an NFL player. One bad concussion and I think he hangs it up to preserve his brain -- not that this is a bad decision on his part, but you have to consider this and I could definitely see this happening.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Maybe we could draft Mays and Gholston could throw him at the quarterback.

I get the question, though. A high-risk project player who is most likely to bust or a player that could have a more immediate impact but has been out of the game for a year and would probably leave the game for med school after his first contract expired.

They are both too evil. I can't figure out which is lesser.

#12 abyzmul, Mar 5, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  13. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I would rather have Rolle simply because I think Mays has "bust" written all over him. His triangle numbers are phenomenal and some team will overdraft him for this reason..

14. CatoTheElder

I'd be OK with that...if this was a track & field team.

15. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

Can we make this thread title less gay? I would draft Mays first in a heartbeat. If he is there at 29 I'm taking him. Why? Glad you asked! Rex's D is based on confusing the QB. Mays has the speed and size to play 3 different positions on the field.

16. CatoTheElder

Clearly we cannot.

Mays is a bust. Have you seen the guy try and throw a tackle? He comes to a full stop and then tries to lurch after the ball carrier. He's going to get lit up in the NFL by ball carriers. He cannot play the ball in the air worth a shit so he can't cover anyone, and he's too small to play LB in Rex's system. If he is there at 29, look for the idiot GM who wants to trade up.

17. TheManiac

TheManiac New Member

Like I said before, the guy cannot turn his hips and run with NFL wide receivers. And like Cato said, he can't locate the ball in the air if by some chance he is there in coverage. While straight line speed is nice to have, it isn't as valuable in a safety as it is in a corner. More importantly, he needs to be able to change direction without losing speed, which isn't his specialty.

Will he make an impact for a year or 2 on a bad defense? Probably. Is he a long term answer for a team lined up anywhere on the field? No. Can he be an effective special teams player and spot safety? Yes. Ultimately, is he worth a first round pick even at 29? Nope, not for us.

18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I rather Morgan Burnett, Nate Allen or Reshad Jones in the 2nd or 3rd