Who was the worst NYC pro coach over last five years?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, May 15, 2021.

?

Who was the worst NYC Pro HC over the last 5 years

1. Adam Gase

61 vote(s)
    83.6%
  2. Todd Bowles

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  3. Ben McAdoo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Pat Shurmur

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Jeff Hornacek

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. David Fizdale

6 vote(s)
    8.2%
  7. Mickey Callaway

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  8. David Quinn

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Doug Weight

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

Been a lot of bad sports teams in the area.

I think I’d go Callaway followed by Gase.

To me Callaway gets the nod because the Mets actually had the talent to be good and he was also a POS (sexual harassment stuff and attacking the beat writer)

alleycat9 likes this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Fizdale sucked.. that is all..

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I have a gut feeling Gase is going to finally win something...........

4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Never heard of him, googled him and he should be 100% the winner for those fucking glasses alone o_O

Lon Chaney, REVISion and Cman68 like this.
  5. GreenWhiteandGold

GreenWhiteandGold Well-Known Member

Am I wrong in thinking Fizdale was welcomed with open arms in NY, where as a large section of the jets fan Base never ever wanted Gase?

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Bowles had a winning season that nearly culminated in a playoff birth. And AFAIK, there were never reports about him clashing with players. He doesn't belong on that list.

8. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

This. Go back to the Gase welcome thread. I hated the hire the second it was announced. Only Jets coach I've ever felt that way about--everybody else got at least a fair shot, most of them enthusiastic support from me. Not Gase. We would have been better off keeping his also quite poor predecessor another year--at least that would have only cost us one year.

jackie1013, Ralebird, Noam and 3 others like this.
  9. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i completely agree, i havent said this guy sucks from day 1 like i did with gase.

there sure have been alot of bad coaches around, i dont think bowles was horrible, but definitely not good. i could never hate dougie weight even though i didnt even know he was a head coach...

fizdale was bad, macadoo was really bad, shurmur was bad. gase definitely wins, calloway in 2nd.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets coaches have had minimal talent available since 2012. 2015 was an exception because the Jets did their patented blow their wad on 30 year old free agents and overloaded for the year only to collapse the next season.

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

We give Gase a lot of grief (most deserved) but we also crucify Macagnan for destroying our team. Not sure how much of Gase's failures were due him versus preparing game plans for a team with a terrible QB, Oline, WRs, TEs, DBs, LBs, and a 37 yr old RB. Not sure any HC (or QB) coulda won too many games with our crew the last few years.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Maccagnan drafted poorly, traded poorly, signed dud free agents and generally acted w/o a coherent game plan. That made both of the coaches he worked with on the Jets look worse than they were. I don't think Bowles or Gase had much of a chance based on their ability but they clearly had no chance when matched up with the GM they had.

REVISion likes this.
  13. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It's all deserved. There is no in-between. IMO

Mac and Bowles looked far better than Mac and Gase.

Gase deserves all the blame and then some.

The only person that should be blamed more is Chris Johnson for ever thinking that just because Peyton Manning thinks Gase Is a good coach, that that alone makes Gase a slam dunk.

Just idiotic. Everyone seen that train wreck coming. We just didn't know how bad It was truly going to be.

14. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Maybe. I don't put a whole lot of the blame on Mac.

Trumaine Johnson was an elite FA who got paid and decided he didn't need to work anymore. That happens with a fair number of FAs for any team. We can fairly blame Mac for failing to fully psychoanalyze the guy and for paying him market value for a shutdown corner, but I think most of the blame here falls pretty squarely on Trumaine, not anybody else. Resigning Mo Wilk falls in this exact same category. C.J. Mosley may fall into this same category--but let's hope he doesn't.

Le'Veon Bell signing was a reasonable move--any reasonable coach would have made something out of it and used him to take a lot of the weight off of Darnold. Gase wasn't reasonable about anything.

Leonard Williams was the right pick in that shitty 2015 draft. He gets shit for it, but go look at that draft--who was the right pick? You can say they should have traded down for a haul, but it would have been a haul full of backups (you could make a case that the Jets have needed a boatload of decent backups for the last 5 years)--but Leo is a competent starter who could/should have been developed much better.

People hate on the 2017 draft (back-to-back safeties at the top of the draft), but those picks were hits, and we're still benefiting from both of them--Maye is still here, we still haven't spent all the picks we got from the Adams trade.

The only thing I really blame on Mac is the 2016 draft-- Darron Lee? Christian Hackenberg? Yeah, these were bad choices, and most of us saw it that way at the time. Still, Jordan Jenkins in the 3rd has been a good value. Brandon Shell started some games for us and is still a starter in the league 5 years later, which is great for a 5th round pick.

Personally, I'd give Mac a C+ or a C compared to the rest of the GMs in the league. As in "average" or "a bit better than average". He was a hell of an improvement over Idzik who gets an "F"

15. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

Gase without question... most of us didn’t agree with the hiring in the first place..but then to watch him on his introductory press conference and the bug eyes thing he was doing sealed his fate with me...his poor relationship with the players and refusal to Try and take it advantage Le’Veon Bell skill set was damming .. adding insult with him thinking along with Chris Johnson that he was the smartest offensive mind in the game I as a fan was offended

jackie1013 likes this.
  16. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

Some of you guys are posting about GM’s presidents ..In New York that award goes to Phil Jackson.. from him hiring A head coach that was banging a player wife in LA then leaving training camp to fly to LA to be with this girl and then getting his ass kicked by the player lol that was like some of these sleazy TV reality show’s ... Then throw in Jackson falling asleep in the stands while supposed to be scouting college players for the draft that was classic ... Phil Jackson worst GM president in NY sports history

Lon Chaney likes this.
  17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

It's how they lost and how they didn't made adjustments in the second half. Square peg into a round hole.

jackie1013 and Footballgod214 like this.
  18. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

Bowles earned his nomination the day he let Revis for the entire game play 10 yards off of Sammy Watkins in Buffalo with the playoffs on the line, he stood there like a statue all day and Watkins had a big day, a big loss with no playoffs.

jackie1013 and Ptflea2 like this.
  19. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Gase
    Fizdale
    Macadoodooo

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We didn't even wait until the next season to collapse.

It's probably Gase. The Knicks have been bad but it's hard to say they've had a lot of talent at least in 2018 with Fizdale. If you've ever watched Tim Hardaway Jr. play, you know your team is in trouble if a step back mid range 2-point shooter is your lead guy.

Pat Shurmur was also pretty bad. He might've won the award if they retained him another year.