who should our 4 starting LBs??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jhsensation10, May 11, 2006.

1. jhsensation10

jhsensation10 Member

assuming we go to 3-4 defense, who should our 4 LBs be?? first of all, hobson is the thickest of our LBs... hes not tall or very quick so he should play ILB like he did at michigan.. vilma is just the captain on defense and should stay at MLB since he has sideline to sideline ability.. hobson is actually 10 lbs or so heavier than kassel.. barton and kassell as about the same weight but kassell is 2 inches taller... i dont know much about kassell to comment.. i am excited to see bryan thomas at OLB.. hes a perfect fit at OLB because hes lanky and tall 6'4 266.. if you see his scouting report coming into the draft, he looks like a beast.. he had a 4.47 40 time... i knows hes probably gotten worse but with good coaching, maybe he can improve to some of his potential since hes only 26...i think if the season goes off well, it should be thomas, hobson, vilma, barton..

2. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Yeah Bryan Thomas is a horrible player. And now you think he's a perfect fit for OLB? You do realize he would have to cover running backs and TE's? He would also have to generate a pass rush something he has never done. He's good for one thing, playing the run. Him in a 3-4 OLB is a joke.

3. Pennington2Moss

Pennington2Moss New Member

Right, b/c you have watched more film and are better informed than the CS. BT was drafted as a OLB/DE tweener. That's what he should play.

I think the LBs will look like BT, Vilma, Hobson, Barton on opening day.

4. jhsensation10

jhsensation10 Member

i see your point.. however i figured with good coaching and great defensive schemes that fit to our strengths (maybe BT will primary rush from the OLB spot), thomas can start to show improvement to that proclaimed potential.. its just a suggestion, we have to get some use out of him so we should at least try.. otherwise trade him or cut him.. no use just saying hes terrible and benching him and also getting nothing out of him while paying him.. if hes so bad, why dont we get rid of him?? i think we should use this season to see if he can be of any use considering we got rid of abraham which was his primary reason why he wasnt playing (BC abraham is better than him and started at RE)..

5. jhsensation10

jhsensation10 Member

totally agree..

6. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

Vilma
    Barton
    Hobson
    Kassell

7. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

(1) Barton (2) McClover
    (1) Kassell (2) Schlegel
    (1) Vilma (2) Hobson
    (1) Chatham (2) Thomas

#7 dwalsh, May 11, 2006
    Last edited: May 11, 2006
  8. k.Rhodes25

k.Rhodes25 New Member

peter boulware
    vilma
    barton
    thomas

of course we would have to sign boulware for this to happen, but the update about pennington feeling great makes me wonder if we are a rebuilding team or a team missing an OLB and NT. so mayb we will sign GRADY JACKSON and PETER BOULWARE to help us out. although ive heard grady jackson is prolly gunna sign with the rams.

#8 k.Rhodes25, May 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2005
  9. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

me tooooo.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Just like DeMarcus Ware and Terrell Suggs had to cover right? You're an absolute joke for calling him a bad player, when he's perfect for the role with very quick speed and stout run defense. Now all he has to do is be taught some pass rush technique and he'll be fine. Watch a player, and digest what 3-4 linebackers have to do, before you assum.e

11. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I'm an absolute joke? Are you kidding me? Please don't ever compare Suggs or Ware to Bryan Thomas. Both of those players have proven that they can get pressure on the qb. While Bryan Thomas has never done that in his career. Furthermore when did the coaching staff every say that Bryan Thomas would be playing outside linebacker?? This is just an assumption because he has no role in a 3-4 as an end because he's too small. Trust me I'm not assuming anything, if a 3-4 outside linebacker can't drop into coverage it's a liability. Joey Porter drops into coverage and he's one of the best 3-4 OLB's in football. Don't ever call me a joke asshole.

12. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Just two questions for you, has the front office announced that BT is going to play linebacker? Has he ever played linebacker in the nfl or in college?

13. BIG TYMER

BIG TYMER Banned

OLB Bryan Thomas
    ILB Jonathan Vilma
    ILB Eric Barton
    OLB Matt Chatham

14. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I don't know where they would play as of now, but I think Bryan Thomas, Eric Barton, Jonathan Vilma and Brad Kassell should all start.

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Whoever the 4 are, I doubt linebackers will be this team's problem.

They seem pretty solid at the moment. Just my opinion.

16. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

how do you know that he won't be able to cover....and by the way bryan thomas is not a horrible player....a bust, yes, but prehaps 3-4 olb is the position for him.....him possibly a 3-4 olb is not a joke, you are for not being open to the idea

#16 King Koopa, May 12, 2006
    Last edited: May 12, 2006
  17. jhsensation10

jhsensation10 Member

bryan thomas has not been given a fair amount of time to showcase his talents.. he obviously was drafted so high for a reason.. he has talent.. however, he has never been given the opportunity to play with the knowledge that he is indeed the starter instead of just a backup until the starter returns (which was the case with abraham for the last few years).. now if he has a chance to start without the knowledge that he will be pulled regardless due to the depth chart, he may play up to his potential.. also, we hope that the coaching staff can teach him proper techniques and develop a scheme that would be suited for his strengths (gap control, tackling)..

18. Khan

Khan Active Member

yes he did play LB, and yes they did say he'd be tried out at OLB...

19. 1028

1028 Active Member

John Wolf, Chris Stratham, Mark Atkins, Joey Fish

20. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

OLB Thomas
    ILB Vilma
    ILB Schlegel
    OLB Barton

thats what im sticking too till training camp gets going.