Who else is super proud of this team

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by John, Nov 3, 2017.

1. John

John Active Member

Guys, this team going into the season was said to be the worst team in NFL history....
    There a bunch of young guys and the jets have won 4 games! Im not going to get in the what if's
    but the jets could easily have only 2 losses right now. And thats alright that happens to young teams but they were in the game!
    They have been in every game this year with maybe the exception of the Raiders. This is amazing news for our future.
    Our WRs are STUDS! Robby will definitely have a place here. Enuwa coming back next year also, the may be 1 WR away from having a very good WR core.

Only two glaring needs are CB and QB (for the future), maybe OLB but i really like what martins been doing and he seems serviceable there

wow i cannot wait for the next couple years its gonna be very fun

and for those who say what QB now that we may be in the 6-8 win range. YOU TRADE UP if you really love a guy, look at the eagles. OR I'm sure guys like Josh Allen are still gonna be there when the jets pick

2. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

More important than securing a Franchise QB: Making sure the Bills NEVER make the playoffs again.

3. FanSinceBIGShea

FanSinceBIGShea Active Member

Very proud of this team, they have competed in virtually every game this season, a far-far cry from this 0-16, 1-5, one of the worst rosters in NFL history bullshit others loved to spew in the months leading up to the first game.

They have youth, some nice vets, a terrific bridge QB to the next one (whoever that turns out to be) and a coaching staff that has grown over the last year I believe. Could see McCown serving in this same role next year while a drafted QB waits in the wings, absorbs on the sidelines, and learns from McCown, one of the best teachers of the position in the league. McCown has been perhaps the most inspiring player in the NFL this year - I am getting a kick out of watching him play the position better than he's ever played it. Easy to root for a guy like McCown, and I am.

This team is only a few players from being a legit playoff team and might even come close to knocking on that door this season before all is said and done.

Bowles should be extended before the season comes to a close.

xxedge72x, vokab206, nycarl and 2 others like this.
  4. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

The Jets need a few more players. The GM and coaches know that. The fact that they are competitive now will really help them in the long run. They may be ready to win next year. If so the guess who will be the "franchise" QB becomes less important. They can select someone they like and let him watch for a time. It doesn't seem they trust the backups they have now.

#4 hornblower, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Best Game of the Season!!

I've usually been pretty critical of the CS and team but Thurs night left me shaking my head..

The trio of Powell Forte and Mcguire packed a punch with big yardage

Joshy M played his best game too

Suddenlly Mo and his millions are waking up ..being a disruptive force...the 5 man front contained Taylor

Much better D by Kacy Bowles...hmmm why did it take this long..hope every game going forward is a must win

#5 NYJetsO12, Nov 3, 2017
    SOJAZ and LAJet like this.
  6. John

John Active Member

looking way ahead i really think 2019 is the year jets are TRUE contenders and then into the 20's it seems like everything is lining up for that

most of the vet QBS (Brady Ben, even Rivers) will be out of the AFC, jets will be reaching there prime on defense and offense will be there

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  7. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Before you get TOO excited, the Jets are notorious for over-achieving when they are expected to do nothing.

As soon as you place expectations on them to be successful, they break your heart.

Enjoy the season with cautious optimism and the evaluation of the promising youth, but lets keep expectations low as this is when the Jets perform best

BTW where is the thread for the Kelly Green Uni's? they should be our standard

8. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

How could any fan not be proud. I was all on board for the tank but the fight they have shown has been incredible. They went toe to toe with both of last years Super Bowl teams. Some pieces are needed for sure but things are trending way more up then i expected.

Vida, hornblower, ajax and 2 others like this.
  9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Until the Jets land a franchise QB this post is nothing but fantasy world. I have no idea how long you've been a Jets fan but the suggestion that things are lining up for the Jets to be true contenders in 3-4 years at this point is laughable. Seriously.

My prediction is that the Jets won't be true contenders until they have competent ownership. To be clear, that means Woody has to sell the team. Maybe I'll start rooting for them again if he sells.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Goes to show that you never believe these so called experts , including those from the mighty twitter group, Cimini, Conners, Caporoso (Joe who??) , Mehta, Slater.......listen to me, hee hee hee!! I predicted they would win 5..... Still sucks though because the future is still uncertain at the most important position.

11. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Very impressed with this Jet performance. The defensive line was amazing. You could actually see how the effort to contain Taylor was being carried out. All running lanes were completely shut off as gap integrity was maintained throughout the game. A lot of credit has to go to Bowles for having the team prepared. Jenkins had a breakout game. Adams was great. Where has McCown been all his life? He's playing like a top 10 QB. Robby Anderson looks much more sure handed now. Teams can't ignore his breakaway threat anymore. Powell reminds me of Tiki Barber the way he's running now. Finally, let's give some credit to the much maligned OL. They are opening holes and providing decent protection. Nice uniforms too!

#11 westiedog1, Nov 3, 2017
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree completely.
    Special Kudos to Mo, Williams, Lee who played great and the safeties. Offense was on point. Some ticky tacky penalties.
    ASJ was the dud this week, muffing the onside kick, a holding that cost Bilal a 29 yard run and a TD called back on a marginal hold.
    While I commend Kacy and Bowles, cant help but think that Buffalo screwed up on the game plan. They should have tested our secondary a lot more with first and second down quick passes and forget the option. We are still very vulnerable in that area.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

It's really been a fun year. I thought they would win 3 games or so spread out over the year. They have been competitive in almost every game and probably should be better than 4-5. Crazy.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  14. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I think you have to be. There's been no other season like this one in my memory of 20 years following this team... Yeah figured it was a blow-up and they'd accumulate a few (maybe) spare wins here and there as we hope to get a look at Petty/Hack and for the young players to play and develop.

However, we're seeing a very competitive, competent team the entire season (save for losing it in the 2nd half against Oakland following that PR fumble). McCown has been excellent and waayy better than I think anyone imagined. The guy is 2nd? in the NFL in completion percentage. The RBs are decent and versatile. The WRs and TEs are a major surprise. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think this group is set! Kearse is a valuable piece, Kerley has been solid, Anderson has really been coming on, and Stewart/Hansen are still in the wings with good reason for hope with Stewart at least. Plus if Enunwa comes back healthy, pretty damn good! ASJ has been excellent, Tomlinson has been a revelation as a 2nd TE, and there was reason to think Leggett could play.

DL has been a disappointment, but looking dominant of late. ILBs are really coming on. Demario looks like the guy at ILB going forward and Lee is getting better and better. Good pieces at OLB (need that disruptive pass rusher still!). Claiborne and Roberts have been good and Skrine has been more good than bad (but his bad was pitiful) although Juston Burris has been the disappointment of the year IMO, hope he turns it aorund. Safeties, especially Maye, have been damn good, and kicking game is good!

OL hasn't been as bad as we thought, but they still need at least one significant upgrade, maybe more.

Those last minute pickups have been ridiculously good for the caliber moves they were. Kearse, Kerley, Demario Davis, Bass, Brooks Ealy.

They're playing with confidence and I actually believe they can win any game they play. I of course still have some concerns about Bowles and Rodgers, but need to give Bowles credit for getting this team hungry and motivated week in and week out. 4th quarter collapse streak was alarming, but they still demonstrated how well they could play on a weekly basis.

It's an odd feeling this year though, where at 4-5 you really can't imagine a playoff spot, but with how they've played I now believe they could easily go .500. But is that even a victory? That would leave a pretty mediocre draft pick. I'm trying to watch them more objectively at this point, be excited for the success, the potential future pieces as they start coming on.

Right now, I see much fewer big needs going into the offseason than I'd imagined and there will be plenty of cap space to resign and add some free agents plus an additional 2nd round pick. Gotta get a QB... Need at least one huge OL (C?) upgrade.. Could really use that game-changing OLB, not an edge-setter like this team seems destined to acquire year after year after year... CB is still up in the air... And they'd benefit from a new RB next to Powell and McGuire.

The hope is that if they can play this well with this team, can they take a big step in 2018 with all the resources they have in this offseason?

LAJet likes this.
  15. FanSinceBIGShea

FanSinceBIGShea Active Member

Revisiting my post from back on May 19 of this year:

Howdy, all.

I'm not saying that they'll make the post-season, nor am I saying they'll even finish with a winning record.

What I am saying is that this is a team with a renewed feeling, a significant culture change is underway.

Each of the team's 2017 draft picks are players with either a chip on their shoulders, or they are undervalued and non-appreciated players who all feel as though they have something to prove.

I expect a hungry and aggressive, very physical and fast football team this season.

Youth will be served in many instances and they will make some mistakes, however, they will also surprise, sometimes overachieve, and they'll catch some teams by surprise.

I am far from the type who is expecting a 2-14 or a 3-13 abomination with eye-sore football spread out over 4-months.

I expect this team to resemble the 1979 edition of the Jets for those old enough to remember that edition of the club.

I think this year's edition will be competitive, and with the new direction they are finally and thankfully taking, I believe this will be Year I of building a foundation that will eventually sustain for several consecutive years.

While some are predicting gloom and doom, I find myself very eager and excited for this upcoming 2017 Jets football season.

NYJFOREVER, rikj99 and JetFanInPA like this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I'm very proud of this team. the offense that was supposed to be the worst in NFL history is holding it's own this season

17. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Proud. McCown has been such a surprise that I think he's an example of a guy that just never got the right circumstances to be considered a top-level NFL QB. If the dominoes had fallen the right way he'd be wrapping up a great career by now. Instead, all the dominoes fell wrong for him. He's been shockingly good for us.

westiedog1 likes this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Nice write up LogeSection. I know hind side is 20-20, but I can't help but wonder how much further ahead in the development of the youngsters we would be if we dispensed with Fitz all together in 2016 and had Josh as the back up/starter. Of course we also had Gailey to contend with.

19. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

This team has been competitive every single week this season besides the second half of the Oakland game. Our team plays with passion and intensity and it's actually refreshing to watch. Our offense is balanced and has done a solid job of scoring enough points to win games. We have a component OC and I'm scared we're gonna lose him soon :/

westiedog1 likes this.
  20. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

I am proud of them, they are playing as hard as they can, some details will be worked out with experience. But I gotta admit I chuckled when Romo called Mac's defense related draft decisions genius. McCown has been playing good, but still can't help but feel a bit sour about him. I'm tired of discussions about him starting and whatnot, I guess we'll know the consequences of that decision next season.