Who do the Jets take if Gholston is gone?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by PinPointPenning10, Jan 18, 2008.

?

Who should the Jets take if the draft plays out as below?

1. Matt Ryan

6.2%
  2. Mike Jenkins

4.6%
  3. Sedrick Ellis

6.2%
  4. Keith Rivers

1.5%
  5. Kenny Phillips

24.6%
  6. Ryan Clady

7.7%
  7. DeSean Jackson

9.2%
  8. Quentin Groves

3.1%
  9. Other Player

9.2%
  10. Take the best possile trade down option, even if it's not full value.

27.7%
  1. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

What if the top 5 unfolds like this, which is quite possible:

1. MIA-Dorsey/C. Long
    2. STL-C.Long/Dorsey
    3. ATL-McFadden
    4. OAK-Gholston
    5. KC-J. Long

In this situation, who do we take? This is the bad thing about having 6th pick--if Matt Ryan doesn't go top 5, we're in a bad situation. I tried to take the most likely 8 picks, but there are many possilities. Thoughts?

#1 PinPointPenning10, Jan 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  2. Quack

Quack New Member

I don't see a viable trade down option. I don't think Dallas would even give us their two firsts (and that's it) for our #6 pick, not that our FO would even take that. Reach as it is, I would go for Jeff Otah. We brought in Stacey Andrews last off season and will be targeting him again. He can play guard as well as tackle and we would be set on the offensive line for years. Three first round picks? Ridiculous, I know. Who the fuck else would we pick, though? DeSean Jackson or Early Doucet? I mean yeah, it would be nice to see Schott run his offense (spread) with a full complement of receivers but if we're forced into a situation where it is OL, WR or QB, we can either take a young Chad clone (Matt Ryan) or one of two quarterbacks that I'm not so crazy about (though I would feel much more confident playing Woodson than Brohm and I'm a fricking' Louisville fan!).

Really, we should have a /wrists option here, man. Just to make it fair.

3. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

I'd try to trade down, even if it meant taking a beating on the value chart. Considering the current state of their secondary, I wonder if you could get the Saints to trade up for Jenkins who is a distinct possibility for the Pats at #7.

If I couldn't trade down, I think I'd go with Jenkins or Phillips. Since there isn't a player that fits our needs and is a decent value (Groves is a massive reach), I'd try to build around Rhodes/Revis in hopes of creating a dominant secondary.

4. Tumer

Tumer New Member

I'd love to trade down and pick up two later first rounders but nobody has em except Dallas at 22 and 29. If they have to stay put I take Ryan and pray. It's too early to tell though right now. Have to wait for free agency and the combine to play out. It'd be interesting to do this poll again in early April.

5. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

i don?t see any trade down option (i don?t think we should acept a late 2nd/early 3rd for dropping 10 spots, or something like that), so i think we should strengthen our strength, and go DB, cuz the value and need is there. I?d take Phillips

6. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Ity would have to be either Ryan Clady the RT or Kenny Phillips because he would be the BPA

7. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

I am for Desean Jackson or Phillips, Jackson is a spread the field guy and would help out with the running game, Phillips would give us a dangerous center field and with how our pass rush is looking it is needed

8. wildaces

wildaces Banned

San Diego could be a possibility to trade down with. They are in need of a Safety, but I don't see enough value. Maybe 1st and 3rd this year, and 1st next year.

9. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Jacksonville is a possibility also since they seem to need a DE or a CB. To early to tell before the combine however.

10. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

Ryan Clady would suck at RT

11. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I voted other and would choose Limas Sweed. I think he will one day wind up being a top flight #1 WR in the the league. It gives us that big target we've been lacking in the red zone and sets up the eventual replacement for Coles. I know people think that we have too many other needs to go WR in rd 1 but if you believe a guy can one day become top 10 at his position you pull the trigger regardless.

12. DraftaFullBack

Sweed will probably be there in the second round.

13. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Has his stock really dropped that much because of the injury? I figured he was a lock to be the 1st WR off of the board. I knew his combine would play a big part in that - but I don't really have any doubts that he will run a respectable enough 40 to keep his stock from dropping.

14. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

He is ranked as an early to mid second rounder now, I love him to but not for 6 pick money

15. nyj55

nyj55 Member

You've obviously never seen him play if you think he is a chad clone

16. DraftaFullBack

Unless he has an amazing combine I don't see him going in the first, unless it's to a team like the Titans who pick late in the first and are desperate for a WR.

17. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

What is his skill set, I have actually not really seen him play much, only read a bit about him

18. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Safety is now an immensely important position in the NFL. That position has never been more important in league history than it is right now. Next to Rhodes, the Jets have been a mess at the other safety spot. Hence, I voted for Phillips.

19. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Decent NFL arm, seems to be smart, good leader, would make for a good face of a franchise.
    He reminds me of Brad Johnson and Matt Hasselbeck- does many things good, but none great, he won't hurt a team, he'll win if the team around him is solid, etc.

20. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

I either go with Kenny Phillips or one of the top two WRs (Malcom Kelly or DeSean Jackson). I think I like Kelly better though. So if Gholston is not there, it has to be either the safety or WRs: #1 Kelly, #2 Jackson.