Which OL prospects fit a wide split formation

Discussion in 'Draft' started by bishop, Apr 4, 2020.

1. bishop

bishop Member

I heard someone mention that G Fant fits the wide split formation Gase and Douglas wants to employ. So which ot fits the mold. None of them come from an air raid system which use this concept and Douglas will draft to fit this system it is a Baltimore trait.

2. bishop

bishop Member

Josh Jones comes from an air raid offense at U of Houston. Maybe a trade back candidate or a second round pick

3. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Explains why they went so hard on IOL.
    If our 2nd and a 3rd can be used to get our OT at the end of a first, that leaves no 11 open for one of the top 3 WR. #yay
    Maybe our new GM and team president know what they’re doin.
    https://www.footballxos.com/wide-line-splits-math-meets-physics/

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but my understanding is as follows:

Thomas better fits a man blocking scheme, and may not be a very good fit for that scheme.

If Wirfs can make the transition to the left side, he would be a very good fit. One of his weaknesses is that he's supposedly susceptible to an inside rush on the right side. On the left side, that could mean that he's weaker going to his left, which could spell trouble for speed rushers, but his problems with inside rushers could go away.

Wills is supposedly mobile and athletic. If he can make the transition to the left side, he should be a good fit

If Becton will work hard and fix his technical deficiencies, he could be a very good fit, as he is mobile, quick and athletic for his size, but a smaller, faster rusher might be able to beat him to the inside.

Jones would supposedly be a very good fit as he is athletic, agile.

5. bishop

bishop Member

Another rumor I heard today was a trade down with Atlanta at 16. I think we have a winner. I think it will be Jones with a trade back.

6. bishop

bishop Member

That is the article I read before posting. Great read.

7. NCJetsfan

Where did you hear the rumor? FJF must have heard the same rumor.

8. bishop

bishop Member

A blog on YouTube this afternoon I dont know how real it is though.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. bishop

bishop Member

Jets Talk 24/7

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

You didn't mention that if Atlanta is looking to trade up to get a DT, the host had an idea of trading Q. Williams straight up for Atlanta's #16 pick. I would do that in a NY minute. I never wanted Williams. I wanted Josh Allen. Williams is very talented, seems like a great kid, but Edge is much more important than DT, and having two first round picks could be awesome for the Jets and set up their whole draft.

There are several difference scenarios that could then play out.

#1 At #11 the Jets take one of the top 4 OTs and at #16 they take Justin Jefferson
    #2 At #11 the Jets take one of the top 4 OTs and at #16 they take K'Lavon Chaisson
    #3 At #11 the Jets take one of Lamb/Jeudy and at #16 they take Josh Jones
    #4 at #11 the Jets take one of the top 4 OTs and at #16 they take Josh Jones, then then potentially have a bookend set of tackles for the next 10 years.

They'd still have 3 more picks to take whichever they wanted needed between WR, OL, CB or Edge. They could then add a RB or another OL or WR in the 4th and 5th rounds

That could, and quite possibly would be a franchise-changing move. It would give them a great young core of talent, and could set them up to be a playoff team by next season and a contender for the 5-10 years after that. Yes it would hurt the DL depth and run defense some (good DTs are in the draft every year, however, so it's not like it would cripple the D), but it would help balance the team and fill more holes.

11. Wirfs
    Becton
    Jones
    Jackson
    Cleveland
    Pearl
    MAYBE Niang

J-Raw24 and Mr mittens like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/scouts...irst-round-choice-in-2020-nfl-draft/313276508

Scouts weigh in on Mekhi Becton, who could be Jets' first round choice in 2020 NFL Draft
    Trading back and taking another tackle could still be an option
    By Ralph Vacchiano | 6:49PM

Ralph Vacchiano | Facebook | Twitter | Archive

If the Jets are going to draft an offensive lineman at No. 11, many expect they'll be left with the last available of the Big Four tackles. And there's an increasing belief that the last one standing will be Louisville's massive Mekhi Becton.

The 6-7, 364-pounder would literally be a huge pick for the Jets, and if he's the last of the top four still on the board, he could be difficult for them to pass up.

But that's assuming the Jets don't think the Big Four is really a Big Five.

Some scouts do, which adds a bit of a mystery to what the Jets will do if they stay at 11, or whether they might be willing to trade down a little bit. Becton, Iowa's Tristan Wirfs, Alabama's Jedrick Wills and Georgia's Andrew Thomas are generally considered the head of the class.

But some teams think that at least one, and possibly as many as three other tackles aren't that far off.

"People keep leaving out (USC's) Austin Jackson," an NFC scout told SNY. "And a lot of people seem to like (Houston's) Josh Jones and the kid from Boise State (Ezra Cleveland). Maybe they're not right up there with the other four, but I'm telling you some teams are going to have them ranked awfully close."

That could include the Jets, who have looked into all three - Jackson (6-5, 322), Jones (6-5, 319) and Cleveland (6-6, 311) -- as GM Joe Douglas continues his deep dive into the offensive line prospects who'll be available in the NFL Draft next week. It's unclear how the Jets have them rated and whether Douglas would consider any of them at No. 11. But the possibility that they all could be worthy of a Top 15-20 pick - "easily," another scout said - opens up the thought of the Jets trading down and still landing what some consider a top-tier tackle.

The general consensus, though, is there is at least some separation between those three and the "Big Four", which includes Becton, who is the biggest of the bunch by far and still has remarkable athleticism and 5.1 speed. It seems all but certain that two, and maybe three, will go in the Top 10 and the projected order depends on who is asked.

More and more league insiders, though, seem to think Becton is the most likely to slip out of the Top 10.

"He'll be the fourth one off the board," said one NFL source. "He probably was always the fourth best, but then people fell in love with his size. The more they look, though, the more it's obvious the others are more pro-ready prospects and have fewer concerns."

The "concerns" about Becton aren't big enough to knock him out of the Top 15, of course. Most of them revolve around his weight, which leads to worries about injuries, about maintaining his quickness, and about keeping it manageable throughout his career. He's so strong and agile, though, that his size could also be a temptation for teams looking for an anchor on the left side of their line.

Several sources said the belief is the Jets would prefer the 6-5, 315-pound Thomas or the 6-4, 312-pound Wills (most think the 6-5, 320-pound Wirfs will be long gone by the time the Jets pick). And that again opens up the question of whether the Jets, faced with the choice of Becton, would prefer to trade down.

Trading down does have advantages, especially considering Douglas' desire to build the Jets through the draft. He'd likely have to stay inside the Top 15 to still be able to land Jackson, who was quarterback Sam Darnold's former teammate (though he was only a backup at the time).

"He's a gem if he gets the right coach who can fix his technique problems," one scout said. "With a little work, he could be as good as the other four."

Douglas could potentially drop even lower if he sets his eyes on Jones, whom the scout said "is in the same boat as Jackson, but a little less polished," or Cleveland, who is undersized but has "unlimited potential if he bulks up," the scout said.

It's possible neither of them would be considered Day 1 starters, but that could be fine for the Jets who signed George Fant in free agency to be their left tackle and return Chuma Edoga, another USC product, at right tackle. Douglas did enough with the line this offseason to buy the Jets some time to develop whichever offensive linemen they draft.

All he has to do is decide if he wants to take one in the first round - and which of the seven he really wants.

I find it impossible to believe that the Jets prefer Thomas considering he is not a scheme fit at all. I think those sources are blowing smoke trying to get one of the teams ahead of them to take Thomas.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't give a fuck about scheme fit because there's a good chance Gase is gone in a year from now.

14. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

They will most likely still run air raid schemes with the same o line scheme. Baltimore does it, philly has done it. New England has done it. Arizona has started doing it. Not all are full blown air raid. But the o line schemes have wide split scheme incorporated. Some to a lesser degree. Douglas is building for the future.

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

All I'm saying (and this goes for any player we draft) is don't pick players who are weaker in most schemes but stronger specifically in Gase's. There's a very good chance that won't end well.

16. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Everything JD has done with the OL at this point screams of being the best scheme fit not the biggest name. That says to me the the basic scheme is set for the next few years regardless of who the HC happens to be. It's long overdue imo. On this basis, if Thomas is available at 11 I can see him trading down a few spots and targeting Jones who is a big scheme fit and may well end up being a far better player for the Jets than Thomas would be. I don't think he takes a WR in the first round.

17. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Honestly to me it screams to me that Joe cast a wide net of OL prospects, that he’d wait a specific round to get a guy that will fit the scheme and need as well.

If Becton was considered 3rd or 4th in his board, he may say...well at 11, Jeudy has a higher grade at a position of need and you get more “value” on the pick...what that in return says that he has grades on the OL prospects that will lead him to believe he can find a fit in later rounds.

i maybe super gullible but I trust Joe more then any of the previous GM’s. If he shows that he will wait a round or two to get a tackle, he may see the value better for that scheme in that round. We will see...

18. NCJetsfan

Although I love the idea of trading down an adding a draft pick or two, I think it's risky. Tampa Bay needs OL help. Other teams do as well. If the Jets want Jones, imo they'd better just take him at #11 or they risk losing him. It would really suck to pass on Lamb/Jeudy, trade down with the idea of taking Jones, and then Jones get taken by another team ahead of the Jets. I don't like Jackson at all. I like Ezra Cleveland, but think he will be a bit of a project as he needs to put on weight and get a lot stronger. Taking Cleveland in the teens or early 20s might be a bigger reach than taking Jones at #11. IMO the only way to salvage that screw up would be to take Justin Jefferson, but if they were going to take a WR, they should have just stayed at #11 and taken Lamb/Jeudy.

I agree with your point about scheme fit, and hopefully, that's what Douglas is doing. Even if Gase does get fired, I hope that Douglas is smart enough to hire someone who runs a very similar scheme. I don't want any more days of having to turn over the roster due to scheme changes with coaching changes. We need stability.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

If this happens, sign me up for option #3 in a heartbeat.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Jefferson + another 2nd + a 3rd or 4th is greater than any of the top 3 receivers imo. I like Lamb and Jeudy, but I think Jefferson plus 2 more chances of starters in the next few rounds is a better option. Obviously this requires us to get a decent offer. But I would love a trade back if it's worth it.

ColoradoContrails likes this.