Which is it?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by G-man, Nov 12, 2012.

1. G-man

G-man New Member

Can Sanchez not read defenses to know what route his receivers will run......OR....can receivers not read the defense to know where to go?

The fault must be shared, seems 65% receivers and 35% Sanchez. ????

2. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Can't every receiver be running the wrong way.

3. boston_jet

boston_jet New Member

I'd say it's probably a 70/35 split. But who really knows?

4. no psls

no psls Banned

I see you're a math major :rofl::rofl::rofl:

5. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

It's probably 50/50, but you'd need the All 22 footage, plus the playbook to really know. But a good QB can make a play even when it gets broken down. In the Army we say, "Once the bullets start flying, the plan goes to sh*t."

6. Clovis

Clovis New Member

In Rex's book, especially the way he held his presser yesterday he must think less than 10% of the blame is on Sanchez saying its "everyone's fault"

11 players on offense and Sanches is only 1 of the 11

7. Jim-Jet

Jim-Jet Banned

I think you have discounted the 105% effort. :)

8. Jim-Jet

Jim-Jet Banned

Before I see anymore percentages could you please provide some indication how you arrived at the proposed breakdown. When you see a ball hit the dirt - how you decide why the ball hit the dirt or sailed over a receivers head?

My opinion is you are simply guessing based on your personal bias but if so that is ok - and maybe this could be a fun exercise.

9. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Being that our Reciving core beyond Kerley is a absolute discrace, Sanchez isn't good enough to make players around him better. For Sanchez to be succesfull he needs 3 pro bowl wr's around him and that might not even be good enough. I say it's both 50/50

10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Receivers dont read the defense and then decide which route to run. if they did how the he'll would the QB know where to throw to? receivers run the routes of the play called regardless of coverage.

the only exception is a blitz. in the event if a blitz the receiver should know, depending on the play call and where the blitz is coming front, whether to run the original route or the blitz route.

so your entire premise is flawed.

11. G-man

G-man New Member

You didn't know receivers need to read defenses as well? Not every play but many of them their are options. The big knock on Santonio is he keeps running the wrong routes. You think he has no options and can't remember which route he was supposed to run. Geez.

12. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

LoL @ this. Seriously is that how you think things work? Receivers, ( well good receivers ) make adjustments at the line all the time with QBs. Sometimes even mid play. They're all trained to read the defenses and to make the right calls. At least once yesterday ( to Gates ) sanchez threw the ball into the perfect place for Gates to make an Out and catch the ball on the run. Gates runs a stop rather then an out, Incompletion.

Also based on the fact that preseason up till now both coaches Ryan and Sparano have said that no one has a better grasp of the offense then Sanchez. I think it's our WRs and incapable RT that's screwing over our season. Kerley and Green right now are the only skill guys I'd say is worthy of an NFL roster. and even that is as a #2 RB and a Slot WR

13. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

We have a young and inexperienced receiving core, a guy like Clyde Gates is going to make a mistake like that because he is still learning, we have no veterans out there to help Sanchez. That being said, Sanchez also has his own faults, one thing I can't stand about Sanchez is he always tries to make a play instead of taking the safe route. I.e. he fumbles trying to throw the ball at the last second mid-sack yesterday, when he should have just taken the sack. I also rarely see Sanchez throw the ball away, he is always trying to force throws. His decision making is by far his worst quality.

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

no, that is exactly how receiving works.

your example is either the receiver running the wrong route than what was called or the QB mistaking what route the receiver was supposed to run, not the receiver and the QB simply having different reads and making different decisions. no team depends on the QB and receiver reading the defense and hoping they make the exact same read. that is completely asinine. the QB looks at the defense, and based on knowing the routes the receivers are running decided where he should go with the ball. no offense would function if the QB doesn't really know where the receiver is going to be, and simply hopes the WR makes the same read and runs the route the QB hopes he will.

the chemistry between a receiver and QB is about the QB knowing exactly how the receiver is going to run the route called. but that is about whether the WR is going to break at 4 yards or 6 yards based on the coverage, not running a different route.

15. Ajitator

Disagree, But the argument is not black/white here. While I agree most cases where a WR is expected to read the defense are option plays called, or blitz "hot-routes" but there are also WR_QB tandems that have worked together enough that they know,. If I see man on man coverage with a single high ( or no ) safety help, I'm running a go route. or If i see cover 2 i'm getting to the middle of the field to beat the safety. Just because it's unfathomable that our WR and QB would have that kind of connection, Doesn't mean it doesn't happen in the NFL.

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Can't believe they continue to let passrushers go in completely unblocked. Nobody is making any adjustments at the LOS. Unacceptable.

17. vonbonds

vonbonds Member

I am pretty sure that is EXACTLY how it works in the NFL. This is why they practice so much and watch film. The NFL is a very dynamic league when it comes to routes and decisions being made. This is why only teams with elite QB's can win the Super Bowl. They demand the receivers be on the same page and only target players that are making the correct reads.

Look at some of the horrible INT's Peyton Manning has thrown this year. They are working it out in practice and each week they get better and better.

18. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

THIS! I can't believe how incapable the team is at making pre-snap reads and adjustments at the line.

19. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

i have seen Sanchez look at his receivers and make a motion that they ran the wrong route than any time in the last 3 years. Yesterday he threw a pass and immediately was telling the receiver he ran the wrong route. I think he doesn't trust receivers and that will mess with timing and accuracy -- cause him to second guess and hold the ball a bit longer.

20. Ajitator

This +++

/filler