Which 2nd year QB will make the biggest leap?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Jun 29, 2022.

1. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

This is all i see on these morning sports programs these days. I listen to these yahoos all the time and they're supposed to be the widely intelligent, voice of reason and vast knowledge?

I they're all a big crock of shit.

Just a big bunch of blowhards not trying to accurately answer the question, merely trying to create click bait in a barren, wasteland of football news this time of year. None of them that i can tell is using any amount of common sense to answer that question?

Personally, I think the way to most accurately answer this question is to find out which team will have the most talent surrounding said QB? Which coaching staff will do the best job of making the young QB's job easier?

Of all the QB's picked in the 1st round last year, I can't see a single QB that has a significant edge in developing? Maybe Mac Jones based on him playing with an established playoff roster? But all in all, I put all of them on the very same starting line.

Trevor Lawrence - The Jags really did a lot to try and give Lawrence the necessary supporting cast for him to succeed. However, my problem with them is their existing roster. Besides the Jets I've always considered the Jags to be one of the least talented rosters as well. So while I believe the Jags are building a good roster and hiring the Philly ex HC is another great move, I can't see the talent being there?

Trey Lance - For my money, I don't there's a better roster that has a young QB? The 49ers are a SB ready team as we speak. So if I had to say which QB would make the biggest leap? I have no problem saying Lance just because the 49ers have everything, including a great CS to put Lance in the very best position possible to make confidence building plays and develop their QB.

Honestly, in Justin Fields case I have no problem placing the Bears dead last in this exercise. I can't see much of anything Bears management did to surround Fields with talent? I really don't think they have much talent to begin with? I'll welcome any feedback you have regarding the Bears. I really don't pay much attention to other teams.I

Mac Jones - has a pretty good roster surrounding him from last year. With that said, I don't think they did much for Jones in the offseason? Cole Strange is a good player, so is Tyquan Thorton, but I can't see those additions making Jones so incredibly better than he was last season? They really weren't the most coveted players in the draft, especially given where they were taken.

Zach Wilson - I have no doubt JD has transformed this roster. I also have no problem saying JD provided Zach with more weapons than anyone else this offseason. But the Jets are coming from a very bad place. There were like two years ago the very least talented roster in the league. Now they have pretty good talent, in fact I'd rank the Jets roster like 3rd behind the 49ers and patsies. But they don't have any chemistry built up. An awful lot of new faces that have never worked with each other. A pretty young CS that's still learning the ropes in my opinion.

So my rankings look like this....

1) I think Trey Lance is in the very most advantageous position this season. The niners are the very best overall team in the bunch.
    2) I put Mac Jones second, however I also believe Jones doesn't have as high of a ceiling coming into the league. There's a good chance that Jones doesn't develop much further or simply caps out soon.
    3) Zach Wilson - Of the top 3, Zach is undoubtedly the most talented as far as I'm concerned. His team also made enormous strides in a positive direction. We'll see how fast the Jets can come together as a team and start winning more games than losing. There's a good surpass to
    4) Trevor Lawrence - He's going to get better but I think he'll be somewhat limited by a still developing roster.
    5) For the reasons i already stated, i can't see Fields doing much of anything. I feel like the Bears GM gave Fields the same treatment as Mike Macagnan gave Sam Darnold.

What's your opinion?

2. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

I'd say Zach.

Trevor Lawrence has no continuity. In 12 months, he's on his second HC, second OC, and second scheme/playbook. That's a huge disruption for the whole offense. Big disadvantage for him.

Trey is in a good position, but he got the least playing time out of anyone on your list, and I suspect that he'll have more growing pains than the others for that reason.

Mac Jones benefits from a decent roster, a great coaching staff, and continuity. However, they really kept the training wheels on for him last year. That makes his stats look good, but he probably didn't learn as much as a guy like Zach who got thrown in the deep end.

I think Zach has got the best of all worlds. Absent injury, he has very good weapons, a very good OL (as long as Mekhi can play), and a very good RB duo. Absent injuries, I would put all of our position groups on offense in the top half of the NFL. He has 100% continuity in terms of same coaching staff/scheme/playbook. And he already played a full year with the training wheels off, which wasn't true for any of the other 2nd year QBs.

Given the massive roster upgrades on offense, I don't think Zach has to play much better in order to look much better. If he also plays better (and we all expect he will), I think he'll be a mid-tier QB this year. I wouldn't expect that much from any of the other 2nd year QBs.

3. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Zach Wilson

4. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

Very good post, I agree with all of your points.

I will also add that I think the upgrades in the TE room will make a world of difference to Zach.

We also now have a RB who is reputed to be a very good receiver as well as a great runner in Hall.

Though, I agree with your OL comment, I am in the corner of those having extreme doubts about Mekhi. Hopefully the addition of Tomlinson means that we can at least have slight OL improvement over last season even wo Mekhi.

Nyjets4eva and WilsonJetsFan like this.
  5. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Zack for sure. Mac Jones played close to his ceiling. Fields has a lot of room to improve but he has the worst roster to work with. Lance, once he plays a full slate of games, will be exposed.

I'm not saying Wilson will be the best of them in year 2, but he will make the biggest jump. My opinion of course.

WilsonJetsFan likes this.
  6. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

good imitation by you

FJF likes this.
  7. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Too many question marks where they don't belong in the op. Made me read it in an Australian accent.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Too many new faces in the Jets offense?
    From last years opening day it’s returning 4/5 of the o line
    Wrs 1-4
    2 rbs

9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The Jets will likely start 10 to 12 new starters this year.

On Def:
    1. Lawson
    2. Johnson
    3. Sauce
    4. DJ Reed
    5. Whitehead
    6. Joyner
    On Offense
    7. Hall
    8. CJ Uzomah
    9. Tomlinson
    10. Becton
    11. Wilson as 3rd WR
    and ST
    12. Possible new kicker in Zuerlain.

You could even add in E. Moore as he only started 6 games last year.

In regards to the offense one could look at in a different way and say we will have a new LT in Fant, new LG, new RG and new RT. Only McGovern comes back starting the same OL position as last year. New starting WRs in Moore and Wilson, new TE and new RB. The argument can be made that the offenss only returns 3 starters that started the season from last year in Zach, McGovern and Davis.

#9 Noam, Jun 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    Brook! likes this.
  10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I too was listening to one of those hacks (Sirius 88?) and when they came to the Bears with Justin Fields, they said both were terrible last season, Bears did nothing to get better, but Justin's feet will allow him to prevail, and the Bears will be much better this year.

Justin's FEET? wtf

11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I would rank them:

Lance
    Zach
    Lawrence
    Jones
    Fields

NoodleArm, Brook! and apjbfc like this.
  12. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

looks about right

13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'm putting Lance at the top because he's in the best situation.

K'OB and Noam like this.
  14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Lawrence. He's the most talented of the bunch and the Jaguars broke the bank in free agency. That spending is going to hurt them in a couple years, but it'll likely help a great deal next year.

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The OP is basically, "whoever has the best roster will have the best 2nd year". But it will go deeper than that.

Davis Mills. He belongs in the conversation. IMO Mills makes the biggest leap overall. He had the 2nd worst roster and the second best rookie season. He is a smart guy and they have given him more help, including added protection and stealing Metchie in the 2nd round. With Cooks, Metchie, and Collins, plus an upgraded o-line, I think he makes the biggest positive stat jump.

Mac Jones is probably next. People act like they know what his ceiling is. Well, if his ceiling is completing 68% of his passes for over 3800 yards and 22 TDs with WRs most people cant name, than imagine what his ceiling would be with explosive receivers. Jones was coached well but had less surrounding talent to work with than Cam Newton did the year before, and he clearly showed he was the best QB taken in 2021. The only reason he wont have the biggest leap is because he already excelled year 1.

Trevor Lawrence will likely be third. Not just because the Jags spent a lot upgrading their roster. But because they are upgrading from Urban Myer to Doug Pederson. Now his HC is a genuine QB developer and good tactician. Plus TL has a lot of room to improve over that joke of a season. I expect to see Lawrence start developing into what people were expecting on draft day.

Zach Wilson. We've beat the bushes to give Zach all the help we could muster. Now its on him to take advantage of it. Zach continually looked the most rattled and confused compared to the three QBs above, and we basically had to put the training wheels on to keep him from flaming out. He has a chance to be first on this list because the three guys above him are ahead of him and they have less room for improvement, and he has the most weapons around him.

Justin Fields. He's the one 2nd year guy whose team may have actually gotten worse this offseason. But, like Zach, he has a lot of room to improve. If Fields is going to improve he is going to have to use the adversity he faces to raise his game. However, he is a talented athlete so if he keeps his head on straight that could happen. He has less pressure on him to produce this season because of his situation.

Trey Lance. He didn't have enough season 1 data to merit a season 2 jump. He is still in season 1.5 and his roster isn't any better than it was last season. He may not even start that many games.

16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree.

I would put Mac Jones 2nd as he gets to play us twice a year.
    Zach 3rd due to having a supporting cast around him. He has no excuses this year.
    Lawrence 4th. The Jags upgraded coaching and talent.
    Fields 5th only because of the bad team around him. But, he has the easiest path as he had a truly terrible year last year. 12 Fumbles in only playing half a season. That's worse than what Sanchez normally did in a full season and Sanchez was the all time NFL leader in fumbles per game after his four seasons. Field's lack of pocket presence really hurt him on the field and it kept putting him off the field. The man has a ton of talent and is supposed to a hard worker and great person but he needs to keep himself on the field and learn to avoid the big hits. Both Fields and Zach were Sanchez bad in terms of sack percentage when pressured but Zach is very good at avoiding taking big hits while Fields lack of awareness at Chicago and OSU routinely results in big hits and fumbles. That being said if Fields can make progress in avoiding hits he could be scary good with his athleticism and his arm. Fields could take a really big leap this year which makes me want to move up to one, But, I think that can be said about every QB on this list. I would not be shocked to see any of the 5 have a really big year or any of the 5 (except Jones) have a terrible year.

17. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

That division is the Colts to lose.

18. REVISion

That's fine. Lawrence is still in an easier division than Jones, Wilson, Lance, or Fields.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

While I will agree Davis Mills deserves to be in the conversation, and I like him, the question is 'who will make the biggest leap', and Mills played pretty well last season. It helps accomplishing a leap if you start from a bottom rung.

The answer has to be Wilson. If he doesn't make the biggest leap out of that group then things will be very bad for Joe Douglas & crew

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. REVISion

I think it's pretty easily Lawrence. Lawrence was just about as bad as Wilson last year, is more naturally talented than Wilson, and the Jags went on a spending spree this offseason to help him. They signed a guard, three WRs, and a TE, all but one of whom are immediate starters for them. Their entire offense will look different other than a few returning OL. Even their RB will be new since Etienne missed the entire season last year.

We did a lot to help Wilson this offseason - a new guard, three new TEs, a new RB and a new WR - but a lot of those guys are rookies. The comparable offensive help the Jags added were all established players, so it's to be expected that they will likely contribute more than our guys right away.

The Jags also added a very good, offensive-minded head coach. They're going to be screwed in a few years due to the spending but I expect the Jags to be quite a bit better next year than last.

BrowningNagle likes this.