Where are we as a franchise?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LI JET FAN, Feb 26, 2008.

1. LI JET FAN

LI JET FAN New Member

I ask myself where are we as a franchise. What direction are we headed? I look at other sport franchises as the Yankees,Red Sox,Cowboys,Steelers and that other team in Massachutsess and I look at the Jets. We are in the "Twilight Zone" of Sport's franchises. We bottom out as a franchise we become somewhat mediocre headed to being competive and go back to being mediocre and bottoming out. I look at the Giants same town, same stadium but they've been to the SB 4x winning 3 of them . The Jets SB appearances since 69' 0!!! We've had coaches with experience, winning Super Bowls with other teams. We've had head coachs with no head coaching experience, some have coached at the college level but we never have had that one special season. Now I had hoped that Tannenbaum and Mangini would get us going in the right direction. However the handling of the Pete Kendall bonus crap. The insistence of Mangini to play a 3-4 scheme when we don't have the personnel has left me wondering if these guys are the real deal. What's your take on the Jets since 69? Please post your opinions.

2. Jets18

Jets18 New Member

A sinking ship

3. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

After two years -- a first draft of 10-6, and the league response at 4-12, the jury is still out on Round 3.

4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Year three should tell us alot. We were up, then down...now where will we go?

5. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

Taking off the rose colored glasses, this is where we are:

--Heading toward Rangers-level infamy when it comes to a championship. How long will it be before they start serenading us in New England with "Nineteen Sixty- Eight"

--Heading toward our 2nd quarter century as 2nd class citizens in our "own ballpark"

--Heading toward an era where the stadium is packed with corporation-distributed tickets which means packed with yuppie non-fans during good times, and nobody in the seats when they stink

Where are the Jets? Nowhere...same place as their fans.

I'd like to think winning a Super Bowl would change that, but the stadium situation still neutralizes it.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Rebuilding, not entirely successfully at this point.

After next season we will either be the dregs or rebuilding successfully. I have no idea which way we're going to go because this offseason is going to tell the tale.

7. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Between the observed play of the Giants and their personnel as a blueprint, and then strict comparison to analysis of our squad, a very clear directive should have been painted to anyone with a shread of a brain as to what it takes to win in this league.

Hopefully, Tangini has been taking very copious exacting notes. The tale will start to be told Friday and next Monday as FA deals start to be struck. If it is next Friday 3/7 and we still have not signed anyone, and we watched as great players who could truly help us get swallowed up, then clearly this franchise is completely clueless and the results will show themselves next year in a "here we go again" fashion. I, for one, will feel part of my heart melting away - a heart that has faithfully held together for the Green and White since 1967.

8. Denny

Denny Active Member

......The JETS will be allowed to win the SuperBowl right after Joe Namath passes away. It was in the contract he signed with the Devil so while he is alive his immortality will never be challenged.

Seriously, it will happen when the right decisions are made, good planning and execution by all. Right now the JETS are short of that. They need that franchise QB show himself. CP is done, who will be the next guy? When the O-line solidifies and they commit to a serious running game that D-line gets sured up we will be closer for sure. Come back in a year and ask again.

9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

10. JetsLookingforDWare

We're a rebuilding franchise, but with a ridiculously impatient fanbase that seems to have convinced themselves they know better than the coaches we've had (because most of them sucked ass).

IMO Mangini and Tanny have one of the hardest jobs in the NFL because of this ridiculous pessimism this fanbase has for anything that they only kind of, sort of know. No one flipped their shit after Parcells' 6-10 second season in Dallas, but Mangini's bad season to Jets fans is everything from historically bad (BS) to a sign that he has no idea what he's doing. 10-6 never really happened with the way some people talk/act.

11. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

WE NEED A NEW OWNER.

BUT WE ARE THE ONLY TEAM IN THE NFL THAT SHARES A STADIUM WITH ANOTHER NFL TEAM.

THAT STADIUM IS CALLED GIANTS STADIUM.

Look right above us, guys. Wave hello. It's the Devil Rays.

12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

13. falcon4e

falcon4e Member

We're a rebuilding team who put too much stock in a fluke playoff run in 2006. While most expected this year to be a "step back" (8-8, 7-9) many were surprised by the 4-12 record.

As of now, Mangini is an overrated coach. Year 3 will be all about if Mangini can finally bring more of his guys in for his system and the development of Kellen Clemens.

14. All Star

All Star Active Member

I need to see what the offseason looks like before commenting.

15. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

we are in 15 year cycles so i expect to be deep in playoffs around 2012-2013.

jil

16. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

17. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

Well, the question will be easier to answer in a few weeks after the start of Free Agency as we head to the draft...then again re-evaluate after the draft.

As much as I want to hear news - good news about the Jets - it's too much of a crap shoot right now to have any idea of where we are...

18. JetsLookingforDWare

QFT.

I don't see what the point of what happened in the regular season bother what happens in the future. We lost alot of games. We didn't have a bad offseason last years as most of the players acquired were some of our more productive players (TJ, Coleman, Revis, Harris). We have money to spend (everyone does but hey we're not the Skins') and a very high potential draft spot in every round. Theres no reason to think the team won't be better (even significantly better) next season, we've had two productive offseason so far, and the teams level has only increased.

19. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

This is where the Jets' are at...."Bad News"...buddy. 2 years later, Jets' haven't built any of there lines O or D. Now here is year 3 & there are so many weakness's that they all can't be fixed in 1 off-season. They have 2/5 of a quality O-line & still need a good blocking/receiving TE.

Defensively...they are a lil closer than offensively scheme wise, but not talent wise. They really only have 1/7 of there front seven starters on board. That 1 player is David Harris. 2 players if you count D-Rob as 'DE'....not NT {And he is reportedly being shopped}. All the other players are good back-ups.

Trading down or acquiring more draft picks is so crucial to Jets' success, as well as acquiring F.A.'s. But as we all have noticed, many of the best F.A.'a are being franchised or re-signed. Jets' need to be more aggressive in bringing in more quality unsigned F.A.'s after the draft. The Jets' talent pool is very shallow.

Camouflaging the true talent level of the team by having winning & losing records...doesn't erase the true talent level of the team. The Eagles for example have pretty good O & D lines & maintain a strength year after year.
    The Jets' have yet to achieve that. The Jet's beed to also acquire better quality F'A.'s. The Kassell & Chatham & now Hawkins signings have got to stop. Tannenbaum has to take more responsibility for the talent acquired. Mangini can only coach what he has to work with. So in that regard, I blame the Jets' poor season more on Tannenbaum...than Mangini. Mangini actually only coached what he had.

20. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

Mangini, Tannenbaum and Johnson don't give a s--- about what you, me or any of these other poor slobs are saying...they continue to arrogantly do things their own way (which is their right) but in total opposition to what we've all been screaming for whether it's dumping Chad, signing Randy Moss, or signing a legit NT.

I'm not disagreeing that we fans are impatient, but I'm tired of constantly being berated by you and others because we bitch about how the team is being run at times. That's our rights as fans. We're paying the bills. And by the way, this team merits criticism. For 4-12 and for nearly 40 years without a Super Bowl appearance.

--------------------------------

Finally, saying that WE, THE IMPATIENT FANS make Tangini's jobs more difficult is like believing that a pilot's ability to fly the plane is adversely affected by passengers who don't buckle their seatbelits or stow their tray tables.