Wheel of Time coming to TV

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by xxedge72x, May 1, 2016.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_Ne...of-Time-will-be-adapted-for-TV/2401461941363/

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-wheel-of..._source=gizmodo_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/...-tv-series-could-be-the-next-game-of-thrones/

I'm currently on the last book of the Wheel of Time series and this series is fantastic. I read all of A Song of Ice and Fire before it came to HBO, and it turned out to be one of the best shows on TV. I think Wheel of Time (TV) has potential to be even better than Game of Thrones.

It is more along the lines of Lord of the Rings than Ice and Fire, less grimdark and sex, more fantasy. It is somewhere in between, and overall a fantastic, but long story.

If you're interested in this genre and want to get ahead of the show, I highly recommend the books. ;)

Poeman likes this.
  2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

This is great news, Ive heard this is a great series (well some of the books) and there are some duds.

But I welcome this news...Now all that matters is which studio will be backing and airing this series. Showtime should get in on this or AMC or FX

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Realistically the series is too long to convert the entire thing. They'll have to condense the content, and in doing so they can focus on the more fun aspects of it without sacrificing character development or storyline.

Trust me, it's epic.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd love to see AMC get their hands on it. That's the best American TV these days hands down, even better than HBO.

Poeman likes this.
  5. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I never did watch the cheap pilot that FXX put out to keep the rights a few months/years ago. Great series that will do well on TV.

Robert Jordan had the same problem that GRRM is having in that he wanted to explore and create everything rather than the main plot everyone loved. Unlike GRRM, he actually put a book out every year or two and they were written at about the same level.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

GRRM took forever to put out A Feast for Crows, like 5 years. I moved on from the series before it came out because the gap was so long. He took 6 years to bring out the next book after that.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the first 3 books but that was because I got to read them bam, bam, bam, coming to the series a couple of years after it was first published. Waiting for a book to read is a killer for motivation to finish the series.

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Same here

8. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

Have you watched Turn? I just started watching it and am really enjoying it so far!

In terms of the Wheel of Time series, I got to like book 10 and fizzled out. It's a really hard slog through some of those middle books, but others have said that it gets better after that point. It'll be interesting to see how the TV show approaches it all.

9. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

For those who don't know, The Wheel of Time is an extremely loooooooong (but beloved) series. It's longer than A Song of Ice and Fire / Game of Thrones, LoTR, and Harry Potter combined.

WoT is about 3.3 million words and the audiobook version is something like 17.5 days long. It could last you almost a year if you listened to it on your morning commute. If you read 250 words per minute, it would take you about 220 hours to finish the series. So if you read about an hour per day, it would take you about 7 - 8 months to finish the series. You could easily spend a year or more reading it if you're a slow reader or don't read every day.

The last 2 books were completed by Brandon Sanderson, because Robert Jordan realized that he was dying of heart issues. Jordan left detailed notes so that the series would end the way he wanted it to. As an aside, the fact that Martin doesn't use outlines is the main reason why he writes so incredibly slowly.

The theme and feel of WoT is not gritty like Game of Thrones. It has more of a classic "good versus evil" feel like LoTR. If you love Game of Thrones but don't care about LoTR, then you might not like WoT. If you love fantasy novels in general then you'll almost definitely love it.

There's tone of source material, so they'll probably have to condense things a bit. If the series takes off, they can slow it down. There's a question as to whether they'll include the prequel, or just do the main series. Obviously if it becomes as big as Game of Thrones then they'll include the prequel somehow.

10. phubbadaman

I had previously read through books 8 but waited for him to finish before I finished the series. Then he died, but Sanderson finished it (he wrote final 3 books, not 2, not that it really matters). Once the final book had a release date, I started reading them all just about a year before the last book came out. I believe I started around January 1, and I think I finished all but the last one around Christmas. Last book came out early January. So the series does take about a year to read. A few of the books in the middle are long and boring and don't move the plot along, but I didn't think they were too bad since there wasn't a year wait in between books.

11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Satisfying end to the series? Would you say the author did the series justice

12. phubbadaman

Without giving away too much, I felt the "final battle" of good vs. evil was a little lame. The other "final battle" where more than 2 people were involved was much more exciting.

Overall I was pleased with the ending. Evidently most of the final chapter was already written by Robert Jordan before he died.