What's wrorng with Lowery?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kbgreen, Nov 10, 2008.

1. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

I was watching him yesterday and there were a few too many blown coverages for me. Earlier in the year I thought he may develop into a shut down corner but now I am unsure.

Do you think it is just growing pains?

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Yes its growing pains and having Revis Christ across the field doesn't make your life easier as the #2 CB.

Lowery is a rookie, and talented rookie but a rookie. The same rule applies to him as the other rookies - wait 3 years to make a judgment... But in 2010 I have a feeling this kid will be one crafty CB.

3. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Whats wrong with Lowery? Um....

Oh yes, hes a rookie.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think it is opposing teams having enough game film on him to exploit his rookie tendencies and his physical weaknesses. Give him a year of offseason workouts and planning with guys like Revis and Rhodes and I think he will be pretty damned good, but he's going to be abused in the second half of this season I think.

5. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

he has had some horrible calls go against him, that cant help when you are thinking even touching a receiver will result in a flag. but yeah pretty much growing pains. he has shown that he can be very good in the league. with some time to develop he will be a very nice compliment to revis.

6. rillo

rillo New Member

Exactly....

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Fwiw I thought the PI call on him was unfair.

8. Baron von Jilma

Baron von Jilma New Member

Not that I disagree with you guys, I think it is just growing pains, but its amazing what a little early season success will do to let people give him a break.

9. kbgreen

I think it is called showing potential! Take Gholston, have you seen him show his potential yet? I haven't, but since Lowery has shown me some " big P" I expect a little more from him.

10. Baron von Jilma

Baron von Jilma New Member

Yea but we should wait to make any judgment on Gholston either. Way too early to say what he's going to become, just like with Lowery. But I do have high hopes for both of them.

11. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I haven't seen him blow too many coverage assignments. The thing that I have seen are normal rookie issues and him trying to do too much.

12. kbgreen

I agree, I think Gholston will pull a Justin Tuck and in two years be a monster we just have not seen his "flashes of potential" yet.

13. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I agree with everything said. There is one small technique flaw which I see: he doesn't stay low enough in his backpedal. A lot of the completions on him are the WR pushing his up the field util he rises out of his stance, then cutting underneath him. That should be correctable and we shouldn't ahve to wait until his rookie growing pains are over to do it, either.

14. since83

since83 Member

I think it's the speed issue that dropped him in the draft.

15. hazmat

hazmat New Member

As long as he is getting beat in front of him I could care less. I don't think he has given up any big plays other then the San Diego game. From a rookie corner you want to see good technique, good tackling, not giving up big plays. If teams throw at him 15 times a game they are going to complete passes.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

People have film on him now and he's not a surprise. We'll find out how good he is when he adjusts, or does not adjust, to those facts.

17. D. JETSon

D. JETSon New Member

He is Physical.... gotta love that, he is a 4th round pick and is starting, he started like wat 7-8 games? give him some time, he is good, I like what I see from him. worse case we draft a CB and move him to nickle, but i love how aggresive he is, for a 4th round pick he has been great... unlike VG

18. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

I agree with every word that you wrote.

19. Jets FTW!!

Jets FTW!! Member

no.....gholston was just a combine workout motherfucker. That's why he went so high. He will never be Justin tuck status. The sad thing is he won't be that great on the Jets, he will just be alright. That's why I hated that pick, he didn't deserve to go that high....game speed and combine workout are two totally different things. Look at Bill Walsh, he knew how to pick players because he looked at game film and not the o so deceiving combine. That's what every team should start doing. The combine sucks, that's where you get your busts.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Gholston broke Ohio State University's single season sack record. Thats more than a combine motherfucker.