What's wrong with Patrick?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bird_1972, Jun 20, 2006.

1. bird_1972

bird_1972 New Member

2. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

Should've traded for Harrington instead....:lol:

3. jdjets

jdjets New Member

it's going to come down to chad and kellen. F pat and brooks.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The rap on him is that his footwork sucks. He takes a bit longer to setup in the pocket and get comfortable than most QB's and he has limited escapability when the pocket breaks down.

Good arm, gutty and a strong work ethic but the feet have prevented him from becoming a decent QB. It's hard to figure out where his head is because too often he's (ineptly) running for his life when the ball should already be away.

5. lightning

lightning Active Member

and those same people posting there thought they could get a third rounder

6. WesleyWuzTheMan

WesleyWuzTheMan New Member

You must have gone to a terrific high school, bird, because Brooks Bollinger did alright in the NFL last year. After a poor start, and a dismal four-interception game against Carolina, he found his form in the last six games of the season. In those games, he completed 98 passes in 172 attempts for 1,085 yards and a completion rate of 58%. He also ran for 111 yards, 56 of them in the win against Oakland. The knock against Bolly is he didn't throw many TDs (just five in those last six games, versus two interceptions), but he was hobbled by a bad O-line (sacked 19 times) and a sporadic rushing attack. Still, he only coughed up one fumble in those six games, and against Miami, who sacked him six times, Bolly threw for over 300 yards, the first QB to do so in over a year.

It seems unlikely Bolly will get a second chance at QB this year, with Ramsey now in place as Chad's backup, but its wrong to claim he was no good as a Jets QB. The season was bad, but Bollinger did pretty well under the circumstances.

7. bird_1972

bird_1972 New Member

Alright, perhaps I'm lending myself a bit too much to hyperbole here but point being that Patrick was drafted to be a starter. Although things didn't work out for him in Washington, and that is a whole other topic itself, I thought the Jets FO brought him in to be a starter in place of Pennington. The fact that he is looking worse than a rookie and former 3rd rounder, no matter how heroic he looked in relief last year is a major dissapointment.

As for the guy who was mentioning the 3rd rounder trade request, you have to realize at the time we still felt Patrick was a viable starter who just didn't pan out in DC for a variety of reasons. A 3rd rounder for a guy with that potential wasn't a lot to ask for.

8. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Wow, it sucks that Ramsey is struggling. He will get a roster spot, but our starter in september is still cloudy.

#8 RobA, Jun 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2005
  9. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

Let's not get so worked up about a bunch of practices in June. Give Ramsey some time to figure it all out. If he's a true clunker by the end of the 2006 season, then we'll cut him. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

If I remember correctly, we ultimately ended up getting Ramsey for essentially nothing (we gave up a 6th rd. pick for Ramsey, then got one back when we moved down in the second rd. trade with the Skins, then we traded a 6th to Dallas -- I think -- to move up in the second rd. to take Clemens, then we got a 6th back in a subsequent Dallas trade and ultimately used it to pick Coleman). We may have given up positioning, but we didn't give up a 6th round pick if memory serves me right.

If we gave away our #1 for Schaub and he had a bad June camp, that's one thing. But the downside to Ramsey being a bust is nada in my opinion, and the upside is worth the "gamble."

#9 Mickey Shuler 82, Jun 20, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  10. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

we won't even have to cut him... its his contract yera

11. rillo

rillo New Member

AMEN bro Yea....to me i thought brooks did pretty good....we could've easily won more games if Herm would've open the play book alil.....especially the miami game (HUH...damnit herm!!) i think he should stay on the roster....i think the kid can play and has alil toughness in him.....IMHO

12. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

Even if we cut ramesy it was only a 6th rounder no big deal. He wasnt brought in to be a starter he was a insurance policy for chad. If chad can play half way decent the job will be his to loose.

13. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

Bollinger already knows the playbook and the system while Ramsey doesn't. That will make one look better than the other for a while, so I wouldn't put a lot of stock in this report. Ramsey also doesn't know the receivers that well either.

In B-lo, Nall didn't look very good in the early OTAs because Fairchild's system is so different from the West Coast Offense he was used to, but he started looking a lot better in the mandatory minicamp since he was getting more familiar with the system and the receivers.

Training camp is when the real competition begins.

14. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

New Coach, new OC, new system, new playbook.
    All of the QB's are on even ground here.

15. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Aw, heck, I like Brooks.

16. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Many of Bolly's stats last season were comperable with Eli Manning.

17. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Can we puh-lease keep Bolly away from a football and closer to something to which he's more suited - like the milk-swollen teats of a ripe Guernsey.

18. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Only Manning did better.

19. njjet

njjet Member

Books did a decent job last year under the circumstance! Tell me another QB who could have done better. He was working with decimated OL. Brooks is a good QB. Give the kid some credit. He was running for his life half the time. The mere fact that he avoided injury is a miracle. Our other two QBs had major surgery do to the lack of protection. Face it, Brook played behind a make shift line. I think he just might be the starting QB this year if given a chance. :jets:

20. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

bolly only knows the first two paragraphs of the playbook...hermie cut them out and mailed it to him...hes never actually scene the full grown-up version i dont think....plus we got a new O.C and hopefully a new offense so bolly has no leg up on ramsey