Whats up with the 3 afc losses?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Baumeister, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

Smell that? It is the raiders stinking it up in charger land. How the raiders even beat anybody this year is beyond me. san diego is a train wreck and all I heard on the telle after the denver loss was how bad and inconsistant denver had been playing this year. How 3 out of 4 Jets losses this year are against the afc west is also beyond my comprehension! WTF! Behind the nfc west it is the second worst division in football right now. I hope it is because the Jets play down to the level of their competition. Watching the raiders get their asses kicked right now just brought up a bunch of bad memories.:sad:

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

Any team in the West is always a hard team to play when you're from the East. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

WC teams come east and lose. I think no WC team has won on the EC this season. I would imagine the same goes in reverse. The Jets haven't won out west I think since the SD playoff game.

Sunday will be a deathmatch folks. Bet on it...

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

^DEN and SF both won coming east. Thats it though.

I think it comes down to the Jets underestimating the Broncos and not taking the Raiders seriously.

The Charger game was never going to be won.

5. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

I think the Broncos cheated, and the crappy weather also played a factor. We play that game in a dome and I think we win it. Everyone says they love bad weather games, but rain and wind really hurt the better team. A good team is used to executing with precision. Bad teams already play sloppy all the time anyway so they are used to it.

Snow is a bit different, it sometimes seems to instead enhance play.

6. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

I think I'm right here. In our superbowl season we had tough losses to Raiders, (Hiedi game), inexplicable loss to Denver and chargers threw away the game to us late on. Any straw is worth hanging on to.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The bottom line is if you have a good nteam and play well you can win anywhere. We didn't lose on the WC b/c of the travel, the WC teams coming east didn't lose b/c of the travel or time difference. We'll beat SF if we play like we are capable of, we'll play a close game if we play like we did last week or vs. Cincy/Oak/KC.

8. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

No I think the better phrase is whats up with the 3 AFC West losses?

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets passed the ball 81 times and ran it 52 times against the 28th and 29th ranked run defenses in the league. Stupid game plans turn into bad losses. Bad coaches create stupid game plans.

How anybody can look at those two losses and how they occurred and still think Eric Mangini is not a bad coach is beyond me.

10. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

You are correct. If the Jets would have lost to the chargers in 68' that would have been even better. They barley beat the chargers 23-20. It is something good to hold to. It shows that you can't win them all and to keep the faith. The Jets were suposed to get their asses handed to them by baltimore but they played the better game and won SB III.

Bad grammer I know. This is why I should't post when I am upset. Totally forgot to proof read.

11. packerbacker1234

packerbacker1234 New Member

It's warm. Favre has played well recently in warm weather.

The team may be shaky in spots due to the trip: but #4 wills how up. The fact it's the 49ers leads me to believe that will be enough to win.

12. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

Raiders are a different team when McFadden is in. I have a feeling the real reason Kiffin looked better than Cable is he coached more games with McFadden in the lineup. Losing to a McFaddenless Raider team is humiliating, losing to them with McFadden is merely embarrasing.

13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

That was the score of the game in Shea Stadium.

Later in the year the Jets went out to San Diego and won 37-15.

14. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

it is not just him alone.

there is no way a buddy ryan, walt michaels, rex ryan, spagnola,or kiffin would let the likes of cutler, cassell, rivers, or russell sit back there all day with enough time to order in lunch and eat it on almost every pass play.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

sutton will. He's afraid of blitzing. Some allergy or something.

16. Br4d

The Jets threw the ball on 14 of the first 15 plays against the Oakland Raiders. The run? Brad Smith up the middle for 4 yards. Forrest Gump would have had a better clue about how to beat the Raiders that day than Eric Mangini did, and that was definitely on Mangini. There's no way in hell that Brian Schottenheimer could have gotten as retarded a game plan as that through Mangini without Mangini buying into it. However if he did then it's just further evidence that Mangini doesn't know how to coach in the NFL.

Basically you have an opponent that has several very good defensive backs and a horrible run defense and so you decide to pass the ball non-stop until you've convinced them that they have a chance to win on that day. Way to go Man-genious.

The problem with both that game plan and the one against the Broncos is that they seemed to place a premium on catching the opponent off guard by NOT exploiting the weakness that the rest of the league was exploiting. It was like the Jet's coaching staff said: we're going to fool them by doing something really ineffective but surprising. That's not the way you win in the NFL. In the NFL you take a sad sack opponent like the Raiders and you run the damn ball down their throat until they're in a deep hole and can't get out. Against an offense like the Broncos you just want to hold onto the ball and keep the clock moving. Don't let Cutler throw for 300+ yards, limit his opportunities by keeping him off the field. The Broncos run defense has basically folded every time it was seriously tested this year. Running the ball on first down and then ditching the run for the pass on 2nd and long was just playing into Shanahan's hands. It was giving the Broncos all the power, when in fact they had very little of it coming in.

#16 Br4d, Dec 6, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  17. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I agree, we should have pounded both their defences into submission with the run. If we keep the ball for long periods they can't score and their defence gets tired out. Hope we have now learnt this lesson, but only time will tell.

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

What proved your theory correct was TJs two huge runs. Even though the Jets were behind by 10 pts, if they stayed the course and kept running it, they would've had a 4 pt lead into the 4th qtr, probably converting a few of those 4th downs or not even having to be in that situation.

They went right back to finesse football with these losses... its amazing.. the bright side is that they do it against shitty teams, and the good to great teams they play they play real football. There are no shitty teams in the playoffs, so maybe we won't see those Jets come January.

19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Did Eric Mangini cause our turnovers in Oakland? Or give up a 100+ yards to a rookie FB against Denver? You act like if we just showed up and ran your specific gameplan things would have been sugar coated goodness.

20. Br4d

No Eric Mangini watched the Jets pass the ball 60% of the time against teams that the balance should have been no worse than 50/50. Execution didn't really matter when the Jets were attacking two bad defenses strengths. I don't see how anybody can miss that point. You attack teams where they are weak and beat them. You keep hitting the strong points and they'll wind up gunning you down.