What's the difference between DB and CB?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Footballgod214, May 3, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Silly, one begins with a "D" and the other begins with a "C." ;):p Seriously, I consider a "DB" a tweener, who could possibly play either S or CB. I think I have seen some players labeled as a DB however, who were too slow to play CB, and not big enough to play S.

Footballgod214 and NYJFOREVER like this.
  2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

DB is a general term for the entire defensive backfield, I.e, defensive back.

CB is specific to the cornerback position.

I’m assuming off the position listing, the players with DB are going to play either safety or CB, they don’t know yet.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

DB is a broad term. It means Defensive Back. A defensive back refers to any player that could be called a Safety or Cornerback.

CB means Cornerback, and is more specific.

Why call a player a DB on the roster vs Safety or CB? Generally it means that player has the versatility to play nearly any of those positions for a limited number of snaps. It could also mean the team isn’t 100% sure of what their main role will be yet. Nickelbacks are usually CB’s but sometimes a Safety can be the primary Nickelback, which is called a “big nickel” formation.

All Nickel really means is that you’re the 5th DB on the field. For example, if Brian Poole is out there covering the Slot, he is the Nickelback. However, if Ashtyn Davis goes out there and Jamal Adams covers the slot, Davis is still the Nickelback. Many people assume Nickelback means you cover the slot.

Footballgod214, Noam and Brook! like this.
  4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

@Footballgod214 - Just checking. Last time I moved one of your posts to NFL Forum or Draft Forum and you thought I was punishing you. Before I move this to NFL Forum just want to make sure you got your answer and satisfied by the answers. :)

Footballgod214 and Noam like this.
  5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Carter played safety and then some slot. The D is just defensive back.

But Carter is a guy who doesn’t have the great speed but he’s good in quick and initial space. He’s a guy who can tackle pretty well but I feel he’s a bit too lean to play in the box, and doesn’t have the foot speed to be a good nickel guy. We will see though.

6. Joe D MVP

Joe D MVP Active Member

They don’t know if he’s gonna be a S or CB at the next level basically.

7. Can play either spot. When you play alot of zone like Williams does..players don't always need a specific label to drop into zones in specific areas of the field depending on situation/match-up

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Now that I know we don't have either on the roster....move it over!!!!

Brook! likes this.
  9. Footballgod214

10. Footballgod214

Thanks guys for your answers....so DB Defensive Back is a more generic term that can apply to many positions, including CB, safety, nickelback, etc, while CB Corner Back is strictly covering WRs on the outsides. Thanks!

11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

And dont forget Football is a Team sport as opposed to swimming and diving, track, golf, archery and target shooting:p