What's really happening with CMART?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hendersg, Aug 4, 2006.

1. hendersg

hendersg New Member

I read in one paper today that there could be three scenarios about Martin's status. They went something like this, but please don't hold me verbatim:
    1) he's more seriously injured than we've been led to believe, and quite possibly considering retirement.
    2) Mangini has deliberately held him out of practice so far, as not to wear him down with the regiment that is obviously more drastic and grueling than Herm's
    3) he just needs more time to rehab, and is not quite ready.

In a article earlier this week, Martin was very cryptic about the reasoning behind him not participating so far, and I got a sense that Curtis didn't agree with this, and if it was up to him, he'd be out there. Based on that, the translation is Mangini is deliberatly holding him out. Of course he's a hall of famer with tremendous pride, and we wouldn't expect him to say anything otherwise.

If I remember correctly, the procedure he had in December was relatively minor, and you would think he should have been ready to go full force by now. Based on that being said, I wouldn't think number 3 could be the reason.

True, it was hot and steamy this week, but Martin is a 10+ veteran, and I think it would be safe to say, he's practiced in this weather in the past, so I'm not quite sure I'd buy number 2 either.

As far as the first scenario is concerned, why would he take himself up to this point, if he knew this injury was career ending? He's certainly had ample time to realize if he can continue playing. Putting a player on the PUP is no joke. True, you can come off anytime, but why the PUP? Its very curious. Any thoughts or insight to this?

2. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

His cryptic answer was due to Mangini's policy on talking to the media. I think he's just being kept off the practice field to keep him fresh, and all the speculation about his retiring is just made up news and speculation. He'll be the starter week 1.

Anyone betting against Martin will be sorry they did.

3. hendersg

hendersg New Member

You got that right......Who would be a poor man, a beggarman, a thief :)

4. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

I totally agree with Tony....Mangini is just keeping him fresh..there's no reason to worry...(yet)

#4 Hot Rod, Aug 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2005
  5. parafly

parafly New Member

I would say that it is most likely between option 1 and 3.

I really don't see Mangini holding Curtis out of practice and giving him special treatment. He knows that Curtis is up there in age and his future contributions to this team are as much of a question mark as Chad's arm. It would be hypocritical of Mangini to say that every position is an open competition and then give Martin a free pass to become automatic starter. Also, Curtis has publicly stated in past seasons that the more reps he gets during TC and preseason, the more prepared he feels going into the season.

I hope that Curtis is simply not 100% and this whole thing can be attributed to caution. However, it is a definite possibility that the injuries may be more severe than originally thought and retirement may be on the horizon. If that is the case, my hatred of Herm would go up even further. Curtis is a legend on this team, and it would be quite disappointing for his career to end because a stubborn coach ran him into the ground during a lost season.

6. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Based on the way what Mangini has said and how he has conducted training camp, I can't see it being scenario #2. I'm hoping its scenario #3, but as the days go by I fear more and more that it's #1.

7. hendersg

hendersg New Member

Parafly, you echo my sentiments about Herm (but I promised not to go there anymore) because I feel he wrecked Chad's career (lets hope not) by playing him in against SD in the 2004 playoffs, and rushing him back last year.

I hope Curtis just needs more time, and we see him soon. We've witnessed, with no question whatsover, one of the greatest RB's to ever run for daylight, and it would be sad if we've seen the last of him.

8. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

I think the safe guess is that its a combination of A, Martin is not back to one hundred percent, and B, theyre taking advantage of the opportunity to see what the other backs have to offer. Its odd to think that Martin wouldnt be healthy because he went a long time last season playing with the injury... so its hard to believe that after surgery and half a year of rehab he wouldnt be able to play. Seems odd, but as everybody loves to point out, hes getting up there in age, a 32 year old doesnt heal as fast as a player in his mid twenties.

That said, I think its telling that other halfbacks have said that if there was a game tomorrow, that Martin would play in it. Its one thing to say that every position is open for competition, but its something entirely different to suggest that a ten year vet whos a shoe-in for the hall of fame has to be on the field every day of camp if he wants to play in the fall. Hes not one hundred percent, hes taken a beating in his career, and frankly at this point in his career the benefit of training camp is limited. Guys like Houston and Washington are currently learning how to play in the NFL. All Curt would be doing out there is adding more wear and tear to his legs.

The fact that retirement has actually entered the conversation here is alarming, but in the end, if i were putting money on this, id bet on Martin coming off the pup list after preseason games have already started, possibly as late as after the second game.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's a mix of 2 and 3.

After Curtis's slow training camps of rec ent years under Herm it would have extreme value to Mangini for Curtis to be out front and working through the brutal conditions as an example to his lesser teammates. The fact that he's not out front suggests to me that he's really having some physical issues.

One hallmark of Belichik's camps and to a lesser extent Parcell's camps is that there are very few truly safe players. Under other circumstances I would not be shocked if Martin was carefully shown the door. However there are no acceptable alternatives in camp right now. If the Jets make a trade for a veteran back this could become an overnight issue for us.

10. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

he's done. Retired. Kaput.

11. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

I think hes just resting from his injury but recovering slowly, he proably wont be back at full form but will still start.

12. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

My guy tells me it's injury.

I just remember Curtis saying under the media friendly Herm regime that he doesn't like to miss TC. He was saying that he blamed his slow start the previous season to not getting enough work in the preseason and I think it was a story last year, no?

Has he changed his opinion after last years injury? Only time will tell.

#12 Imagesrdecieving, Aug 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2005
  13. luvdemjets1998

luvdemjets1998 New Member

same here.

14. Z-Dog

Z-Dog New Member

I can't imagine Martin voluntarily missing practice. That, and he's not even doing conditioning work outside. I think he's really hurt and the team is looking around for more help at the position.