Whats About DeWayne Robertson?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JeTerps, Mar 12, 2006.

1. JeTerps

JeTerps Active Member

The speculation that we will be running a 3-4 defesense is certainly starting to heat up.

Trading Abraham and bringing in Kim Von Oelhoffen suggests that we will see a lot less 4-3 defense this year.

Kimo is a 3-4 end and Pope (DT from Denver) looks like a 3-4 end as well.

Seeing as the only true NT we've heard the jets pursuing is the aged Ted Washington, where does that leave DeWayne? Is it possible Tangini will consider DeWayne as the NT? Can he play 3-4 end? Will DeWayne only be on the field when we switch to a 4 down lineman alignment?

IMO we pay him too much and he has too much potential to be on the bench for most of our defensive snaps.

My question is, how can we best utilize #63 moving forward?

2. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

I love the 3-4 defense myself, but not here! This defense is built for the 4-3, and thats the way we should keep it.
    Resign John Ab, and bring in a big NT and our defense is set.

3. Martin is the man

D Rob gets double teamed every play in a 4-3 so there is no question if he can handle it, he's done it up to this point and still played well. He has good speed so he will force people to double team him because i don't feel a center can block him one on one. He's strong enough to push guys back. He has great size to play the 3-4 nose, 6'1 317, Casey Hampton is 6'1 325. Let D Rob play the nose. I think he can handle it and let Pouha give him a break every once in a while.

4. JeTerps

JeTerps Active Member

I tend to agree with you because of 2 players:
    1- I think Vilma can dominate in a 4-3 so long as he has 2 tackles to eat up blocks
    2- Robertson has a ton of potential as a 4-3 DT, but he needs another 300+ pound tackle next to him

Abraham is gone, so forget about him. Let's just hope we can get decent compensation for him

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

DRob needs to be traded before April, he has no future in a 3-4 base, IMO.

6. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

BINGO!

Why did every other big contract guy on the team get restructured, but not Robertson? If they can't trade him, look for him to get traded or released next year. He, like Abraham, have no place to play in a 3-4.

7. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

No way we trade him he will play the end in the 3-4 or maybe even the nose but most likely DE.

8. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

So why are we switching to the 3-4? If our young up and coming defensive players dont even fit the system why are we doing it?? WHY?!?!

9. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

DRob always struck me as a Casey Hampton clone - a human fire hydrant - and he's done pretty well at the nose.

10. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I agree he needs to be traded or restructured. Someone told me last week on this site that he HAS already been restructured, so maybe they're just waiting to announce that. I say trade him now while he has some value. It was another bonehead move by Bradway that we have to deal with--His salary is way too high for his production. If he won't agree to a major restructure, then trade or release him after July 1. JUST BECAUSE Boobway paid a fortune for this guy doesn't mean we have to keep playing him ala Bryan Thomas trying to convince ourselves that it wasn't an unwise draft pick. That is one thing that has impressed me about the front office--they have NOT handed Martin and Pennington the starting jobs like Herm/Bradway did JUST BECAUSE of who they are--it appears to me they will play the best players regardless of history/sentiment.

11. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Robertson is the only one who doesn't really fit the system. We need a huge NT to take up space, and that will allow Vilma to flourish, similar to Ray Lewis in his prime. Ellis is a true 3-4 end, Hobson could be a perfect 3-4 ILB, and I definitely could envision Barton being a highly productive 3-4 OLB. A big NT, and another end like von Oelhoffen is all that is keeping the team from being able to run a very strong 3-4 defense.

12. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

well stated

13. Ive stated over and over again that we will not be playing a strict 3-4 scheme. We will play a scheme that promotes mismatches and confusing looks. That means we will see 3-4, 4-3, 4-4,5-2,etc. It's all about mismatches and confussion. 4 years ago Bellichick was said to covet D rob in the draft, and even considered moving up for him. There was a reason for that.

D rob is the definition of a player that creates mismatches due to his compact size, speed and power. Trust me, Mangini is drooling over the things he can do w/ D rob within his scheme. The rumors of Van Delhoffen, Washington, etc, are b/c Mangini wants to have a variety of different skills so that he can employ different looks and defensive concepts.

14. 10nyjets87

10nyjets87 New Member

Dewayne robertson needs to be in the weight room squating and benching every day. He can be a good NT if he can gain 10-15 pounds of muscle. he would be 6-1 (lets say he gains 12 pounds) 329. I would be confident with him eating up blockers.

15. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

D'Wayne will be a better player under the new system. He will be lined over center, Guard and Tackle.

16. JeTerps

JeTerps Active Member

Great point, any Belichik disciple will utilize multiple looks. So, it's unwise to say "you'll see only 3 or 4 down line men for the jets this year". However, when we do have 3 lineman and 4 LBs on the field what will it look like? Right now, by best guess is:

NT - Robertson
    DE- Ellis
    DE- FA (Pope or Kimo)

ILB - Vilma & Hobson
    OLBs - Barton & Bryan Thomas

Of course this all could change with FA and the draft. But with our current personnel (and 1 FA signee, which seems like it is bound to happen) it is my best guess.

But the most interesting thing about my projection is Thomas. I don't think this undersized 4-3 DE has any place on a 3-4 line, however has he ever stood up in the NFL? Does Thomas has any place on the field on a 3-4 defense? If so, OLB is my only guess. Thoughts?

17. BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY Well-Known Member

I doubt we will be strictly a 3-4 team. I also doubt we will strictly be a 4-3 team. Mangini will like to throw out different looks and try to confuse the coach on the other side. Its more about mismatches and finding the weakness in the offense. Some games we will see more 3-4 other games we will see more of a 4-3. People are saing we arent good for a 3-4 well, sign Oelhoffen, trade Abraham and pick up a hybrid lb/de with that pick and then sign another linebacker then we are good for the 3-4.

Dewayne Robertson is similar to Casey Hampton, hes only around 8 pounds lighter and he can easily gain that in the off-season. He can take on double teams and thats what we want him to do. He also has the speed to create a pass rush and we can have Pouha be a fill in player, a few snaps every game. D-Rob can do well in the 3-4.

Vilma I think will also do well, as long as the double team is taken up by D-rob. The 3-4 helps fast linebackers and that is what Vilma is, I think Vilma can flourish in the 3-4 and be very productive. We arent far from having a 3-4 defense and if it can be installed succesfully then we can have a very good defense next year.

18. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

Great post well agreed.

19. 10nyjets87

10nyjets87 New Member

didnt they do a 3-4 in the probowl??? if so vilma had 6 tackles in limited action. I am almost sure they used a 3-4

20. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I agree, Mangini will use all sorts of defensive schemes, but I have a hunch, that DRob isn't in the long term plans.

1. He has the degenerative arthritis condition, and I believe it was this condition that caused him to miss games last year. Knee tendonitis is often a symptom of this affliction.

2. At least as far as public knowledge goes, he has the only cap unfriendly deal that hasn't been restructured.

3. He showed last year, he can't deal with double teams, he's a true 3T guy. He does have speed off the snap, and if that gets taken away, he isn't very effective. He has to penetrate to be effective, and lacks outside speed to play DE in a 3-4. Legree looked better than DRob did last year as a 3T.

With the contract he has, this year he is pretty much untradable. I expect him to be here for 2006, and then get reevaluated. They set him up so that he could be cut next year, by NOT restructuring his contract. I expect to see him only play about half the snaps this year, in a rotation. I still won't get on Bradway for that pick.... the year he was drafted he was as sure a thing as Ferguson is this year.