What to do with Darron Lee after Mosley signing.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Quinnenthebeast, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Something that has hit me over the last week has been why are shipping Lee away when he’s our best cover linebacker and we’re only paying him $1.8 million this year.

I get it, he hasn’t lived up to the first round expectations (though he was a late first in a weak draft class) and he got his suspension. Then why does this organization seem to love Leonard Williams (hasn’t live up to expectations) and Herndon (probably getting a suspension)?

IMO it almost seems to make more sense trying to trade Avery Williamson. With him we’d be trading high with 2 years left on a reasonable deal and a great year last year as opposed to trading low on Lee. Mosley and Williamson even play the same position in a 3-4 respectively. Thoughts?

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

First off, the narrative that we're shipping Lee away is largely a media creation. Mac may have Lee on the trading block, but as of now everyone's just speculating. As for Williams and Herndon, they're both better players than Lee and trading them would leave gaping holes.

3. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Yeah my point is that Mosley and Williamson are essentially the same type of player. If I am the Pats or any other team playing us, i would just spread my offense out and force Mosley or Williamson (who is poor at coverage) to create a mismatch against my wide receivers. Lee better compliments Mosley than does Williamson. Could we keep all 3? Sure, but we really need draft capital at the moment especially if we don’t trade down.

Noam and GasedAndConfused like this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Comes down to if you trust Lee. If you do then trading Williamson makes sense. Otherwise no.

5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Williamson is twice the player that Lee is..
    He's not the guy you look to move, especially if Lee is the alternative.

I'm looking forward to seeing Mosley and Williamson on the field together, and I'd expect they'd both play an overwhelming majority of defensive snaps.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Mosley is really good at getting people in the right situations and makes plays, but Lee was one of the better cover linebackers in the entire league. Passing downs, Lee might be a better option then Williamson.

7. 101GangGreen101

Looks like Lee changed up his twitter account. No more Jet related stuff on there.

Mac better get a good return on this, otherwise you definitely have to question his motives. He's super cheap this year and can be a help.

8. BacktoQueens

I don't believe Lee was one of the better cover LB's in the league.
    In fact, I believe Williamson is better than him on passing situations, without being a run liability.

I just can't see Williamson or Mosley coming off the field on 3rds...especially not for Lee.

9. BacktoQueens

You gotta dump him while there is still some return value to be had.
    He's 100% gone after this season. They did not pick up the 5th year option.

I'd rather a 4th/5th round pick than a backup ILB for 1 season.

10. 101GangGreen101

I believe it and we all saw it. He played very well in coverage last year, he's gotten better each year. Why dump him now? No, he isn't physical, but he can contribute in terms of depth and cover ability. Williamson is not better in coverage. There are packages that can be made for Lee.

4th and 5th with Mac calling the shots? I'll take my chances with Lee.

11. BacktoQueens

I guess we just aren't seeing the same guy.
    I see a guy who struggles in just about every aspect of the game, and is a flat out liability on every rushing play.
    Then throw in a suspension for good measure.

There's just no comparison to Williamson, who is a stud imo.
    I'd jump for joy if we managed to pull a 4th for Lee, although I agree about Mac's shaky mid round past.
    But still you gotta realize he's gone after the year. I'd take my chances on that 4th.

12. 101GangGreen101

He didn't struggle in pass coverage. He's not good in the run game in terms of taking on blockers, that we can agree on.

Yeah he's gone after next year, however I will cross that bridge when I get there. If I can get a 3rd for Lee, then I'll sign up for that.

13. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

So we’re gonna call Lee one of the best cover LBs in the game because he picked off a couple passes in the season opener where he blabber mouthed after the game that he knew all the Lions’ signals? Got it

Selective memories. Lee improved significantly in coverage this year but was still taken advantage of on occasion. Was he decent in coverage? Maybe. Was he one of the best cover LBs in the game? Absolutely not...

NYJetsO12 and BacktoQueens like this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

Interesting, didn't know I used interceptions as a reason why Lee was one of the best cover LBs last year.

But hey, I guess he didn't help close out the Colts either, that damn selective memory. Top 5 in the league at covering for that position IMO. Name 5 better ones.

15. 101GangGreen101

Here is what I use PFF for, my eyes showed me, Lee was one of the better cover linebackers in the league last year. Didn't give up many big plays in the pass game.

Did a google check ...he had an 84.4 coverage grade last year. He was graded the #4 coverage LB in the league by PFF. Schobert from the Browns had a higher grade.

16. Lets not forget Luvu & Hewitt are decent backups too. Luvu has playmaking upside.

Lee has displayed poor maturity at certain times..is he gonna be happy as back up situational player? Im not so sure.He may become a distraction.

17. 101GangGreen101

Lee has displayed immaturity. I think he can still grow as a player. If the team feels he's a distraction then ship him out, but don't ship him out just because they got Mosley. Maybe Mosley can help Lee. You never know.

Lee flashed more in coverage compared to Hewitt and Luvu.

Noam likes this.
  18. I think Lee has his strengths. And id be accepting of him returning in a certain role.But i just get the sense the team is done w his behavior.

Neither Mosley nor Williamson are plus coverage backers but i dont think either are liabiities.Both can get depth & tackle in space.

I agree Lee is better in coverage than Luvu & Hewitt.But Luvu is a better blitzer & much more instinctive..my point being it’s not as if Lee is the primary “3rd mike” in all situations.

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Who said he was one of the best cover LBs in the game? Several have said that he's the best cover LB on the TEAM, but I've seen no one claim that he was one of the best cover LBs in the game/league.

20. BacktoQueens

That sounds an awful lot like using PFF only when you agree with it ;)

There is no way in hell Lee was top 5 in the league at coverage.
    The picks ramped up his ranking, as big plays will do, but he was not consistent, and doesn't tackle well.
    We looked better at the position during Lee's suspension imo.

If he weren't a first round pick, there would not be a second thought of flat out cutting him imo. Reminds me a lot of posters defending Calvin Pryor right up till the end.

SOJAZ likes this.