What is your grade on this year's draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ViLmAfAn5128, Apr 30, 2006.

1. ViLmAfAn5128

ViLmAfAn5128 Banned

D-

I think we built a good O-line, but we drafted no playmakers, we passed on Rod wright and Jesse Mahelona, and Chad jackson, and Lendale White, and Matt Leinart,sinorice moss, and didnt trade up to #27 to take de'angelo which would be easy.

I think they built an O-line, but didnt realize they dont have the talent behind it.

2. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

B- would be my grade. A couple picks raise eyebrow's, but thats why these guys get paid, and I reside on a message board.

Ellis

3. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Yeah, i was way too negative on the first day, post-leinart depression I guess, but overall a solid job. There were a lot of picks in there that really don't look too promising, but some real good football players as well. Great foundation on the OL as well. I'd go B range, probably closer to B- because value wasn't really taken advantage of past the first two rounds, but again, solid overall.

4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

B+

Kellen Clemens, Brick, Gold, and Washington all have me excited.

5. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

why is everyone obsessed with playmakers???? I friggin' hate the Patriots but what "playmakers" do they have???

6. ChuckkieB

ChuckkieB Member

Rome wasn't built in a day. Let's see the guys they drafted play before we start claiming that the FO didn't know what they were doing. I for one think that they did a pretty good job. B+

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

ill say B

and if clemens becomes a stud, in a few years we will call this the best draft in jets history because we know the 1st picks are guaranteed players

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I'll give a big fat INC Nothing more useless than grading a draft the day its over..

9. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

either a B or a B+

10. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

I say B+, love the top picks the Brad Smith and Washington pick. Other than that, I thought they went with Character over guys with a lot more talent.

11. Hazardous Waters

I'm gonna give this draft overall a B now. Yesterday I said C+, but I think Day 2 improved it a little. I like the Brad Smith and Washington picks today as well as the D'Brick, Mangold, and Clemens from Day 1, but I'm not sold on the TE pick and the Eric Smith pick.

12. KY_Jetsfan

KY_Jetsfan New Member

Lendale?? LOL, he is a pothead, Mangini wouldn't have drafted him in the 7th round if he was there-

Sources: White failed drug test
    Revelation likely to hurt running back's status for NFL draft
    BY SCOTT WOLF, Staff Writer

Former USC tailback LenDale White tested positive during an NFL drug test, according to multiple sources, which could affect his stock for today's pro draft.
    White spoke briefly to a reporter Friday but sounded unconcerned about the situation.

"(The NFL) ain't worried about it," he said. "The issue's been addressed."

Word of the drug test spread through NFL circles Friday and several sources said the test took place at the Indianapolis predraft combine in late February.

"If it's out, it's got to be a combine test," said a source with knowledge of NFL drug testing. "Some teams also give their own tests but those are at individual workouts and no one releases those."

The news could not come at a worse time for White, who has not impressed NFL teams since announcing in January he would turn pro.

"If this is true, this late before the draft, that will sink him," said an agent who asked not to be identified.

White's pro day workout at USC was a disaster. He weighed 244 pounds, six more than at the combine, and bench pressed 225 pounds just 15 times. White then failed to perform any other workouts because of a hamstring injury.

Am MRI later determined that White suffered a moderate tear in his hamstring that will sideline him until mid-May and prevented him from running or working
    out individually for NFL teams.

"This validates that the reason I didn't run wasn't because I didn't want to, wasn't because I was lazy, but because I was injured," White told the Denver Post. "I did everything I possibly could to get ready for our pro day, but I knew something wasn't right with my leg. Now I've got a doctor with 100 percent expertise on hamstrings saying I have a tear. To me, it proves the attacks against me were unjust."

White was originally projected to be a possible top-10 pick and envisioned going in the top five with USC teammate Reggie Bush, much like Auburn tailbacks Ronnie Brown and Carnell "Cadillac" Williams last year.

But recent mock drafts show him sliding to a late first-round or even second-round selection, which seemed unlikely after he rushed for 124 yards and scored three touchdowns in the Rose Bowl in January.

Billy Witz contributed.

scott.wolf@dailynews.com

13. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

What defines a playmaker? I think it means a popular offensive player at a skill position so you can go out now and buy his jersey. Don't you realize that you have it backwards? Without an offensive line, an offense cannot have any playmakers. How did Peyton Manning look against the Steelers when he was running for his life all game long? Didn't see him make too many plays that day. How did Curtis Martin, 2004's leading rusher, look in 2005 behind that swiss cheese line of the Jets? He didn't lose that much in a year. Show some football acumen, please. You can draft a RB anytime and plug him in immediately. But with an OL, almost any NFL caliber RB can look good. See Denver Broncos or Pittsburg Steelers. Are Anderson or Gary that good. Did anyone know who Parker was before this year? Did Bettis have that much more in the tank than Martin last year?

14. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

ditto. Loved the first two rounds - it's like they took the rest of the weekend off.

15. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I give them a C.

The first three and last picks were all pretty good picks. The others were somewhere between curious and WTF?!?!

Even the Clemmens pick was a bit off. We traded down, then traded back up to get him. The Tangini wanted him though, so it's fine I guess.

We addressed the line, which we have all been clamoring for now for ages.

Then WR and RB picks were okay. Hopefully that Smith kid will adjust to WR.

The Schlereth (sp?) pick did not impress me at all.

The TE pick flat out pissed me off. I don't care if he is going to be an H-back. We had four TEs on the roster already. Dearth and Baker are going nowhere. Chances are Jolley is sticking around, and we just drafted Dressen (sp?) last year.

I can't believe we grabbed yet another safety as well.

With all the manuvering we did, I figured we had good plans in place. Instead, it appeared more like we "played it as we went along."

We filled some needs, we ignored others. All in all, we had an average draft in a good year. If this were a more shallow talent pool year, I would give us an easy B. Given all the talent we let pass by, we basically "survived" the first Tangini draft.