What is a prevent defense?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetfanmack, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

A prevent defense IS what we did on the last drive, consistent rushes of 3 or less, with a lot of guys very deep in coverage to prevent a deep pass, letting underneath passes go pretty much unimpeded.

A prevent defense is NOT what we did for most of the 2nd half when they moved down the field and scored. We were sending guys. Maybe not all-out blitzes, but this isn't Madden, you don't really just send 8 guys in the middle of the football field.

We were sending guys. They didn't get there that much. It happens to most quarterbacks, look how much time Favre had for much of the game to complete his short passes.

So stop saying we were playing a prevent defense, or that we totally backed off. We didn't. They made some plays. We blew some coverages, and our pass rush flushed him out of the pocket more than actually bringing him down. He made plays. He sucks at throwing the deep ball, but other than that, he was pretty damn good.

#1 Jetfanmack, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  2. uberchink

uberchink New Member

We weren't playing that much prevent. Actually, we played no prevent until the Patriots final drive, and it took all but 1 second off the clock. They did end up scoring but we weren't doing prevent on that play.

3. uberchink

uberchink New Member

The thing that cost us on that last play was that Ty Law was 1 on 1 against Randy Moss. That's a hard enough matchup for Revis, who's having a pro bowl year, and much harder for someone who hasn't even played football in a year.

4. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

We had Law back off though against Moss, which was stupid and not what we did for most of the rest of the game, in fact that's the only play I remember playing off Moss.

5. uberchink

uberchink New Member

Yeah but that's not prevent. That's just playing off. Which is completely retarded, but still not prevent.

6. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I'd consider Ty Law being matched against Moss as worse than anything the prevent D would lead to. Revis on Moss in prevent D = game-saving INT.

7. JetsLookingforDWare

Yea....I'm wondering where all the prevent shit was...Cassell spent most of the other either escaping our pass rush or stepping up cause the OL had us blocked well for that play.

The prevent D seems to be this weeks "Thing to Complain About in Jet Land."

8. savinoRB2

savinoRB2 New Member

LAW HAD PERFECT COVERAGE ON THE TOUCHDOWN!!

sorry Randy Moss is 5 inches taller than Law and extended his arms out of bounce to catch it....

hats off to Cassel for the throw.....

Law did great for gettin out of free agency two days ago

9. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Yeah, we had him double covered all day, but in the final seconds with the game on the line and Moss headed for the endzone, we played 1-on-1. Bad call.

Oh yeah and prevent defense is lame, even if it isn't to blame for that score.

I agree on all counts

10. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

He had a perfect death grip on Moss' jersey too. He shouldn't have been on Moss in the first place.

11. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

Not saying it was, but I think the people complaining about prevent were complaining about it for the final drive. Also, generally on third downs, we play coverage/read and react rather than bringing pressure. The proper criticism would be to complain about it in those terms, but that's more verbose, and also frankly I suppose most casual fans aren't going to know the difference anyway or just don't care.

You mentioned in one of your posts that the prevent "worked" because they scored with 1 second remaining. I don't see how that means it worked, to me that looks like it failed miserably. Cassel can't even throw past 20 yards, so why give him all the underneath stuff? He WANTS that. 1 minute is just way too much time to give someone free shots like that, they'll always get all the way down the field. It's not just prevent, it's the way we specifically play prevent, we just don't try to stop anything at all. Everyone goes down the field way too quickly against us. Maybe if the opponent has like 30 seconds remaining it'd work, but even then I'd be sweating against our version of the prevent.

12. uberchink

uberchink New Member

Still, if he was double covered I don't think he even gets the ball thrown his way. Law would've pressed him at the line and screwed him up from the get go.

13. JetsLookingforDWare

Law on Moss worked alot today...tonight...last night...w/e. Help was needed, but Law did fine early.

14. uberchink

uberchink New Member

If Moss dropped that I wouldn't have been surprised if PI or at least defensive holding was called. Law was definitely holding him.

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

16. savinoRB2

savinoRB2 New Member

hell we won.....im glad we won in that fashion....

we may have led up but it shows we dont quit....

the same ol' jets would lose that game

we had the balls to keep fightin when the chips were down.....

each week we are gonna get better....maybe we'll make it five in row after tennessee

17. CleanFernandez

CleanFernandez New Member

On the last play Law was playin him well, it was just an amazing throw and amazing catch which he might have been out, but all the counts is the W

18. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Law and Moss were both grabbing each other.

19. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

He didn't need double covering, what he needed was to be lifted out of his boots at LOS. Rhodes did actually come over to assist, but the throw was made only where the WR could make the catch.
    Lets not take away anything from Cassell > Moss. THEY got the job done, and very nearly won it. But for once it was us that get the cream, thankyou Feeley :beer:

20. GreatSwamp

GreatSwamp Member

colinsworth: " All the prevent defense does is PREVENT you from winning the game"