What if we make the switch Tebow, and makes the offense worse?

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by Diddy, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

I mean, the Eagles replaced their DC and their defense got worse. Tebow can be worse, then what, Greg Mcelroy? Greg could be even worse than Tebow or Sanchez.

2. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Could they charge the Jets with two losses on a single Sunday?

3. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

Well, then the season is toast (if not already) and it won't matter who they put in.

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Then instead of starting the 33rd ranked QB we will be starting the 34th ranked QB. Its still worth a try. When your QB is ranked 33rd in a 32 team league does it really make a difference?

5. JFjets

JFjets New Member

The offense yesterday scored ZERO points. How could it get worse?

6. BJXX

BJXX New Member

This is the point I've tried to make. We've scored -0- points twice, granted it was against San Fran and Seattle, but we have scored 10 or less points in 4 out of 9 games. The lowest scoring team is Jacksonville at at 14 ppg.

If not for the 48 against Buffalo (14 of which were by KO return and a pick 6), and Buffalo being the worse defense in the league, our average would be around 16 points per game, about 2 points above Jacksonville.

Two.

7. NFL

NFL Active Member

Anyone that thinks the offense will liven up is seriously not on planet earth. Tebow had to rely on his defense last year until there was 5 minutes left on the clock to actually put points on the clock himself.

8. TTTTebowAndTheJets

Or until the OC went into a spread offense and actually let him throw.....

9. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

Considering that with a much better supporting cast last year Tebow led his team to 18.5 PPG (including defensive and special teams scores) Yes it could get worse.

10. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Heh. Where all the Tebow fans wanting to take this guys head off because he's explaining how points were scored? It's funny, when I tried to explain this about the Denver offense last year, I was told it was excuses and trying to take away credit from Tebow. When you do it, crickets.

And you trust Rex or Sparano to do this or even instill plays to do this successfully. It's funny. Sanchez has shown the most talent we run the hurry up, shotgun, let him throw. How often do we run the hurry up or no huddle? Rarely to never.

11. TTTTebowAndTheJets

Not in the least. I actually dread Tebow starting for this team. I want to see him play and prove his doubters wrong, but I doubt he'd be any better than Sanchez given the deficiencies EVERYWHERE else on this team (including the coaches). But if he doesn't get a chance soon, I'm worried he won't ever get a chance and will be out of the league before long. I don't think Tebow is a great QB but I want to see if he can improve (he's only had 16 starts) and I would hate to never get to see him play as a starter on Sundays again.... If nothing else it sure is fun to watch

12. General Fan

General Fan New Member

It can't get worse than the offense never scoring like last week

That being said, Tebow will not start until the Jets are eliminated from the playoffs. His salary and the Jets 2013 cap dictates it. The guys at nyjetscap.com explain it best but I'll paraphrase.....If Tebow plays a certain percentage of the Jet's total plays, his 2013 salary jumps $5 million dollars to $7.5 million (based on current usage, starting the final 7 games or 6 and a playoff game would get there). The $5 million is not that big a deal in and of itself but the Jets are in a tricky place next year because of contracts signed before Tebow arrived (like the Sanchez extension - which would still count against the cap even if Sanchez is released). The broncos never worried about Tebow's contract escalator's because they had a ton of cap space going forward...which they later used to sign Manning with Tebow's contract still on the books.

The way it is right now the Jets will already be in a tight spot with only $11 million of cap space to fill about 17 roster spots. If Tebow hits that performance mark, the cap space drops to $6 million to fill the same number of spots. That is almost an impossible task to accomplish if you intend on drafting in the first round or franchise tagging any player on the team. The Jets would have to fill almost every spot with minimum salary scrubs.

As we all know, the Jets didn't exactly read the fine print in Tebow's contract. You have to put yourselves in Tannebaum shoe's. He has to be telling Rex that there is NO WAY Tebow can hit that escalator, no matter how bad Sanchez is playing. That, and the fact that you can't start McElroy without the media losing their minds about Tebow puts Rex in an awful spot. Sanchez deserves to be benched, even if symbolically for a game and Rex must know that. Rex must have assurances that he will be back next year no matter what....there is no "fatal" attraction to Sachcez

Good news for Tebowmaniacs is that the Jets clearly intend to have him on the team next year and will not face such a cap crunch in 2014 regardless of what becomes of Sanchez. I predict Tebow goes into an open competition next year with whoever is on the roster. I'm not so sure about Sanchez being on the team though if he doesn't turn it around.

#12 General Fan, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  13. TTTTebowAndTheJets

If true this makes a ton of sense.... I can't think of a logical reason why they don't play Tebow more or outright bench Sanchez... But this seems like a viable reason. Hope it's this vs Tebow just sucking in practice or Rex being a stubborn moron. Do you have a link for further info?

14. TTTTebowAndTheJets

Oh...and welcome to the thunderdome :)

15. BJXX

BJXX New Member

I have no idea if this is true, but if I were a conspiracy theorist, this would explain alot. The decisions are obviously not about winning football games. Unfortunately, I'm beginning to believe that Rex just doesn't have the guts to make the decision that needs to be made. He's too much a "players coach" instead of a winning coach.

16. NFL

NFL Active Member

I guess you can put it that way. Should of done it in the playoffs against the Pats. Maybe he would of completed more passes than Brady threw TDs.

17. General Fan

General Fan New Member

Thanks for the welcome. Long time reader but finally decided to step into the fray.

I don't have a post count high enough to post links but it was an article at nyjetscap.com. The article is titled "Is 2013 cap driving 2012 decisions".

If the authors numbers are correct, I think it adds a lot of clarity to the situation. Also, Tebow is the only Jet player with such a large escalator.

18. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

'Could'. That's the word that a lot of Sanchez apologists use. As in 'Tebow could potentially do a lot worse than Sanchez'. That's a problem within the organization.

Until someone grows a brain and realize the chances of doing worse than Sanchez are abysmally low, we're going to be arguing semantics long after we are eliminated.

That being said, someone mentioned how many points the Broncos scored at around 18 points a game. I would kill to score that much, at least that means we're somewhat competitive instead of struggling to reach 7 points.

19. jets4lyfah

jets4lyfah Banned

it will get worse if we put Tebow in. Sanchez gives the team best opportunity to win, team believes in sanchez

20. Bannon

Bannon New Member

Without delving into conspiracy theories, you can get to the same result with the idea that midseason QB replacements almost never go well. It's hard for an offense. Even if they want to switch, the offseason is a better time to do it.