What if these four are gone by 18?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetFighter, May 1, 2014.

1. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

I've continued to hear/read that the following are on our short list:

CBs: Denard, Gilbert
    WRs: Cooks, Beckham

What if, and it's possible, all 4 are gone by 18. Who do we pick? I hope we don't reach for Lee. I'd rather go DB or TE or OLB at that point

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I doubt the Jets have to reach for a player if all four of those players are chosen before pick #18, in all reality a very good player will fall to them, although it won't be at a popular position.

3. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Well obviously it depends on who is available. If people who were projected to go at or after the 18th pick are of the board that means by default that someone will have dropped to our spot that should have been picked ahead of us. We'd probably just pick that person unless they are a DT and maybe a QB depending on which one it is (i.e. not sure we pick Johnny Football but maybe Teddy Bridgewater if he somehow falls to us).

Some guys are virtually a lock to go by a certain point but if those four and Ebron are gone I think odds are that one of Clinton-Dix, Lewan and maybe even Barr could fall to us. I mean someone has to, right?

4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Just what I was thinking, for everyone that jumps up the board one drops down.

5. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Taylor Lewan/ Zack Martin. I'm managing to convince myself that one of these two would be our pick in any case, although the pre-draft visits don't appear to allude to it.

jilozzo likes this.
  6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Wow at Lee now considered a reach at 18.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

since nobody has a clue

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 3h
    Prominent NY radio personality just said he believes that offensive tackle is one of two positions that Jets will target in first round #nyj

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

That was Mike F who is about tuned into the Jets thinking as you or me. I was listening and it was as much a guess as any one of our guesses, only less informed.

74, MaximusD163 and themorey like this.
  9. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Since nobody has a clue you felt it necessary to post the ramblings of someone who also does not have a clue in regards to a radio personality who also does not have a clue.
    Thanks.

10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

No need to panic either trade down take Fuller a definite need. Or take Marquise Lee @18 still a need. I wouldn't bother me at all if those 4 players are gone.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

If the 2 CB and 2 WR mentioned are gone there is a good chance that someone like M. Lee, T. Lewan, Barr, Martin, Dix or Pryor are on the board.
    Further, if Bridgewater is there then let the deals for a trade down begin. If we could move down and pick up a second or third that would be sweet.

boozer32 likes this.
  12. boozer32

There would be a revolt if the Jets took a T. Why waste a pick on someone that will not play this year. You have a LT getting big money then you sign a RT for 18 million. Then you still have major holes at CB/WR.

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

2 reasons why you take a tackle if he is bpa
    1. injuries
    2 there will be a season after this one.
    having a replacement in place before its needed is better than looking for one when you have to have it.

14. boozer32

I agree but they drafted two offensive lineman last year. If they take another one it would instantly label last years draft a bust before the season even begins. Let's see what we have in Abouoshi (sic) and Campbell first. You can get a good offensive lineman in the 3rd and 4th round. We need to address the offense its been neglected for so long. A tackle sitting for another year is not gonna help us get in the endzone.

15. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

If they are all gone someone will fall to us.

Taylor Lewan
    Jake Matthews
    Anthony Barr
    Dix or Pryor

deerow84 likes this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

3 - Someone that good might not become available via the draft to the Jets at all for years, particularly when you desperately need it, thus having to overpay in free agency or mortgage your draft picks to move up. You draft with the future in mind far more than for the present.

FJF likes this.
  17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

the 2013 draft isn't a bust if aboushi and campbell don't pan out. further, they are competing for rg and rt. bringing in another tackle that can compete with brick and eventually replace him is worth the 48th spot on the roster this year. like lajet said, you draft with an eye to the future

18. laxin

laxin Active Member

Ebron, Kyle Fuller, Lee, trade back.

19. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I have heard a lot of concern about Barr, and he is compared very much to Gholston. Not because people are trying to say something dramatic, but by legit scouts who say he is the closest thing in terms of body, skill, and experience to come into the draft since Gholston. A highly similar body type, inexperience at the position, and some apparent difficulty at changing speed to explosive power. He's not one of the guys I've looked at closely, this is just what I've heard/read.

20. Ebron
    Sefarian-Jenkins(Don't care if he's a slight reach at 18 cause he's a beast)
    Lee
    Clinton-Dix

#20 KurtTheJetsFan, May 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2014
    boozer32 likes this.