what do you think will happen with the RT spot??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Martin&theJETS, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

i dont think we have a shot at levi brown but we do have a shot at justin blalock at 25. so if we get blalock and have him as our starting RG, that only leaves one more hole on the line and that is RT. do we sign Athony clement or do we try to draft a RT with one of our 2nd round picks. i was thinking we could get Joe Stanley or Doug Free at 57.

2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I saw Eric Mangini go straight from McDonalds to Burger King, then back across the street to Wendy's and Taco Bell. If that's any indication, we might be in trouble.

3. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

2 holes................ Kendall is 34. Although he is still playing well, he needs to groom an heir. Whether that happens this year or next is open for debate. Even if the Jets have 2 holes, D-line has to be addressed. I do not think they have the luxury to use 2 of the top 3 choices on O-line. Unless of course the player available is that much better than the player that fills the bigger need.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

:rofl: :rofl:

5. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I'd bet one of the two 2007 second round picks goes for a RT--Not sure if that guy can play right away but in my opinion Adrian Jones will always be a backup.

6. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

Perhaps they think Blalock can play RT. I wouldn't be surprised if they picked him (in fact, the more I look at the draft, the more I think this will ahppen) and put him at RT for the year, figuring they will move him to RG if he doesn't show improvement over the course of the year OR if they come across a better RT candiddate in the 2008 draft. I doubt they would try to fill RT in the second round, especially Joe Staley and Doug Free, who are both LTs. Maybe someone like Brandon Frye, Corey Hilliard or James Marten in a MUCH later stage. Whether or not they end up drafting Blalock, I would think they would bring back Clement. No sense in not having insurance.

7. baamf

baamf Active Member

This has been discussed ad nauseum but I think we are going to have Blanton and/or Clement with a late round pick being groomed. If they can't get a deal done with Clement look for a late cut being brought in....

8. KSJets

KSJets New Member

No way they start two rookies on the right side of the line. At least last year there was Kendall between Brick & Mangold. No such luxury if you redo the right side with two rookies.

9. wesleywalker85

wesleywalker85 New Member

Guard is an important need but I see Tangini Going with defense with 2 or 3
    of our first 4 picks

10. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

We need a nose Tackle, Cb and Lb more. We have a real schedule next year and we need to be able to defend against real teams. A tackle or Guard can be found in the later rounds or picked up off the waiver wire.

11. asscue35

asscue35 New Member

Rt

Why on earth will they go with Blanton? Clement did ok but if we can upgrade on Clement and keep Clement as a back up/Insurance policy while we groom a RT that would be great.I am hoping we use 2 of our fierst three picks to address the O line just like we did last year.Hopefully the results turn out just as well as the two guys we drafted last year.

12. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I think it will be left as an open competition between Adrian Jones, Wade Smith, Ed Blanton and Anthony Clement, once he's resigned that is.

#12 JetFanInPA, Mar 16, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  13. baamf

baamf Active Member

They seem to be high on him; he will definitely be someone to watch in training camp. He surely has the size you want. I'm with you though bring a young guy in to groom and have a veteran providing competition. I'd use a least two of those first picks on D though...

14. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Hey, Brandon Moore became a starter in a similar way. He was undrafted, was in TC for a year or so and eventually became our starting RG... Don't discount Blanton.

15. asscue35

asscue35 New Member

Rt

Last year the CS said they were high on Katnik and see how that turned out.I am not sure whether or not Blanton is ready.He has the size etc but that alone hardly determines capability. Maybe it may take him a few years,.I think we should not wait to find out lets get someone who we know can do the job right now. There is too much at stake at that position to guess or wait on Blanton to be ready.We have Thomas Jones, lets get someone who can pave the way for him.Hopefully Blalock steps in at guard/RT.I agree on Barndon Moore but even though Moore has done ok at that position I would prefer if he is a backup and we draft two O linemen.

16. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

jets are looking at Tackles. but it may not be blaylock. more food for thought

17. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

i think katnik did freakin awesome when kendall was injured.

18. baamf

baamf Active Member

Just a note on Clement. I pulled the following from the CBA on free agency. Maybe it is common knowledge but I didn't quite get how it worked until I read this.

In the event that an Unrestricted Free Agent has not signed a Player Contract with a Club by July 22
    or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later, in the League Year following the
    expiration of his last Player Contract, he may negotiate or sign a Player Contract from July 22 until the Tuesday
    following the tenth week of the regular season, at 4:00 p.m. New York time, only with his Prior Club, provided
    that the Prior Club by June 1 has tendered to the player a one year Player Contract of at least 110% of either (a)
    his Prior Year Salary (if his expiring Player Contract is not a Player Contract he entered into as a Rookie), or (b)
    his Paragraph 5 Salary (if his expiring Player Contract is a Player Contract he entered into as a Rookie, without
    renegotiation), in each case with all other terms of his contract identical to his prior year?s contract.

Basically, if he hasn't signed a contract with another club by the start of training camp then his rights revert back to us as long as we offer him a June 1st tender (agree to pay him 10% more than last year). Seeing he played for the veteran minimum last year, that would be a good deal. I'm sure they'd tender him if it comes to that. Not saying that would preclude us from other moves in that position but it would seem the prudent thing to do for depth if nothing else....