What do you think about Tua getting pulled?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ouchy, Dec 29, 2020.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

When the game came down to crunch time Miami pulled him for Fitz.

I know FItz is a veteran and its Tua's rookie season but this isn't exactly a good sign. What do you think?

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

They should have never switched to Tua, IMO. I really feel like it was an ownership decision after seeing Burrow and Herbert light it up. Hey, let's see my new shiny toy type of thing.

3. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Agreed. Everyone knows what Fitz is at this point, but he was playing at the highest of his highs and the team was gushing over him and then all of a sudden, time to see what we have in the rookie. They have continued to win despite his play (which hasn't been too poor for a rookie) but clearly they should have just let Fitz finish out the year and see if he had a magical run in him.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Definitely the wrong move to make the switch but I don't hate the idea of starting him and letting Fitzpatrick be the reliever now that the switch has already been made.

Tua does protect the ball well at least. He needs to let it fly some more as he's too tentative.

5. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

I think Tua is overrated and have thought he was going to be a bust since he was drafted.

joe likes this.
  6. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I suspect the switch timing was predetermined before the season as their bye week, but then thingswere confused by the impact of the postponements and the bye week moving much earlier. I've not been hugely impressed by what I've seen of Tua so far. He hasn't turned the ball over but that's pretty much it.

phubbadaman likes this.
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I think Tua is more a project then a FQB. That is good news cause the dolphins are getting awfully good everywhere else.

That said, COVID sidelining Fitz saves the dolphins from being the latest team to have Fitz blow their playoff chances in the last game of the season.

abyzmul and patleahy like this.
  8. patleahy

I agree with what you just said Ouchy. I thought Tua was overrated as an NFL prospect.

ouchy likes this.
  9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Tua is the next Tyrod Taylor

JetsKickAss and patleahy like this.
  10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I wonder if the Dolphins move on after one year just like the Cards did with Rosen. Flores didn't really commit to Tua.

patleahy likes this.
  11. Falco21

Pick 6 now

12. patleahy

If they are smart they will.

13. patleahy

That is how I felt about him coming out of Bama....I thought he was massively overhyped by the media as a pro prospect ....kinda like TL.....:):)

14. Falco21

Dolphins eliminated after having an 88% chance of going to the playoffs.

Fuckin nuts haha!

Royal Tee likes this.
  15. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Fins really missed Fitzy today (although if history is any guide he would have been as bad as Tua was).

Fins really missed the good version of Fitzy today.

ouchy and Royal Tee like this.
  16. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

This guy was
    6-2 W/L
    10-2 TD/int
    93.2 QBR
    65% completion rating and you think he sucked?
    all as a rookie thrown to the fire.

mrodriguez4096 likes this.
  17. Falco21

This is a PRIME example of why statistics do not always tell the entire story. I would imagine you have watched very little of him this year.

There is a very good reason why everyone here in Miami is throwing him in the trash right now and why during yesterday's game, the announcers were blatantly stating that drafting a QB this next draft is not off the table for Miami.

There is also a very good reason why Mike Lombardi said this the other day about Tua:

“Tell me what he does elitely with the football,” Lombardi said, via Fox News. “He doesn’t have an elite arm. He doesn’t have elite quickness. He doesn’t have elite size… They said it on the broadcast, he has ‘it.’ Like, what the f–k is ‘it?’ I want to know what ‘it’ is… like, What is ‘it?!’ I wanna know what the f–k ‘it’ is.”

I won't even get into the fact that even the Dolphins coaching staff has ZERO trust in him. Hell, Flores even admitted the other day that if they need to go to a "relief pitcher", they will. The only reason he wasn't benched yesterday was because Fitz was on the COVID list.

Last week against the Raiders, Tua had 94 total yards and 1 TD. They benched him for Fitzpatrick who immediately comes in and throws for 182 yards and 1 TD and they win the game.

#17 Falco21, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    patleahy and dawinner127 like this.
  18. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I don't get the hype with Tua either. Flores has done a good job with the rebuild but that team is built on their defense. If Tua truly was the guy then why do they turn to Fitz when things get difficult. As you mentioned he doesn't have a strong arm. He also seems to wait for his receivers to get "Alabama open". That won't happen in the NFL. Many times when receivers are open at the NFL level the QB still has to fit it into a tight window. Would GB pull Rodgers, the Chiefs pull Mahomes, the Bills pull Allen when things get difficult like the Fins do with Tua. I don't think so. Those teams have QB's who have the "it" factor.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He definitely has an NFL arm and enough mobility to survive in the modern game. I think his issues stems more from trying to play mistake free football all too often and not being willing to air it out. He also has good fundamentals from a drop back/footwork standpoint which goes a pretty long way in the NFL and is something that fans don't really give credit to.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DjZoaswg_Ps&ved=2ahUKEwjymuOcu4LuAhWF1FkKHalLAdAQwqsBMAB6BAgBEAM&usg=AOvVaw0AEf-gV5G93Exnf8_XXfEH

I'd like to see him tighten up his throwing motion a bit to get rid of the wind up. But arm/mobility aren't really a question with Tua in my eyes.

20. patleahy

well-said Falco, well-said. Stats do not always tell the entire story, whether you are talking about a player's statistics or a coach's won-loss record.