What do we have to do to keep both Holmes and Edwards?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pereiro16, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Pereiro16

Pereiro16 Member

Who do we have to give up in order to keep them both? Cotchery too...

2. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Say goodbye to Cromartie for starters. There's some decent shuffling the Jets could do to free up cap space to keep 3/4 of the big starters.

www.nyjetscap.com

3. Montana

Montana Member

If we let Brad Smith, Cromartie, Ellis, and Jenkins walk.......we'd have plenty of room to sign both (and resign Harris).

4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Don't forget we will cut some guys..... Possibly BT, JT, LT, Ghost, Pryce, and possibly others.

5. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Ellis and Big Jenks will come cheaply.

If we dont resign either its due to health/age/performance concerns not cap space. These are guys who want to play as Jets, for Rex, more than getting a paycheck.

That said Cromartie/Smith out the door is more than possible

Im REALLY hoping we tag and trade Cromartie to help us get that draft pick were missing. And at the same time havin that free up cap for our wr trio

6. Montana

Montana Member

Jenks is currently under contract for $6.7 million for next year.......if he comes back, it's because he agrees to take a drastic drastic pay cut.

Ellis likely won't be back, unless he gives us a hometown discount, otherwise he'll likely be offered more on the open market than we're willing to give him.

Smith is all but gone......and likely two of Edwards, Holmes, Cro will be kept....just a matter of which two.

Cro will (likely) still be a restricted free agent......we won't even need to franchise him, same for Holmes.

7. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

Jenks better agree to take a drastic pay cut after the bajillion knee injuries he's had, or else dont let the door hit your ass on the way out krissy

8. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I'm sure he's aware that his value has plummeted. If he plays next season like he says he plans to, I think it will be for us at a reduced price. He won't get much more on the open market.

9. Montana

Montana Member

I feel pretty confident Mark would restructure his deal, if it meant keeping both WR's, as well.

10. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Cro and Holmes would both be RFA ?

Unless im misunderstanding the RFA/UFA rules which is completely possible, both these guys have 5 seasons /played in the nfl. Which would make them both UFA

Anyone able to confirm/deny this ?

11. JetsFanDoc

Don't be so sure

12. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Isn't this the year that the rest of Faneca's contract comes off the board as well? I think we'll wind up with a little more money to play around with than most people think.

13. JetsFanDoc

Tannenbaum is like a magician when it comes to this shit. If they wanna keep both Bray and Holmes, you better believe they'll find room in the cap.

14. pittguy578

pittguy578 New Member

Get someone to pee in a cup for him..

15. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

until we have a new contract between the players and the owners its' really impossible to tell who we can and can't keep.

While I presume there will still be a salary cap we have no idea what it will be under the new agreement. Though there is a small possiblity, very small, there will be no cap but that would take some big concessions from players and I don't see that happening.

We have no idea if there will still be tags, and if so what they will be.

We have no idea what the new definitions for free agents and compensation for some of those Free agents will be, if any.

We have no idea if there will be a true draft slot money system put in place which would make it possible to pay more to established players while paying less to unproven players.

We're not even certain there will be a 2011 season....although I don't believe either side will let it wipe out the 2011 season, both sides have too much to lose.

But until there's a new agreement is reached I don't expect to see much, if any, movement on the player front by teams.