What changes if any will be made?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Oct 20, 2021.

1. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

This isn't rocket science. Everyone knows what must happen here. If the Jets plan to get off to faster starts and to get the offense to start to click they need to change things up. Parcels would do it whenever he didn't see the offense clicking as well as he thought it should. Herm even made massive changes to the starting lineup in 2002 when the Jets started off 1-3. Saleh, I'm certain is thinking about a twofold approach. Not just starting lineup changes but strategy changes as well.

So I ask you... What changes do you think Saleh makes to the starting lineup? I'll start... I think GVR gets benched. I'm really not sure who he'll start over GVR but everyone knows this is a change that's needed to happen since week 1.....

2. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

more high percentage passing on first down
    more playaction bootlegs to get wilson out of the pocket

Not much else you can scheme...the rest is execution which just hasn't been there

3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Catch the damn ball. To many drives stopped on dropped passes.

4. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I am interested to see what happens when Becton comes back. Will Fant slide back to right tackle, where he was a disaster in week one? If he does, will he have improved?

It's also tough to argue with the execution thing. If some of the passes thrown by Wilson had been caught, things would look a bit better. I know all QBs have dropped passes and in some ways it is futile to talk about them, but he has been victimised at some critical points.

5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I think we will:
    1. Pass more on 1st down. We lead the league in running on 1st down in the 1st quarter at 70 percent. The offense only gets moving in the 2nd half when we start passing.
    2. A lot more quick short passes. The Jets have surprisingly run a lot of long developing plays trying to hit on big plays. They have been very poor on long developing plays. But on quick plays where Zach gets the ball out in 2.5 seconds or less he has the 4th best adjusted completion pct. In the league at 89.5 percent.
    3. Get the ball in the hands of Moore. Moore has been open and has has a very good seperation rate but generally he is the 3rd read. The line and Zach both have had difficulty making it to the third read. They need to run some plays for Moore as the primary read, along with some bubble screens and jet sweeps.
    4. Make an effort to get Zach into a passing rhythm, gain confidence and comfortable with an emphasis on quick passes within the structure of the offense.
    5. Passes being made on time and less Zach being hesitant and holding the ball. There has to be an emphasis on him making his read one hitch and the ball is gone. Hesitancy and confusion kills QB confidence and mechanics.
    6. Progress will be incremental, slow with ups and downs. Hopefully,less downs but until Zach can get into an offensive rhythm and gain confidence I expect more downs.

Brook!, cval, Jets81 and 3 others like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with your first sentence, but not the second. I think there's a lot more that they can do.

I would add the following:

Passing attack:

1. Stop trying to explore weaknesses in the opposing team's secondary in the 1st quarter, and instead focus on getting your offense executing and working efficiently and successfully. Quit trying for the quick strike and chunk plays, and focus on maintaining possession and driving down the field and at least picking up 2-3 first downs on every drive. This will help boost Zach's and the offense's confidence, it will keep the other team's offense off the field more, keep our D more rested, and make opposing offenses have to drive the length of the field following a punt. Who knows? It could even lead to our scoring points.

2. Since Zach is struggling with seeing the D and accuracy on play action passes, abandon play-action passes for a short time, and throw quicker, shorter passes (3-5 yards) on both 1st and 2nd downs to get Zach in a rhythm of getting the ball out quickly, the offense in sync, and build all of the whole team's confidence by having the offense sustain drives and hopefully, scoring points. These short passes where he doesn't have to turn his back to the LOS and off the D will help Zach relax and make better decisions.

3. Start Mims and alternate with Cole opposite Davis, and alternate Moore and Crowder in the slot. Stop playing Moore outside.

4. Quit focusing almost exclusively on Davis and forcing the ball to him. Use him as a decoy, and focus on getting the ball to Moore, Crowder, Mims, and Kroft. Use Moore in WR screens, slants, short curl routes, etc. Throw to Carter more. Put the ball in your two best playmakers' hands.

5. Have Zach run more rollouts, bootlegs to the left and away from the man that GVR is supposed to be blocking, but occasionally (just enough to keep opposing Ds honest) cross up the D and run some naked bootlegs to the right.

Rushing attack:

1. I know this is a strange concept, but since this is supposed to be a wide zone rushing scheme, and the run is supposed to set up the pass, how about actually doing two things: actually running wide instead of up the gut and establishing the run? I know this may be a product of Fant not being very effective as a run blocker and GVR being the weak link, even though Moses is a good run blocker. We need to get Becton back.

2. Make it a priority in practice. Work on their execution.

3. I mention this with some trepidation, but perhaps have some safe designed runs for Zach where he can pick up 3-5 yards and get out of bounds. This will give the D something else to think about.

Play calling:

1. Stop with the predictable running the ball on 1st and 2nd downs most of the time and throwing on 3rd and long. Pass more on 1st and 2nd downs and run occasionally on 3rd and long.

2. Get Moore more involved. Use him creatively on reverses, screens, etc.

3. Focus on getting Zach and the offense going in the 1st quarter and sustaining drives. Once the offense gets its confidence built and is moving the ball, then focus on exploiting weaknesses in the opposing team's secondary.

4. Be flexible!!!! Take what the opposing D is giving!!! If they're stacking 8-9 men in the box, take deep shots with Mims and Moore until they back off. If they're playing coverage and daring you to run the ball, throw short passes and run the ball down their throats!

5. Quit being so predictable with whom is catching passes. Quit forcing the ball to Davis! His hands aren't reliable. Maybe if he becomes a secondary target, his hands will become more reliable. Spread the ball around. Focus on getting Mims involved a lot more. Get the ball to Crowder more and to Moore, Berrios, and to Cole. Either use Wesco (as either a FB or TE) or release him and quit wasting a roster spot on him. If Yeboah knows the offense, elevate him to the roster and get him involved.

6. Simplify the offense. Adapt it to the abilities of the players you have now, not for some players who aren't even on the roster now. Quit forcing square pegs into round holes. Quit doing stupid things like forcing Mims to learn the slot WR position.

Blocking:

1. When McDermott's back, give him reps with the 1st team in practice. If he looks better than GVR, start him. If nothing else, maybe that will light a fire under GVR and make him play better.

Practice:

1. Quit practicing the #1 offense against the scout team D. Practice against the #1 D to sharpen the offense and make them work harder. This will also give a better idea of what will actually work for the offense in games.

2. Have all the WRs, TEs, and RBs catch 100 passes every day from the JUGS machines. Work with them on focus/concentration.

I'm sure there are probably other things that can and should be done as well.

joelip, PJ4Ever, Brook! and 1 other person like this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I think most all the above recommendations are spot on.
    Here are my two cents. Clearly, at the top level, as always, the focus is on play calling and execution. Play calling is so crucial, as we are incredibly predictable on the first half of every game, to the point the opposing defense is playing to our weakness and making things tougher for Wilson on second or third and long. Execution has been poor from the top down. Wilson has been way off target on short passes missing wide open receivers, horrible unnecessary penalties by the offense that put us in a hole, acerbated by spotty shitty officiating. But the one thing I have noticed after overdosing on NFL games this year is this, no question, the good or great QBs make every one around them better, but Lord, the reverse is also true. The WRs and TEs and even RB are catching tough balls down to their shoe laces at an incredible rate and rarely missing easy catches, be it for Josh, Baker, Lamar, Murray, Brady and many others. Not to mention a running game forcing the defense to actually plan against. For us is take away first option, drop a pass on target, or get stopped behind the line, and we go nowhere. Wilson has made his share of rookie mistakes, but the supporting cast has done very little to help him overcome much of anything.

NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Hughes had an interesting nugget on his podcast yesterday -

He said during training camp Moore was playing almost exclusively slot, and the intention was just to get him the ball however possible and let him get YAC. That's where he had immense success. He's been playing primarily outside since the season started, running a lot of longer-developing routes compared to training camp.

Among other things, I think we need to devise creative ways to get him the ball in space and let him do damage after the catch.

PJ4Ever, NCJetsfan and Acad23 like this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

How about personnel changes? We have the worst TE group in the business and our best one... Kroft... is out for a while with a "significant" back issue. The trade deadline is coming up and I would love if maybe, just for once, we were buyers and actually did something to help our young QB. See: Bills, Browns, etc.

Pepsiguy5, Ralebird, PJ4Ever and 4 others like this.
  10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

We desperately need a quality TE. This offense is predicated on good TE play

mrjet80 and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Establish the run and the quick passing game early with our first 15+/- scripted plays. This will allow Zach to get in rhythm. Then proceed to sprinkle in the plays that attack the intermediate & deep part of the field.

12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I imagine next year the Jets will sign at least one FA TE if not two and draft one as well. I know JD was in on Jonnu Smith in FA who was quickly signed by NE. He would have really fit this system well.

I can see a big emphasis next year in FA and the draft on filling the holes in TE as well as RG, RT and safety.

#12 Noam, Oct 20, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    NCJetsfan and cval like this.
  13. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Remember back in 2009, when the Jets brought in Braylon Edwards because Sanchez needed more targets? I loved that move and he was a good player for the very short time he was here.

14. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

When is Cameron Clark slated to return? GVR is only starting because he's the last man standing. If not for Alex Lewis suddenly retiring and Cameron Clark suffering a spinal cord injury, GVR more than likely would have been cut. If Cam Clarke comes back this season, which is when I think they mentioned him returning, he should be able to start over GVR.

15. NCJetsfan

I've heard nothing about Clark in months. I'm not sure that he will ever return. Spinal cord injuries are scary, and I wouldn't blame him one bit if he retired. I hope that he won't, but first and foremost I want him to be healthy. Even if he comes back, who knows what kind of shape he will be in. Is he still in the hospital? Still bed-ridden? Has he been working out and learning the offense? Even if he comes back this year, he may not be ready to play until next year. I'm sure that JD has been in touch with him, but we don't know if Clark will ever be a viable option at OG for the Jets. I doubt that JD will be able to trade for an OG at this point. I think we have to hope that McDermott can supplant GVR and play better or that LaFleur will be able to find a way to minimize GVR's weakness. Maybe he needs to start Wesco and use him as a blocker on every play to help GVR with his assignment.

Noam likes this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

What a concept right? That and trading for Holmes was the last time we did anything to help the offense. Since then we’ve given every QB we’ve had a group of turds at every position outside of 2015. Again… if the Browns and Bills figured out that you need to spend premium assets on skill position players, then I have faith that we will one day as well.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

I definitely think that Davis should be targeted much less. How many drops does he have? Courtland Sutton has 0 drops in 51 targets this season. I imagine that there are other WRs in the NFL who have 0 drops as well. If I was OC and the drops continued with Davis, I'd bench his ass and start Mims over him.

18. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

All you guys hit the nail on the head. However, our HC stated and I quote, "that they tweaked the O (whatever that means) and that they adjusted the practice times so that players Body Clocks could be in sync with GD." Say what? I get not divulging the tweaks but really... sounds like a millennial snowflake comment - NO offense to any millennials that post here and just for the record my youngest son is a millennial....

I'll tell you want, if the so called "tweaks" do not represent some of what you guys posted then that tells me they are married to their system and will not change. If this is the case, then do not expect any difference form what you have been seeing. I hope for all of our sakes that I am wrong.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Dont forget EDGE/LB - could use another outside pass rusher and LB depth.

Jets79 likes this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Do whatever the Cowboys did against NE last weekend ..but do we have the personnel?