What can we expect from Stephen Hill?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Milliner is your Mommy, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

21 catches. 252 yards. 3 TDs. Those are his stats from last year.

How much do you think he will improve this season if at all?
    He dropped far too many passes last year and while he has the reputation for bad hands he has even worse technique. Do you guys think he can become the 2 or 3 receiver that this team desperately needs?

2. NFL

NFL Active Member

I wish he hadn't gotten that season ending injury. I think that he will do better next year. He wont have too many yards because of the offense that were running, and our QB, but he should be productive. I see bombs to him a few times a game next year. Last year he got open a bunch of times going deep but Sanchez eather didn't see him or just Sanchezed it.

3. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

42rec/504yd/6TD

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I expect him to take a major leap forward. I think if healthy w/o making any major moves we will have a good WR corps w/ Holmes, Hill, Kerley and hopefully bringing Braylon back.

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Can we poach Larry Kirksey from Houston? We might have a chance to salvage the trash bin called Jets WR corp once we poach him.

6. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Run fast, run deep and hold onto the ball...

7. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Houston hasn't had a good WR corps... ever. If you think a WR coach is magically going to make horrible WRs into pro bowlers, you're sadly mistaken. You need good receivers.

8. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Hill can definitely do those things, but he's got to get better hands. I think he can only get better, particularly in this system. Who knows - maybe he fills that Maclin role?

At best, 48 catches (60 targets). 500 yards receiving. 8TDs. 1 lost fumble. Realistically, 20 catches. 250 yards. 2 TDs.

9. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

The fact that MM likes to take a few downfield shots a game should serve him well. One of those can take the place of a few drops on short routes. If we actually have a QB who can throw a ong ball who knows. I think he is one of those guys yout ake the good with the bad. We just have not seen the good yet. Thank God he does not seem to be an asshole.

10. Milliner is your Mommy

I agree that a WR coach can only do so much but they have had good WRs. Andre Johnson of course. They had Jacoby Jones who is always alright. Walter is alright. Owen daniels is a good receiving TE. They're obviously not the best WR corps but better then a lot in this league. Its not all that balanced when you have a number 1 WR who was in the best in the league for a few years.

11. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

depends on how he develops and who his QB is.

12. GriffDog

GriffDog Member

Someone will put him in front of a ball machine and stand there and catch balls for 5 hours... the fact that he catches the ball with his body and not his hands is insane to me. I taught my 7 year old niece how to catch with her hands last year.. this dude is in the pros and he still tries to catch with his body???!!

That being said--- you can learn how to catch a ball the right way---you can't teach someone to be 6-4 and run a 4.3-----we knew he would have to be groomed and that will happen between year one and year two-- in the right system

40-600-7

13. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

New system for a struggling rookie... I expect he doesn't make any sort of leap next year. The guy needs to be on the back end of the depth chart until he's ready to go.

14. PuMa

PuMa Banned

I think Hill can be explosive due to his size and speed can break off the jam and make plays IF... he gets his hands on the right track i could see his stats as

43 catches/450 yds/7 TDs

reason i say 7 TD's s because he could be a red zone threat... we will see

15. Milliner is your Mommy

Thats what drove me so crazy. Everyone said he has bad hands but he doesn't use his hands. He always catches it up against his chest. Thumbs together Stephen thats peewee football 101 for WRs.

16. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

I live down here in Houston... trust me, the fans have been bitching about the poor wide receivers down here for years.

Andre Johnson was the #3 overall pick and might be one of the most talented receivers to ever play the game. I don't really credit whoever his position coach is for his success.

After Andre, the Texans have had no passing attack, and its been a big problem. The Jacoby Jones example perfectly illustrates my point, not yours. When he was in Houston he was a bust. He was horrible. They have him every opportunity to be the #2 WR. He gave away games with his drops and miscues. Then they gave him every opportunity to be the #3 WR. The same thing happened. Then they pulled him off returns for the same reasons. Then he leaves this coach, goes to Baltimore, and is an impact player.

Houston has given this coach ample talent to which he has produced no results. They have given him draft picks (Keyshawn Martin, Devier Posey, Jacoby Jones), multiple veteran free agents, and can simply not come up with any wide receivers to help Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson.

Many people down here on local radio have been calling for this guy's head. Believe me, their wr corps has not been successful.

17. Milliner is your Mommy

Oh I'm not crediting the coach at all. I was just saying the Texan's WR corps havent been all that bad. Johnson definitely makes it a bit top heavy but without such a dominant number 1 WR the stats would look a bit more balanced. If you factor in TE and RB they have some great targets for a passing game.

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

double last years #.
    hills head had to be swimming last year in a totally different offense than what he played in at g.t. coupled with the t.c. injuries and the fact that he was raw coming in set him upfor a disappointing debut. now he has seen the pro game and will be more comfortable with his routes he will show more concentration with his catches.
    donot give up on hill, we are 2 years away from a true #1 wr

19. NFL

NFL Active Member

He says that he does the machine shit and is perfect on it. I think his drops are simply because he tries to catch with his body, plus you can tell he got frustrated with himself leading to more drops.

Like someone else said, you can't teach 6' 4" 4.3.

Only thing that's got me worried is if his injury is already healed and if he can go outside and play catch with his little brother or something.

20. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Hopefully we can expect him to stop dropping easy passes.