What can Curtis do for us this year?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by vilmas our future51, Apr 17, 2006.

1. vilmas our future51

vilmas our future51 New Member

Alright can curtis still run between the tackles without getting stuffed at the line... he is my favorite player and always will be but what will our ground game be like this season. I know he was hurt but i seems he doesnt have the cutback that he used to have. Maybe it was our line was the problem. What do you guys think about curtis this year? Will he get another 1,000 yards? Do we need to draft DeAngelo this year or next year?

2. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

Simple.

Curtis can provide ll the running game we need for this team. He needs to be halthy and our o-line needs to provide better than they did last season.

3. greenthumb

greenthumb New Member

I think Curtis can still run between the tackles but the more important questions are:
    1. Will the O-line be able to open up holes so Curtis isn't being met at the line of scrimage every time.
    2. Will we have a viable passing game so every defense we play can't just key on the run.

I heard somewhere that Curtis Martain said he wanted the Jets to Draft Lyndale White. This is where I think Curtis could really help the team. Curtis would be able to take a back like White under his wing and show him what it takes to be a high caliber back in the NFL, on and off the field.

Could you imagine White as a 3rd down short yardage back. Third and One never looked so sweet!

4. vilmas our future51

It would just be like jordan and curtis again except more dominant... i would love it

5. JetLagInCa

JetLagInCa Active Member

Retire

I love the guy but age has caught up with him. You can't keep going forever

#5 JetLagInCa, Apr 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2005
  6. UncleTomNYJ

UncleTomNYJ Active Member

With a oline and some type of a passing game i dont see why he couldnt put up 1100 yards

#6 UncleTomNYJ, Apr 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2005
  7. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

He can get 1000 yards this year if he stays healthy and the oline opens up holes for him despite his age he still has a couple more years left in him.

8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

agree--he's a hall of famer, but it's (past) time. Only Bradway thought Martin and Chrebet could play forever.

9. The Offseason

The Offseason New Member

I think his years are over, and she should retire but I don't think anyone should put him out of the running. If he is healthy and there is an O-line, there is still the possibility that he will flourish once more to a limited amount. Remember what we saw last year was him playing with an injury all year behind a horrible O-line. And he still got 700-something yards.

10. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Yes he did and it was awful to watch. 1100 yards at 3.3 a clip will be just as bad.

11. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Draft DeAngelo

12. vilmas our future51

As u already know i feel the same way:beer:

13. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

this should be his last year as a player. I see him retiring and coming back the next year as a RB coach

14. vilmas our future51

that would be cool

15. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

I wouldnt mind taking him but theres bigger needs that have to be addressed 1st and running back isnt that big of a need considerin Curtis still has a couple years left.

16. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

me three--DeAngelo would be a great choice

17. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

C-Mart has been a Jet for a while. He was a very good back for the NYJ over the past years.

When C-Mart came here with Parcells, I was excited about it. Honestly though I was mildly dissappointed by his impact. He didn't have that same explosiveness I had seen when he was with New England (could have been the Jets line).

He has been a class act, rarely fumbles, good blocker and a solid runner.

BUT, you all saw it ... that game when Jordan showed us that explosiveness and we knew he was the real deal, goosebumps. Many of us wanted him to see a lot more carries from then on, instead he is now a Raider.

Even the year that Curtis won the Rushing Title, he never seemed to dominate in any particular game. Consistent and very good.

I don't think he needs to hang up the spikes, but the transition is past due, it should have been Jordan a year ago, but this year it better be a young pair of legs that has the chance to take it the distance.

18. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

If he plunders this year then I think you can say that.

He earned it with that 2004 season. He hasn't come near to the plunge that Marshall Faulk has recently taken.

19. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Faulk at 31 went into a steep decline like must NFL skill players. Curtis went a year later at 32. Faulk accepted that his skills are eroding to the benifit of the team. They developed a RB to take over. The Jets lost the RB they took to take over and will start again with Houston or somebody else while Curtis is essential a hold the fort option now.

Curtis had 853 yards rushing and recieving last year on 244 touches
    Faulk had 583 on 109 touches. Based on watching Curtis last year, the Jets would have been much better off if Curtis had 109 touches last year rather than 244. The Rams as a team rushed for more total yards with over a 4 ypc average last year while the Jets averaged 3.46 YPC as a team, higher than Martins 3.3 YPC which was considerable lower than Faulks 4.5 YPC on very limited carries.

Hard to argue that Faulk has fallen further than Curtis. You can argue he feel a year or two earlier than Curtis but at this point Curtis has nothing on Faulk.

20. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

curtis may be done but you can't base it on last year, he was playing hurt all year(blame who you want to blame for that) and the team had no passing game and the Ol was in shambles. Whoever you think is the bes RB in the NFL would not have fared well in our O last year.

I don't think he's done as long as he is healthy but i do want to see a reduced load whethr it's sharing w/ houston/Blaylock or if they draft a RB.