What can be done to improve the offense right now?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 14, 2023.

1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Honestly the time to make changes in personnel has unfortunately passed…we should have found a better QB than Simian way back in camp and for sure by the trade deadline…there weren’t GREAT options but there WERE options. Also we should have made a move
    or two at both OL and WR

that being passed as is the point of this post…I agree ok most of the comments here.

I would however try a change at QB say at halftime if Zach continues to be ineffective. He sick’s yes we all know it. And not that Simian is better maybe but sometimes just the change itself can spark a team.

who knows if it would get better or not but jeez what can we lose? We haven’t scored a TD in ages…to me it’s worth a shot just to see. And if you handle it correctly like say a halftime adjustment. It doesn’t have to be a big deal…you don’t even have to say we’re making a change or benching him for the year or anything. You just bring in the other guy and if it words great he can start next week and if it doesn’t you can still go back to Zach if Simian is worse

but to just keep putting the same shit out there is not a good look

2. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'd like to see how the offense moves with Simien.

Clearly the offense is not working with Zach. I'd like to see what it looks like with someone else back there. Maybe the protection and play calling isn't as bad as we all think. Maybe its worse. I'd like to find out.

Outside of that, I'd like to see Lazard, Uzomah and Michael Carter replaced. They're all hurting the team right now, so there is nowhere to go but up.

Pepsiguy5 and BrowningNagle like this.
  3. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Oh I see. So 2 years ago in 2021 in the two games he played for DET Boyle wasn’t very good. No chance he could’ve possibly improved over the last couple years right? Nope. Those 2 bad games clearly showed you all you need to see from him, yet somehow Zach still needs more time and excuses?

GoldenShowers and SOJAZ like this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

3 games not 2. he's also 29 years old in his 5th year. if he was going to improve he would have done it already.how often does a player in the NFL magically improve at almost 30 years old
    zach is 24 in his 3rd season. if anyone has a chance to improve between the 2 it's zach based on age and experience.
    If boyle was some mid round pick rookie or 2nd year guy then you'd have a point. but he isn't.

5. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

That’s funny because I distinctly recall you arguing that draft position no longer matters in the case of Zach Wilson when people were arguing with you that he hasn’t reached his potential. So just like stats, apparently draft position is only pertinent when using them to bolster your opinion. So rather that try something different your stance is we should continue to accept Zach’s incompetence.

SOJAZ likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Siemian starts. Breece Hall gets 20+ carries no matter what. Run a lot of 2 TE sets with Conklin and Ruckert. Place a premium on time of possession.

Pepsiguy5 and Acad23 like this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

when did i mention draft position? lol read much. I mentioned age and experience only
    I also never argued about him reaching his potential. he already showed us he isn't the future. I've said that many times. now your just making shit up too

8. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

Doesnt Saleh say the only diff with players is the reps they get, we all saw the lift M.White gave the entire team last year, give someone else a chance, cos this shit stinks

BrowningNagle likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

run 3 times for 4 yards and punt. whats the point of simian at that point. it's a worse version of our current offense. it's literally what we've been doing. Run , run, pass, punt until were forced to pass all game

10. BrowningNagle

your opinion on Siemian is useless because your football knowledge is poor/lacking

11. GasedAndConfused

white is a better QB then boyle or simian. white was also awful for us in his last 3 starts. his last good game was the chicago game which ironically simian was the starter for them and sucked. we also tried streveler last year and he sucked.
    change for the sake of change isn't a good idea. how does a HC justify to the other 50 players on the roster who play and practice with these people "i'm going to change Qbs because fans are mad" last year was different. zach lost confidence and the locker room. he had to be pulled for his own good. this year that isn't the case. saleh already explained it. How would you feel if you worked with an inept employee and your boss came in and said we are going to replace him because customers are angry but were putting in someone you know is more inept.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

LMAO OMG thats a good one coming from you. You are known as the dumbest one here. I'm just the most arrogant/controversial

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, their options are very limited at this point.

They're not going to replace Saleh, and while he's made mistakes, I'm not in favor of that right now either. But he does need to fix the penalty issues. Even if he isn't an offensive guy, he can at least do that much. When guys commit avoidable penalties there has to be consequences. I'd pull that player for a couple of series, even if they were one of my best players, because if they don't have their head in the game, or they're not giving 100% effort, they're a negative anyway. And if that player continues to make mistakes, bench him, regardless of status or contract. Fixing this is on Saleh, and if he can't then he needs to be replaced, if not during the season then after.

They DO need to replace Hackett, at least as far as game planning and play calling. Making Downing the "operational OC" might help a lot. It sure can't hurt. What really puzzles me is how a guy with as much experience as he has - including growing up under a coach as his father - can be so ineffective. A part of me thinks that he's making decisions based on direction from Saleh to be conservative. In any case, a big part of the offense's struggles are on him.

Play calling: Run left more; run right as little as possible. Call more running plays for Zach. Call more 1 read plays for Zach - when he gets rid of the ball in under 2.5 seconds he's way above average. Why are they calling plays that require him to read the whole field before making a decision? He's not experienced enough (or maybe he's too dumb as some claim which I disagree with) to do this, and even if he could do it, the OL doesn't give him enough tome to do it. More play action which he's pretty good at. More roll outs. They're simply not making use of his best attributes. And stop ruining momentum when you've got things rolling in the passing game by then going back to run, run, run.

Changing players: bench Uzomah, unless injuries force him to see snaps. Play Ruckert more. Same with Lazard - give Gipson his snaps. Make Izzy the #2 RB and use Cook as little as possible.

QB: stick with Zach, but design game plans and play calling more suited to his skill set. Use his running ability more - like the Bills did with Allen. Roll him out to buy time to make some deeper throws.

Things can be improved enough for them to win. If they can't, then clean house and start over, but if that happens, I probably won't bother caring any more because I'm too old to live through another rebuild.

14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

WTF, everyone with high level football knowledge had already anointed me the dumbest poster. Geez the public has a short memory.

Pepsiguy5 and BrowningNagle like this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

actually not. you fell a little short.

16. BrowningNagle

just nonsense. Where do you come up with this shit? Such a weird imagination. A coach would never say that or anything about the fans
    ---

IF Saleh ever grew a pair of balls and benched Wilson, he would tell the team they are making a change at QB AND other positions because the results have been unacceptable in the current state.

Considering they haven't had a sustained touchdown drive in over a month, the locker room would concur. These are grown men, they know they are losing games and not happy with it

SOJAZ and Centiment like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

co-dumbest. we can share :D

Pepsiguy5, Centiment, abyzmul and 2 others like this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

of course not. i'm pointing out how ridiculous it is. If a change makes sense. he'll do it. last year the lockeroom had faith in white, zach lost confidence. they knew it was a change for the better of the team. this year they know boyle and simian are trash and making a change regardless what he tells them the reason is, would only be due to outside pressure.

Blaming the QB alone is such a lazy take.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You can only call someone dumbest if you do it by comparing someone measurably to someone else. And as we all know, measurables are useless unless they support your argument, in which case we are fine with citing them.

20. BrowningNagle

This is a 27th ranked post but top 10 dumbest!

Pepsiguy5, HomeoftheJets and abyzmul like this.