What can be done to improve the offense right now?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 14, 2023.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

So it's quite obvious the offense as a whole is broken. We also have some limits on what can actually be done currently (trade deadline passed, lack of cap room, lack of draft picks and not wanting to lose assets for next year to salvage this year) so I've been thinking what can we realistically do?

Head Coach - it all starts here. between the comments of the defense and saleh's "race to 20" comment it's clear he is calling for a conservative offense where punting is a good option. this is pretty unacceptable. I know we did this back in the sanchez days with rex, but back then we had an elite o-line and consistent run game and we don't have that now. it's ok to be conservative if you can move the ball and control the clock. you don't have to score 30 to win every game. but saleh is trying to run a team in a way that doesn't jive with the current talent on the roster. We moved the ball better against the raiders and converted 3rd downs, but couldn't put up points due to untimely drops and penalties killing us. the penalties is on the HC. this team needs more discipline and accountability. The good guy coach, much like the asshole coach, only works when you are winning. He needs to stop relying on the defense to be the defense and offense. it's not sustainable. he needs to have hackett open the playbook more and manufacture yards and get the ball in the hands of our play makers in space (GW and Breece)

OC - remember last year when everyone wanted to fire MLF? it couldn't be worse? well it got worse. I went back and watched some of our offense from last year and zach was way worse last year then this year but the offense still moved the ball. mostly with creative play designs. we have shifty players the ball in space and let them work. right now we have no creativity. we run up the middle behind a beat up o-line that can't move the d-line. IDK why we even bother to run right. newman and Mitchel don't have the power in the run game to create holes. I can go on for days about the poor playcalling but not really a point as most seem to agree with this. sadly with saleh being a defensive guy he can't "take over" play calling duty. The only one on our staff that seems qualified would be todd downing. he's currently the passing game coordinater and was the OC for the titans in 2021 and 2022. he was also an OC with the raiders in 2017 and has 20+ years experience and a former semi-pro QB. I doubt we make the switch because I don't think saleh wants to blame hackett, and it's not all his fault either, but it's an option. I doubt we make any changes here though right now as we are still planning on the hackett/rodgers combo for 2024 and that needs to be considered. all that can be done is saleh push him to be more aggressive and take some shots downfield and back up the D to open the run game. But IDK if it's all hackett or if saleh is handcuffing him or most likely a combo of both

O-line - Not much we can do here. injuries have taken their toll on an already thin unit. We did sign 2 lineman in the past 2 weeks. 1 off their coach who was pretty bad last year and 1 of waivers. likely just depth. Sadly right now it's as good as it's going to get until CMG comes back. maybe if borwn can come back healthy it'll help. mitchell has done well in pass protection but can't run block for shit. not a bad pick as a 4th rounder but so far seems to be at best a career backup swing tackle. He was a project though and needs to bulk up to be an effective starting OT in the NFL. newman is our 4th string RG. can't do anything about that. Tipp has played well. tomlinson and becton have been ok. I really miss running behind AVT though. still realistically, nothing we can do here

WR - This is one area I feel we have some wiggle room. Lazard has been pretty awful. dumb penalties at bad times, way too many drops, looks like he gives up on routes. he's having a bad year. he is a prime candidate to take away snaps. we are really missing davis out there. I'd give taylor his snaps. he's another big bodied WR who has made plays downfield. he spent his last 3 years with the packers so he knows the offense. I'd also get gipson more touches. he's electric with the ball and the few real reps he's had at WR he's played well. lets see what we have with this kid. run him in the slot with GW and taylor outside. we don't need cobb getting any snaps. he doesn't bring anything to the field. lazard should spell taylor only for right now

TEs - this one here is pretty simple. I'm pretty high on conk. I think he's been our most consistent player on offense. he's reliable, tough and an all around good TE. I think he remains the starter. Uzo however outside of his run blocking has been bad. drops, penalties, not much YAC potential. Ruckert is a 2nd year 3rd rounder. he looks good and has more on field talent then uzo. he's made his mistakes but let him get more reps to work it out. he's the future. uzo is likely gone after this year. let ruckert take all his snaps

RBs - another easy one. Give izzy a shot to get some snaps. Hall should get 20 touches a game. when he needs a break bring in izzy to spell him. Use cook as the 3rd down back and bench carter who's been ineffective this year.

QBs - saved the best for last and this is where everyone will get all in a tizzy. Look zach sucks, we know he sucks. the CS knows he sucks, JD knowns he sucks. thats why we brought in rodgers and all his buddies and his OC. unfortunately rodgers got hurt and zach is starting for us again. the positives though is he's playing better then he did last year and the reality is he sucks less then our other options in simian and boyle. we can't make a change here that will help. the change has to come from the OC and making this as easy for zach as possible. we all see he has the physical talent. he just doesn't have the mental game, he's playing behind a patchwork o-line that can't establish a run game, he only has 1 legit WR it's a shit spot for an already bad QB. Still nothing can change here that'll help.

TLDR: this really is on the coaches. let the young guys play at TE, RB, and WR more. and saleh/hackett need to change the offensive gameplan to better suit our current situation.

EDIT: So far this week this is what we got
    1) MC was benched and then released so he can go elsewhere and get snaps. Izzy to take some snaps finally. Hall will be the 3rd down back. I like this move, with the struggles we've had on 3rd down, having our best RB on the field makes sense. MC was playing pretty poorly so lets see what izzy can do

2) Saleh said Ruckert will get more snaps. didn't say from where but most likely less snaps for uzo who has had a rough past 5-6 weeks

#1 GasedAndConfused, Nov 14, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2023
    SOJAZ, ColoradoContrails and Jets79 like this.
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Play Ruckert, Izzy, and Brownlee

Inactive - Carter

TE3 - Uzamah

Throw the ball down the field. I rather zach turn the ball over on a 50 yard INT down the field than on some quick timing route that he doesn't see a LB.

Let zach get out and be an athlete. Designed runs or something.

REVISion, SOJAZ, dmw and 5 others like this.
  3. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

All those words for one simple fix- replace the QB. Everytime it’s happened the backup came in playing much better than Zach. The QB has a major influence on the team. When a QB sucks the rest of the team falls with him because he is the leader. Other players don’t play as well, blocking looks awful because the QB doesn’t understand wtf he sees, passes get dropped due to inaccuracy as well as the downstream impact ob morale that playing for a QB as unintelligent and frankly as arrogant as Zach. A simple change at WB and I guarantee everything elevates. Trevor Siemian would be a massive improvement.

4. GasedAndConfused

Literally the last time we did (last year with strevler) it was worse. Every time? LMAO we are 0-1 in the past 1 times. where do you come up with the stuff?

Mogriffjr likes this.
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You need all those words to dance around not replacing the biggest issue. You also need to throw out every conceivable measurable that is used to gauge their performance.

6. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

You keep going right to Streveler. Yes, I’d take Streveler and his popgun useless arm over Zach. Why? Because Streveler has confidence. Streveler can look in the eyes of his teammates and show he’s gonna give his best. Strev can’t play football long term, but he can invigorate a team, just like he did when he first came in and moved the ball right down the field. Strev knows his limitations and plays within himself. Zach is a giant deer in the headlights. He’s scared and he’s not a leader at all. He is painfully indecisive because he doesn’t know what decision to make. They’d be much better off telling Zach to play like Streveler. Give Zach one read. If it’s not open then he’s a runner. They should change the offense to a wishbone/option and run so much that a pass is a complete shock and maybe catch the D by surpirse.

SOJAZ likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

man you are full of bad takes today. did zach bang your mom or something?

Hemi and Mogriffjr like this.
  8. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

You really have to much time on your hands, you have to be Defense wins championships, that's the only other poster, who would write 15 paragraphs, to get his points across, then argue with, anyone who didn't agree with him.

9. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

No but apparently he’s been fucking you in the ass for quite a while.

GoldenShowers, Centiment and papapump like this.
  10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

[​IMG]

11. GasedAndConfused

to write a discussion on a forum? otherwise if you aren't willing to do that whats the point of being here. comments like yours are best for twitter

12. GasedAndConfused

yup that's clearly the case. what an amazing comeback

13. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Says the guy who attacked my mom

14. GasedAndConfused

I didn't attack her. I simply asked if thats what happened because it's the most logical reason for you to hate a bad QB for being a bad QB. clearly he did something personal to you

15. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

The only thing Zach has done to me is be useless as an NFL QB. I don’t hold that against him at all, I just want him out of here for the betterment of the team I love. Apparently your love for Zach runs so deep that clearly there’s no solution that doesn’t involve him and no wrong he can do. As to your mom joke, you’re blind devotion to Zach would be much more indicative to you having some sort of love fancy for him.

SOJAZ likes this.
  16. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Replace the quarterback, try other things after.

Fin

17. GasedAndConfused

I don't love zach but I take into account the other options currently and the cap room. you know look at the situation like an adult instead of an angry teen. I want him off the team too, when it's feasible which will be after the 2024 season. If they want to try and bring someone in to compete for the backup spot next year I'm all for it. But currently right now, he's a better option then boyle or simian so no reason to "cut off our noses to spite our faces"

18. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

How do you know he’s better than Boyle?

westiedog1 likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

I watched him start 3 games for the lions a couple years ago. he isn't an NFL QB. not even a backup. last year he was a 3rd string behind backup nathan peterman for the bears. peterman is an all time awful QB. barely rosterable. still they kept peterman as a backup over boyle. and peterman got leaped by UDFA rookie bagent by week 4 as the backup. it's a shit QB sandwhich. we signed boyle because he's rodgers golf buddy and knows hacketts system and you expect your 3rd QB to be on a PS and hold a clip board. Also since he was on the PS even with all the QB injuries in the NFL, no team scooped him up.

20. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

For one, if the run game starts going, don’t start throwing 50 times. Like the bills last night, cook got going, so they kept using it . It will open up other things.

If you get to the redzone, throw in the endzone. Stop trying to be cute.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.