what about a qb @6

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jersey Joe 67, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

maybe i'm far feched with this, but what if because we've addressed all our BIG needs, through FA, and the other pieces we need in the draft, are clearly readily available in the 2rd,down. what if we draft RYAN, @#6?

2. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

And what qb is worth #6 pick?

3. Jersey Joe 67

what about matt ryan?

4. GangGreen

GangGreen New Member

I really don't see any qb worth a #6 pick, let alone top 10. As good as Matt Ryan was last year, I'm not too high on him. I would rather use a mid round draft pick on Joe Flacco.

5. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

Theres no chance. Tannenbaum drafted Clemens in the second round of the 06 draft because he believed he was the qb of the future. Nothing happened in 07 to make Tannenbaum lose faith in Clemens. He was in a horrible situation last season and Tannenbaum took major steps this off-season to put Clemens in a position to succeed in 08.

6. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Until you guys get serious about your OL and your overall strategy, you can forget the ballet dancers. They aren't worth a plug nickel if your OL gets them mashed.

I think what you're going to see is that we have a "Utility RB" backfield that will overachieve if these guys in the FO / CS are right. If they're not, then we won't have some $40 million torn ACLs to worry about for the next couple of years.

7. GangGreen

GangGreen New Member

I agree. Clemens deserves the chance to start a full season before we look to replace him. Last year he had no protection or time to do anything. With this O-Line Clemens will be able show what he's got and whether or not we need to look somewhere else. I would still like bringing in Joe Flacco and trading Pennington. Pennington IMO just doesn't have it anymore. And Flacco would provide competition for Clemens which just might give him another boost. If Clemens isn't the guy, then we got Flacco the next year who has a ton of potential.

8. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I'm cool with taking Flacco and having him in the wings for a year or two. Penny's best days are behind him, unfortunately. Notice there haven't been too many teams foaming at the mouth to trade for Pennington as their starting QB.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

The money it takes to pay a top 10 QB and the years it sets your franchise back if it doesn't work.. no, not at 6

10. Section 227. Row 5

Looking at how much Cap room we have left, it's looking more and more to me that we've already planned on trading out of #6. I can't imagine having enough money left to sign a #6 and still take care of the rest of the draftees, not to mention Rhodes' and others' contracts coming up.

11. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

Dont forget we're gonna most likely be trading or cutting DRob adn Pennington- saving some big money there.

12. Jersey Joe 67

i don't know why you guys keep assuming we are gonna get rid of chad. i think he will be the one behind center when the season starts. mark my words. i'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it's my gut feeling.

13. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I agree that it he won't be traded and could very well be the QB on opening day.

14. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

If you want a QB, draft one in round 2. Brohm, Ryan, and maybe Flacco are at about the same level in my mind. You could even go later, there are a bunch of decent QBs later.

15. jetmatt12

jetmatt12 New Member

Chad and Kellen will be the qbs for this team, with Chad probably winning the battle in training camp. There is no point in bringing in a qb to a talentless team, is clearly what we have decided. So we will build up talent and then, if neither of our options works out a qb, we can then proceed to find a veteran or even a stud rookie to lead our talented team.

16. DougBrien'sABum

DougBrien'sABum New Member

I love the Flacco idea. The kid has great potential and is a great team guy, I can't see any risk in taking him even if you keep chad as the veteran qb for opening day.

17. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

as was said, what QB is worth the #6 pick?

18. Section 227. Row 5

Chad will not be traded, but nor do I see him starting. We'd be crazy to get rid of him because we still need to see what we've got in Clemens behind a decent O-line. If Clemens starts and gets injured, we have to have Chad to step in.

So no, anyone who thinks we free up Cap space this year by jettisoning Chad is mistaken. And that only leaves whatever Cap room we can save by completing the Robertson trade. And that won't go very far once you've drafted 7-9 guys and signed them all.

Not to mention all that noise back in the locker room. What's that sound? Sounds like Laveranues Coles making that unbelievable whining noise again.

19. Section 227. Row 5

Right. We invest in Flacco, shelve him for now and we now have options with our QB situation. If Clemens blossoms into our franchise guy, we can still trade Flacco for good value down the road. If Clemens falls on his face, we play Chad for now while grooming Flacco. Both scenarios keep Flacco in the stable, learning the system and enjoying a couple of good TCs and preseason games. Tui remains as cheap insurance in case all goes to hell in an injury-ridden season from hell.

With all we've invested now at this point to build a foundation, I'd feel much better with some QB options on the table. You don't want to get a SB-contending team cranking by '09 only to have no QB available to take it all the way.

BTW, I don't necessarily mean to "shelve" a guy like Flacco. I'd have him competing in Camp just like everyone else. You might be surprised at what it brings out in any of them!

20. DougBrien'sABum

DougBrien'sABum New Member

Yeah I couldn't agree more.