WHAT A JOKE-no respect

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by themantda, Jun 17, 2008.

1. themantda

themantda New Member

http://blog.nj.com/jets/2008/06/jets_continue_to_get_no_respec.html

Jets Continue to Get No Respect
    Posted by Bob Bullock June 07, 2008 10:02PM
    Categories: News
    I shouldn't expect it to be any different, but I keep waiting to get some favorable feedback for Gang Green from someone, anyone. Unfortunately, it never seems to be the case.

So far, I've already read in Lindy's 2008 Football Preview that the Jets will finish 4th in the AFC East. That's right, 4th place BEHIND a FISH team that is building from the ground up and a Bills team that still has quite a few holes. That doesn't seem to matter though, because the Jets will be in last place according to all the "experts".

Next, I hear on ESPN radio that the FISH should equal its win total from last season in week one, when they defeat the Jets. What that prediction is based on I have no idea, other than the fact that the Jets are just expected to be bad...AGAIN.

It seems to me that it doesn't even matter who is lining up for the Green and White. Just being the Jets is good enough for everyone to pick the team to finish last. When the front office makes a move it is considered "being desperate". When they fail to make a move it is an organization that didn't address a major need area.

Plain and simple, it is just the Jets being, well, the Jets. A team with little or no expectations for the coming season, as it is just about every year. Perhaps it is because the years the team is picked to do well, which is VERY rare mind you, they end up falling way short of those predictions.

Whatever the case may be, we should all just expect to have negativity thrown at us from all angles as the season approaches. Be it lack of respect, lack of expectations, lack of a championship since 1969, or just lack of consistency from the entire organization, Gang Green is always viewed as a "sister of the poor" franchise.

The team needs to earn the respect, which is the only way out of this perception from the outside world. It is the reason the Jets' players have a very difficult time making the Pro Bowl. It is a perception that these players don't deserve the right to go to Hawaii. Just like the team doesn't deserve the right to be considered a solid playoff team, even though the players listed on the roster says differently.

I know we should all be used to it by now, but each season it gets more and more frustrating. We also all know the only way to change that perception will be by winning a championship. That will be the only way to change it, the only way for Gang Green to be viewed in a different light.

Ok, that ends my poor, poor, pitiful Jets campaign that I felt it necessary to write today.

The team ended minicamp and checked out the new practice facility today. The Jets will move in at some point during this year's training camp.

In other notes, CBS Sportsline ranked both the D-Lines and O-Lines around the league. The Jets finished 19th overall, with the O-Line ranking 14th and the D-Line coming in at 22.

The Chris Baker story continues, thanks to the media folks who have very little to write about at this point. It is nice to read the posts from around the web though, most of you are smart enough to be against Baker. Although the front office should have never let this get out of hand, as I mentioned on my last post. Just dump this guy fast please; it's Chris "freakin''" Baker for goodness sake, not some perennial

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

what a baby... Bob's a woe is me, sky is falling loser.

3. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

While saying Miami is going to beat us is extreme.. We haven't done anything to earn respect. Offseason signing don't make us any better than a 4 win team until we are actually on the field.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Wins earn respect.

However, every year the Redskins went insane in FA, they were given high marks, so I understand where he is coming from.

5. Denny

Denny Active Member

We got em right where we want em. Underdog!!!!

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I agree with that, but I feel the Washington comparisons are unfair. Their off-season spending was always reckless and they overpaid for average talent. I can see the Pace signing being the exception, but the Jets went after proven winners and veterans that have vast knowledge to teach the young guys. Intelligent Free Agent Signings are different than Washington/Oakland Free Agent Signings.

7. flgreen

flgreen New Member

It doesn't matter what anyone writes in the off season. If the Jets come out and are 2-1 in the first 3 weeks, the national media will start talking good about them.

All these slams IMO are fair. The Jets were 4-12 last season. The FA moves have not proven successful as yet are an unknown.

Actually I like the idea of the National media slamming the Jets. Most players can read, even Pats, if a few of them get cocky, anything can happen.

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

The Media will be talking division title if the Jets go 2-1 after week 3.

Remember being 6-0 in 2004? Ahhhhh :)

9. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

this was all that needed to be said. JUST WIN, BABY!

10. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Hey, as long as we're confident, and others doubt us, we'll have the underdog vibe going.

That being said, while I don't see how Miami will finish ahead of us, I understand us not getting respect now. We won 4 games last year.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'll be pleasantly surprised if the Jets win week 1 in Miami.

12. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

How can such a thing be a surprise? We swept them when we were awful and we've made strides and they've made tuna.

13. Kenny

Kenny New Member

Well every time this team has big expectations we get a big let down. When we arent supposed to do much we usually have our best years.

14. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

in that case, it must be a superbowl year.

15. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

If history is any indicator we will lose Week 1. All but one 1-15 team has won their season opener the following season. Only the Saints lost week 1 in 1981 after going 1-15 in 1980. We won 41-3 in the '97 opener after going 1-15 in '96.

We have to earn respect, I don't care what any "experts" say. 3 years ago we were supposed to be good according to the "experts" and we stunk, 2 years ago we were supposed to stink and we were good, last year we were supposed to challenge NE and we stunk. I don't worry about where we are predicted.

16. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

We had 4 wins last year. Based upon that record alone I don't respect this team.

Also consider that we actually made Buffalo look good last year and we barely beat Miami in one of our wins, if I remember correctly.

We don't have a true #1 WR threat, the right side of our O-Line is questionable, #2 CB remains a mystery and we don't yet know if this will be the year that the team finds its pass rush.

17. nyjunc

The 1st Miami game we were up 31-13 and went into prevent mode, the score was closer than that game was.

We have a #1 WR in Coles and an excellent starting duo, after that there are alot of questions.

18. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I don't see Coles as a true #1 threat when you look to other receivers in the league, ala T.O., Randy Moss, Plax, where you're getting hands + moves + speed + height. You also have to consider that Coles is one good hit to the noggin away from retiring to that palatial estate in Florida. If anything, Coles is 1A, close but not a complete overall receiver- then again, there's probably only 5 or 6 guys in the league who do fit into that classification. I'm a huge Cotchery fan- have been since the beginning when he showed flashes in TC but was left to idle on the sidelines by Sperm. Don't get me wrong- I love having both of these guys on the team, and really hope that Stuckey's body holds up beyond TC this year.

#18 KOZ, Jun 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  19. nyjunc

Coles has had a better career than Plaxico. Plaxico was great last yera and has more physical tools but he doesn't always play hard like Coles. You don't have to be 6'4" to be a #1. he is a legit #1 WR, he's not in the class of the top #1's but he's a legit #1.

I think Brad Smith is going to break out this year, hopefully Stuckey can stay healthy and give us good depth. W/ the expected improved running game it will open up the passing game- the biggest question is can our QBs take advantage?

20. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

GOOD....

I've been a fan for a long time now - I've been a Darksider Jets fan a lot more than a Sunshiner in my years...

I'm more optomistic about THIS TEAM than maybe any other Jets team ever... From coaching to the roster...

I think the only question marks right now is QB and then depth and if this team stayed healthy and got above average QB play, anything can happen...

I look for a step forward and then next year to be a true contender from go.