We've got ourselves a center Trey Teague (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by beanball, Apr 12, 2006.

1. beanball

beanball New Member

2. USAFJETSFAN

USAFJETSFAN New Member

wow..so i presume Mangold might not be our choice at 29..Kendall back to guard..sweet..

3. Kipper88

Kipper88 New Member

Really pleased

I'm happy with this but it definately means we are not taking Mangold so posts I have just made are wrong.

It gives us loads of options in the draft at 29 and 35 though.

4. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

im loving the 2 year deals.. no cap breakers so we can bring the big time talant in. once the foundation is done being laid in about 2 years.

5. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

I thought word on the street was this guy wasn't so good?

6. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

Good to know. I dont like it when the team goes into the draft with holes that absolutely need to be addressed. Getting this guy means that at least we have a guy who can play the spot, so we dont need to reach for a center if there are better players available.

7. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

now all we need is pearson to kill the d brick talk.. this add's a vet with the two young guys we already got.

8. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Yep. Some hold down the fort guys while the team develops. Then when we're ready to bring in some higher profile guys, we'll have the space for it.

9. USAFJETSFAN

USAFJETSFAN New Member

The New York Jets, who last month released six-time Pro Bowl center Kevin Mawae for salary cap reasons, on Wednesday found his replacement, reaching agreement with unrestricted free agent Trey Teague on a two-year contract.

Teague

The durable Teague started at center for the Buffalo Bills in each of the past four seasons. His addition fills a huge void for the Jets, who did not have a proven center on the roster except for veteran Pete Kendall, a more natural guard who has started at the latter position for New York since 2004.

Contract details on Teague's two-year deal were not yet available. But landing Teague, who visited with Jets officials recently, is certainly a major step toward solidifying the line.

Teague, 31, is a tough interior blocker, a solid technician and a savvy player who can make all of the blocking calls for the revamped Jets line. Given his experience and ability, it was somewhat surprising that Buffalo did not try harder to retain him, but the Bills wanted to go younger at the position. Most observers felt Teague was the best remaining lineman in the much-diluted unrestricted pool.

In his four seasons with the Bills, the eight-year veteran missed only four starts, all in '04 when he suffered a strained left knee.

A former University of Tennessee star, Teague entered the league as a seventh-round choice of the Denver Broncos in the 1998 draft. He began his career as a left tackle, but injuries limited him to just 18 games and four starts in his first three seasons. Teague finally earned a spot in the lineup in 2001, starting all 16 games at left tackle, and then signed with the Bills as an unrestricted free agent in the spring of 2002.

Buffalo coaches were initially uncertain where Teague would play but moved him to center in mini-camps, and he became a fixture there. Because of his experience at tackle, Teague is regarded as one of the best pass-blocking centers in the league.

Teague has appeared in 94 games and started 80 of them

10. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

Hes nothing special... but you really dont need a special center to have a good line. He can play the position, and hes cheap, thats what most teams want out of a center.

Anyway, I dont think this means that we necessarily rule out taking a center, it just means that we dont have to.

11. IneedJesus

IneedJesus New Member

Pretty good sign at least depth wise.

I really dont know a whole lot about Teauge. I know that he played LT for the Broncos so hopefully that means that he has quick feet and he is atheltic. Hopefully he will be good in the running game.

12. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

plus we also have 2 young guys the jets a very high on... that gives us 3 centers i wouldnt completley rule out mangold but its very unlikely.

13. Tight

Tight Active Member

wow , Mikey T is on his Job.

14. GreenMachine

Looks like the Jets may shy away from OL in the draft... Mario at 4 and maybe Maroney at 29???

15. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Well now, another total surprise! Nice work Tangini!

Given that it's just a two year deal, and he is 31, I wouldn't say they aren't still looking at Mangold. Bring the kid in, let him learn the system, and give him the job in 2008/2009.

Mangold wouldn't be a bad choice at 29, but this also does give us the opportunity to look at RB at that spot.

16. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

they already have 2 young prospects for that.. i honestly dont see mangold at 29 no more.

17. SuppaMan

SuppaMan New Member

i like teague, and when someone mentioned rumor had it we were signing one of 3 veteran linemen, i had figured it was going to be teague

now we probably won't even draft a center, and if by some shock we do, it will be in round 5 (i think thats the last round we have a pick)

a first round of brick and carpenter would nice (or lawson if carpenter is gone)

i should also add teague is similar to to dan koppen in NE, not flashy guys, but they do their job, and are fairly smart guys

18. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

He fits the bill ...

This guy fit's the mold of the Free Agents we've signed this year. Young enough, Cheap, Could Start, Definite Depth ... Prevents the draft day reach.

Good P/U.

PS ... except Dyson who was signed to be the starter.

#18 Jets41815162342, Apr 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2005
  19. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

kassell.... and it looks chatman has been promised a chance to compete for a start but suppsoably he is our 2nd fastest lb so i wouldnt rule it out. Kimo is also gonna start.

20. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

only missed 4 starts in 4 years, sounds good to me