Westhoff's Comments today...interesting

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MarionBarber31, Oct 29, 2009.

1. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

Hope this hasn't already been posted (too many damn new threads! You post one day and the next it's buried three pages deep...but I digress)

Mike Westhoff had some interesting comments today, as reported by Cimini.

1. Thinks Justin Miller' style on KO returns may be better suited to the new wedge rules than Leon's.

2. Weatherford called the fake punt last week on his own, and nobody else on the field new he was going to do it...and Mike wasn't crazy about the risk he took.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/

#1 MarionBarber31, Oct 29, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  2. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

the man should be castrated for that then. He did it from our own 20 yard line, just nuts. granted since it was the raiders we got a lot out of it...

3. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

Blasphemy!!

4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I had a feeling that was Weatherford there. Westhoff was in his face immediately on the sideline. It also looked like everyone else was going down the field to cover the punt rather than to block for a fake. It was a very risky situation inside our own territory at that point in the game too. I didn't think the cane would admit that Weatherford did that on his own even if he did. I'm surprised.

5. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

I love how during the game Gumbel and Dierdoof mentioned about 8 times how Rex Ryan answered when asked if Weatherford was improvising when he does his fake punts. They said he answered: "Nooooooo..."

Looks like it was a "Noooooooo....shit, sherlock"

6. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I was one of the few people who said this from the beginning. He needs to STOP this shit immediately. He tries to do way to much, and a similar decision cost us the Buffalo game

7. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

That was a bad hold, not him calling for a fake on his own. He couldn't get the ball down so he ran a typical "fire" play rather than have Feely kicking at nothing. Most holders are coached to do this.

8. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

I assume you are talking about the botched hold in the Buffalo game?

I don't think that was the same thing. I think he bobbled the snap, panicked, and just threw it up in desperation. That was more of an instinct play than a "decision" like going for the fake vs. Oakland.

9. Jam.

Jam. Banned

Haha Weatherford is a badass, then.

10. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Yeah the botched FG was fine. We'd have given Buffalo the ball anyway, so might as well go for a 1st. He should have passed it to Feely, but whatever.

I can't believe he faked that punt on his own though. He's lucky he's still active.

11. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

But the thing that bugs me with the FG is that if you rewatch the play, the snap was fine. He actually handled the snap fine and should have been able to put it down.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

the snap was fine. The hold was blown. It happens.

Think Tony Romo.

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Its interesting to know that Westhoff believes that Miller will be better suited for the KR due to the new rules.

14. NYJetsMan7

NYJetsMan7 Member

Yes i saw that too ..and immediately thought he called it on his own ..noone would believe me! Ha to them.

15. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Hopefully Miller does do better than Leon because a spark with a KO return for a TD would be huge against Miami.

As for Weatherford doing what he did, yeah, he saw something and he took advantage. Good for him, it worked out. If it works out, Mike shouldn't be complaining.

16. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

That is one sick play by Weatherford. Ballsy as hell but you gotta give him credit - it worked. I love it. :up:

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

No play that pisses off Mike Westhoff is a good play.

18. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

Absolutely - I'm all about the fake punts from anywhere on the field. Keep em guessing.

Probably more effective than going for it on 4th down at this point.

19. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Hahaha, that's sig-worthy.

Honestly, you're right though. If a Raider reaches out a hand and grabs a lucky shoelace, no more "Best Fake Punt Ever" threads, two dozen "Cut Weatherford" threads.

Weatherford has done something special, though. Every team we play for the rest of the year needs to prepare for a running punter, regardless of whether he runs or not. One more thing for them to worry about.

20. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Is there any chance that this was something that Weatherford was coached to do if he saw the right situation on the field or did he just decide to do it on the spur of the moment?

If Westhoff was pissed then I would imagine that it was something that the coaches were not expecting, but I don't know if he was actually pissed or if that's just what some people here are assuming.