Welcome to the Jets Max Mitchell

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Snatch Catch, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Douglas lands tackle depth in the 4th, also has some projection - several pundits really like his potential.

2. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

I love this pick. All I wanted today was depth in the trenches. Mitchell seems like a great option or where our pick was.

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Don’t know much about him, but we really need a swing T capable of playing.

Welcome on!

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Some fans kept complaining that if JD knows so much about O-line, he should be able to pick some in later rounds instead of only using premium picks on them. Well, here ya go! :)

SOJAZ, Jojo, Borat and 2 others like this.
  5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The draft needed more Ragin Cagin. Welcome, and don't be surprised if you see a lot of action.

#5 ouchy, Apr 30, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    boozer32, Stevied9, Pepsiguy5 and 2 others like this.
  6. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Love the pick, this kid looks like a real tough blocker on tape.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

For real he will be a good backup option this year and potential to be a starter in future if other guys don’t work out love it!

8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I need experts comparing Mitchell to the guy Ravens took. I was eyeing him and didn't even know about Mitchell

9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Mitchell is a positional run-blocker with the foot speed to scoop and seal defenders in zone schemes. He lacks the lower-body strength to consistently drive defensive linemen off the ball. He's quick and shoots his hands in pass pro, but he has shorter arms for a tackle, and the competition level raises concerns. Texas was his only Power 5 opponent in 2021, and he struggled at the Senior Bowl. -- Steve Muench

Jojo, dawinner127, twown and 3 others like this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

One guy is 6'8" 384 lbs and one guy is 6'6" 301lbs. One guy fits the mold of a wide zone tackle and one doesn't.

Jojo, twown, Brook! and 5 others like this.
  11. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Like the pick. Would love to see him add one more OL in the late rounds. If history is any guide we can expect some injuries and can't have too much depth up front.

boozer32 likes this.
  12. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I've been watching some video and I'm pretty happy with this pick. In addition to being a team need maybe I'm just drinking the homer/draft excitment/highlight kool aid but it isn't a stretch for me to envision a scenerio where this guy might legitimately help the team. And with an over 100 pick that is really all your asking. When you combine that with team need not sure how much anybody can complain.

Looks like the innate skill is there but he could stand to get a little stronger. If he's really all in once the Jets pro staff gets working with him he will have more than adequate opportunity to reach his potential.

Brook!, Nyjets4eva, Poeman and 2 others like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Getting Mitchell turned this draft from an "A" to an "A+" for me. I. concerned that Becton won't be able to stay on the field (if he ever gets there), and was very disappointed JD didn't grab Eknowu for that reason despite him getting Sauce. But Mitchell seems like he could step in an initially at least hold the fort, and eventually grow into a pretty starter if my fears about Becton are realized..

Of course he's going to have to prove it on the field as they all do, but this is the type of pick that good GMs hit on.

14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Looks like he fits our scheme, so he could step in if needed and could become a starter in a year if Becton doesn't get his act together.

FJF, ColoradoContrails and Nyjets4eva like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Louisiana has been scooping up mauling type run blockers who couldn’t hack it in Power 5 for several years down there under Billy Napier. None of them have really succeeded in the NFL.

With that being said I asked for an OL and got one. I know very little about this particular kid.

twown likes this.
  16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

This is where you draft insurance for your former first round pick, not in the top 5. JD continues to show his skills at working the draft.

17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Well, I think it's a matter of perspective. Max had a chance solidify himself as a top tier prospect at SR Bowl, but didn't do it. According to this scout, he did get beat one on one sometimes (if he didn't he would be going first round like Trevor Penning), but was the best out of the second tier bunch. More importantly, Jets were actually there coaching at sr Bowl. This is where I would expect the advantage we had being selected to coach it to manifest itself. The guy played weaker FBS competition at RT and absolutely dominated it. A little bit LT, but mostly right.

This late in the draft no matter whom you take, it's going to be some sort of developmental project. But he did have a really good College career, top rated Tackle by PFF in FBS, 3d team AP all American, and the Jets liked him enough at sr Bowl. So, there is definitely a decent chance he can develop into a good player.

#18 Borat, May 1, 2022
    Last edited: May 1, 2022
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Interesting draft profile on Max: https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Max-Mitchell-OL-Louisiana

"After playing in limited action as a freshman Mitchell was handed a chance a start as a sophomore in 2019. He started all 14 games and surrendered just 2 sacks and 15 total pressures while playing on 807 snaps.
    Mitchell started in all 10 of his appearances during the 2020 season, playing at both tackle positions - and in doing so earned Second Team All-Sun Belt Conference honors. His numbers were impressive while playing on 636 snaps -- he allowed zero sacks and gave up only a single pressure, he however was flagged for 3 holding penalties.

In 2021 as a senior Mitchell started 14 games and played 879 total snaps at right tackle, he surrendered 3 sacks and 13 total pressures, and zero holding penalties. He was selected as an Associated Press All American, a 1st Team Pro Football Focus All American, and Walter Camp also honored Mitchell as an All-American (2nd team).

He has elite quickness, foot speed, well-developed quick hands, and has the technique you expect to see in a ten-year NFL veteran. He however is very lean and really needs to add 20lbs around his core to become a factor as a power run blocker and consistently handle bigger NFL rushers.

We see Mitchell as an ideal fit in a run-heavy zone-blocking scheme (49ers?) where his lack of ideal strength could be hidden and his exceptional quickness and talent as both a pass and run blocker could be fully utilized. We consider Mitchell to be a probable third-round prospect in the 2022 NFL Draft who could be taken higher if a font office falls in love with his very interesting skill set."

A lot of College accolades, improved every year, and majority of weaknesses stem from a need to add weight, which seems like easiest to fix. It sounds like based on everything I am reading and him being at Sr Bowl, which Jets coached, good scheme fit, that he may develop into a decent player for the Jets.

Mogriffjr, ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Just be sure to keep those statistics in perspective. They had just over 400 passing attempts in 2019, 300 in 2020 and 400 in 2021. Not to say they’re good or bad but putting his total snap count in a run heavy offense is awfully deceptive by that author.

Brook! likes this.