Welcome Joe Biden, the Most Popular President in the History of the United States

Discussion in 'Politics' started by GordonGecko, Jan 20, 2021.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Biden was not speaking to individual soldiers though

He was speaking at the US Air Force's top foreign refueling station. Their entire mission is energy efficiency

I realize a tweet can say 1000 things in 120 words. But if you can get beyond the emotional hyperbole that often comes with Twitter and realize that the President was essentially telling these men and women that their mission is an important one, it feels a little different.

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

3. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

I know that I try to do the best I can, and I don't presume to judge what others can do with their individual situations and understandings. I strongly believe, though, that everybody should be given or have access to the facts so that they can best make decisions for themselves and their families.

What I don't want is a person in authority like a president being given information (by the Joint Chiefs or anybody else) and then hiding those facts so that the ordinary citizen can't decide what he or she will do in facing reality. I hate that kind of manipulation. As far as I'm concerned, if Biden hides facts about climate change from U.S. citizens, and then we're hit with climate disasters that result in any loss of life that could have been avoidable, then Biden will deserve every bit of scorn heaped upon him. If we have to err, I have more tolerance for the practice of preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

I agree that there's only so much the individual citizen (including the individual soldier) can do about climate change. But, once armed with information, a person can decide what they want to do for their children and grandchildren, which may include small things like driving electric vehicles and larger things like pressing for societal changes, if needed.

#423 joelip, Jun 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If it was as grave of a threat as advertised, don't you think something would've been done a bit more drastically about this on a world level twenty years ago when the majority of this started with Al Gore.

Global cooling was a phenomenon in the 1970s-80s as well. Now we're on the opposite trajectory.

I'm not saying global warming is true or false. I really don't know and I don't think it'll ultimately affect most of us in our life times if it is true. But what I do know is that the human race has been pretty adaptable to making changes when they need to.

I don't think you can truly believe that the world is in grave danger and drive a gas powered vehicle. Sorry. If that's the case you're hypocritical because you're hurting the cause you're defending.

FJF likes this.
  5. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

7. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

8. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

perhaps we can all carry flash cards to remind us about the so called "climate change" threat.

9. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Acad, Thanks for posting the informative article. It's certainly true that the authoritarian bastards in China are talking out of both sides of their mouths: China Wants To Go Carbon-Neutral — And Won't Stop Burning Coal To Get There : NPR.

However, given that we don't know every little thing about climate change (or how much the Chinese authoritarian bastards will back up their words in the face of worldwide condemnation as the crap hits the fan in a few years, or how much the combined efforts of all the other countries will contribute, etc.), I'm not sure it's a "fool's errand" to do what we can to mitigate what will likely be an awful outcome around 2050. Given the uncertainty of most outcomes (nobody can really predict the future in detail), I've always believed in The Christophers motto, "It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."

Acad23 likes this.
  10. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Thanks for the article Acad!

11. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

12. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Gee, jilozzo, measurements by NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), among others, have determined that the climate has certainly changed. Climate Change: Global Temperature | NOAA Climate.gov

Also, according to the NASA site, various parts of the U.S. will be threatened in different ways if nothing is done:

"Northeast.
    Heat waves, heavy downpours and sea level rise pose growing challenges to many aspects of life in the Northeast. Infrastructure, agriculture, fisheries and ecosystems will be increasingly compromised. Many states and cities are beginning to incorporate climate change into their planning.

Northwest. Changes in the timing of streamflow reduce water supplies for competing demands. Sea level rise, erosion, inundation, risks to infrastructure and increasing ocean acidity pose major threats. Increasing wildfire, insect outbreaks and tree diseases are causing widespread tree die-off.

Southeast. Sea level rise poses widespread and continuing threats to the region’s economy and environment. Extreme heat will affect health, energy, agriculture and more. Decreased water availability will have economic and environmental impacts.

Midwest. Extreme heat, heavy downpours and flooding will affect infrastructure, health, agriculture, forestry, transportation, air and water quality, and more. Climate change will also exacerbate a range of risks to the Great Lakes.

Southwest. Increased heat, drought and insect outbreaks, all linked to climate change, have increased wildfires. Declining water supplies, reduced agricultural yields, health impacts in cities due to heat, and flooding and erosion in coastal areas are additional concerns."

So these data clearly seem to point to "climate change" plus "threat." What euphemism do you suggest we call this?

P.S. I don't think we need the flash cards.

13. BrowningNagle

they wouldn't believe the flash cards anyway

NYJetsO12 and papapump like this.
  14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Joey B. put on a pretty good show in Geneva... even with the flash cards.

15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

“Biggest loser today: the 17th most critical infrastructure entity in America.”
    -Some smart ass

16. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

Joe robbie staduim?

17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

so tell me......why do all states in the NE continue to build on the water.

18. BrowningNagle

He musta done a pretty good job at the summit with Putin since Acad aint posting any tweets about it

19. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

For the same reason the people in California continued to build million dollar houses on the crumbling cliffs only to see these houses crash down into the ocean years later.

We humans generally want what they want and we tend to make decisions in terms of short term comfort and excitement instead of long-term wisdom. But, hey, if you want to buy beachfront property in Florida, go right ahead! You might be able to enjoy it for a few years.

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

bicketybam likes this.