Week-3...STATE OF THE JETS

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Run_N_gun10, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Problems for the Jets:

1-Offense is just starting to jell & Jets have new O.C., RT, blocking TE, WR. All new parts, so this should only improve as season goes along. Add to this....a new RB{Grimes}. Jets have to get a RB or 2 next season.

2-Secondary, which was defenses strongest unit...has just lost Revis; so we'll see how that goes. Jets have to sign a vet, or that will be a weakness all season.

3-OLB position has to be addressed. No pass rush from this vital position....renders Jets impotent. Where is Maybin ? Maybin needs to start.
    Jets must go find an OLB. Maybe re-sign Jay Richardson. Will have to address thru F.A. and/or draft next season. Jets need 2 new OLB. Pace & Thomas have to be let go. McIntyre is not NFL starter quality, ok off bench.

4-NT/DL...Pouha gets pushed back, can't hold point-of-attack.{look at Miami game}. Kenrick Ellis has to play more, he can't be moved. Pouha is better at DE. Devito...he's very slow, very limited lateral movement. He needs his playing time reduced. Maybe he's better at NT? With Ellis at NT & Pouha & Wilkerson at DE...this is Jets strongest DL combo. On passing downs, bring in Coples for Pouha. Damon Harrison needs to get some reps at NT. He's a pretty strong an active player.

5-LB's...Jets LB core basically the same as last year, so this group is weak. Maybe if Damario Davis gets some action, he's the only new addition. Jets need to cutall the back-ups...they need to upgrade talent there with new blood. Bart Scott slow, but still better than all back-ups? Mauga, Bellore...cut em'. Pace...cut em'.

6-WR...Jets need to sign a vet WR. Chad Johnson would give Jets an offense a needed swag. Chaz Schillens...disappointment. Where's Plax ?

7-Jets need to improve there talent evaluation process. Not much good young talent on bench, bursting to get supplant a starter or give a boost to team. Thats G.M. situation....Tanny needs more/better help.
    Jets need some explosive playmakers on offense at skill positions.

Jets are drafting DL with top picks, but league is designed for OLB as top picks ???....Speed, speed, speed !!! Look at Giants. If it's passers, u need pass-rushers. If it's runners, u need run-stuffers. NFL is a passing league, Jets need pass rushers. Jets have no pass rushers. Coples better turn into a Richard Seymour type, or Jets are really behind the curve. Tanny is not an innovator, nor a football guy. Jets need alot of help. Jets are trying to follow the trail, instead of blazing a trail.

Now, addressing that point, if NFL is a passing league, why are Jets saying ground & pound ??? If NFL is a passing league, do the Jets have a top-notch passer or WR's ??? As Bart Scott said, did Jets get the memo...yet ???

2. Jetfan76

Jetfan76 Well-Known Member

Everything you mentioned is 100% the truth and do you remember the Jets last year at pick 16 pretty much had their pick of the litter with OLBs but went Coples instead!

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

There is no money to sign anybody. They are 20 million over the anticipated cap next year for the 37 players that are not free agents. Once they cut everybody else they can possibly cut so that they can fill out the roster there will be nothing left to sign anybody. I think they said Arizona has 17 rookies this year..we may have 20 next year.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary13.html

I am sure somebody will argue with this and I hope the numbers are wrong but I have yet to see anything that clearly disputes it.

4. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

same thread over and over and over again

5. Chrebet Fo' Ever

Pouha is only just coming back from a back injury, last year PFF had him graded as the best run-stuffing 3-4 NT tackle in the league so I'd say we should give him some more time.

6. laxin

laxin Active Member

How about you look at the site you posted?

http://www.nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/claytoncap.php

7. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

No to Plax and Ocho. And BE or TO is either are released.

Develop Hill, Kerley, Gates.

Keep Holmes and give Chaz more time. See what he can be before injury takes him away.

Stop bringing in 1 year rentals and develop your own WR core so they have chemistry with the god damned QB!

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The offense is not jelling at this point, maybe due to the fact that Keller is out and Hill is a rookie and there's just not much you can do with two small receivers in that situation.

Greene is not an acceptable #1 back at this point and the line isn't talented enough to help him get over the hump. Powell is less fragile (so far) and less line dependent and should be starting.

There's no reason to believe that the offense will be any better than what we've seen until Keller gets back on the field and the Greene-Powell issue is definitively addressed. Even then this offense is not going to be able to Ground and Pound.

The Jets hope this season on offense is that Keller/Holmes/Kerley can stay on the field and that Hill develops enough not to be a hole in the game plan. After that they need a couple of people who can take 450 carries and not fall down.

I think the Jets need to see what Kyle Wilson can do. If they really have no effective corners after Cromartie right now then the defense is going to have issues all season. There's no money to sign a veteran CB at this point. The Jets are saving up what little extra they have to cushion the blow next season, which is going to be much worse than what we had this year.

This is the weakest unit on the defense right now and just a bit ahead of the WR's in terms of capping the Jets chances. I think they should give McIntyre and Maybin a lot of time at ROLB and figure out if either of them have anything that helps a championship caliber team.

If not then they've gotta go find a ROLB for next season and that's going to be hard to do given the cap.

The DL is fine. The Jets just need to figure out effective configurations. The thing that is screwing up the run defense right now is the linebackers.

This is a next off-season issue. No money to start swapping LB's out right now. There is a pretty good argument though for putting Calvin Pace at DE and starting to look really hard at the young guys at OLB. Pace is gone next season anyway and the Jets need to figure out who they have to bring in to consolidate things when he goes.

There are no quick fixes here. What the Jets need to do is get Kerley on the field more often to help Sanchez out.

Yep. This is management failures playing out in front of us, compounded by weak coaching on the offensive side and I don't mean Tony Sparano.

#8 Br4d, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  9. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Seriously. It's getting so old with these constant new threads about the same things over and over as if they are new or interesting.

State of the Jets: 2-1 record, 2-0 in the division. First place. Nothing else matters.

#9 Barcs, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  10. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

yeah but did you know that Shonn Greene is slow?

11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Back before a whole bunch of prominent posters here tragically died in a big fire, you might even call it a giant block of shit that no one wants to read.

12. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

It's tough being 0-3...spare me

13. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I think we are all starting to see why Shone Greene is best suited as a change of pace #2 back. If he is paired with a more viable option (like a Benson, who signed for the VET MIN this year!) his value rises.
    This and the FACT the WFH was a total liability to the deep passing attack are facts.

*All teams have issues and week 3 is hardly enough the time to hit the panic button or anoint a champion. My problem is the FO's inability or ineptness to address these glaring situations until its too late...that is the consistent theme these past 2 years.

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Wait...wut?

They had one, count 'em...one, lousy touchdown against the mighty Miami defense...and it took them 57 minutes to get that done.

It's gonna be a brutal season to sit through I fear...

15. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

In all fairness they have...Hill,Kerley are young...Holmes is in his prime....the problem is finding that 4th guy, 5th guy....(Sometimes I think I'd rather see McKnight moved to 4th WR...where you can get him the ball iin open space)

16. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

the state of the posters would be much more interesting, i'm stoned and delusionally thinking the jets win in a laugher on sunday, i'll sober up in two hours and realize that it being a home game is the jets only true asset for this weekend against a very physical team. the steelers hit the snot out of the jets in week 2, and the 49ers will be throwing the "hot sauce" so to speak on the jets. i'm glad this game is this early in the season honestly and not in the last 4 weeks of it.

17. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Now....thats an interesting idea.

18. GRNYT

GRNYT Member

new jersey

19. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

I sure hope so! I'm just tired of Old Re-treads and Sticking with past their prime players. It would be nice to build a monster with staying power to have a long run maybe with some Championships-that's plural!

20. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

The Jets clearly have issues, but let's be real. Revis being out for a year changes the way the D practices, basically they will change scheme. If they don't, they can't win because a key part of the D is gone. That being said, creating a different scheme out of the D is going to be interesting, and not likely to really be visible this weekend. But looking ahead in the season, we may yet have a championship caliber D. Bart Scott will be forced out of even more snaps, because we need the faster players providing help to Wilson for more zone plays, and that may be a good thing. I think it will lead a shift to what may not be called a 4-3 base D, but is in fact basically that. Also, we must must must create a pass-rush that doesn't rely on receivers being locked down, So I think we will see more of Maybin as a speed rusher and Coples as the DE opposite, with Pouha and Wilkerson in the middle of the line. Here's hoping Demario Davis steps up, because he is exactly what we need, a fast hard hitting LB.

On O, the Jets can move in 2 ways, 3 if Powell and Grimes step up. First, they can try and move to a more Tebow heavy offense. I'm no Tim Tebow fan, but Let's be honest with ourselves that this is a possibility with the players we have. Greene may not be getting it done as a feature back, but with all the running plays Tebow and Powell would be taking up, Greene's hard hitting style might take its toll on opposing exhausted D's. Second, and what I think is the most likely myself, is that they will move towards a pass-happy offense, because with any luck, we will have the pieces to make that happen. All of our receivers have put up big games and big plays now, even Hill in week 1. A lot of plays with 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB may be in our future. You may not believe me about the passing game, but each player has done damage for us, Holmes may be inconsistent but when he's happy he's real damn good. He's quick, fast, a great route runner when he wants, and as acrobatic as they come. Hill is blazing fast and has a big body, and time will teach him how to use these attributes best against each D he faces through the season. Kerley is quick and has made big plays over the middle, Mark's favorite place to throw. Keller is a great receiving TE, and is also a great route runner, perfect for pulling D away from Holmes and Hill, or sneaking into the open space. We haven't had a receiving crew this good in the Ryan era. Powell being a better pass blocker than Greene only aids in this, combined with Wayne Hunter being out.

The last possibility is that Grimes and Powell are nasty, and really do give the Jets a chance to return to Ground and Pound.