Week 1 - Jets vs Raiders - FTW ( For the Win )

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ajitator, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

Trying a new thing here, Would like to start a weekly thread for what we need to see from certain players/groups to liken our chances for taking home a W each week.

So lets have it what will it take and from who for the Jets to pull out a victory this week?

Offense:
    Chris Johnson/RB committe - We need to run the ball well to keep the offense moving without asking Geno to do to much to early.

Amaro - With Cumberland likely to be limited if he goes at all it will be crucial for him to pick up where he left off this preseason.

Geno - NO TURNOVERS!

Defense:
    Wilk/Sheldon/Harrison - We need to shut down the run early and get them in 3rd and long situations.

Coples, Babin - Pin the ears, Sack the rookie. Welcome to the NFL, Carr.

Secondary - Keep the ball in front of you. No big plays( a la Victor Cruz ) and I'll be happy. We know this unit is going to take some time to gel, hopefully this is a good start.

If we don't give up big plays, and can win the time of possession battle I think we can pull a W @ home pretty easily. I think our defense has enough to stop the raiders offense and we just need to put up a couple scores to put this out of reach.

Carr in his first game, Flying across the country into NYC, must have Rex and his defense salivating.

Prediction: 21-10 NYJets

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

The offense to be efficient and execute. The run game to dominate, the oline to give Geno some time and create lanes in the run game.

The defense especially the d line to get pressure.

3. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

What are the raiders strengths? Offensively and defensively.

4. Ajitator

Good RBs, Good D-line, Speedy WRs.

5. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I don't think the Raiders are going to be able to put together long and methodical drives. The only way they can hurt us is with huge chunk plays with deep balls, which is a problem because they've got a couple really fast wide-outs that I don't think Walls/Allen can keep up with. The key is that the pass rush gets to Carr before he can hit the deep shots. Otherwise we could get burned. I'm not really concerned with anything else (their defense, our ability to stop their run, or Carr picking us apart)

6. Ajitator

I agree for the most part. However, While healthy MJD / DMC is a solid 1,2 punch if they can get both guys rolling. I think it starts with forcing Carr to make plays by shutting those two down.

7. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

1) dont turn it over

2) dont turn it over

3) stop oaklands offense on 3rd down; limit them to FGs

4) dont turn it over

prediction: Raiders 16-6

8. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

On defense, It's up to our big guys up front to create pressure from 3-4 man rushes. We will need to drop back on most plays to support the secondary. If the 'sons' can collapse the pocket with limited help from the backers like they did vs the giants in the preseason we should be ok.

On Offense, it's once again all about helping our suspect secondary. We need long methodical drives to keep our D off the field and fresh. No turn overs and no giving away good field position.... And scoring some damn touchdowns would be appreciated !!;)

9. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Offense - Score more points than Raiders.

Defense - Prevent Raiders from scoring more points than Jets.

10. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Score more points then the other team /thread

11. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Why do we have multiple threads talking about the Raiders game? There should be one thread a week to discuss the team that we are playing the upcoming week..

They need to let me Mod this place.

12. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

isn't our formula gonna be the same every week? I there gonna be a week where we don't need CJ to run the ball well? Is there gonna be a week where we don't care if Geno turns the ball over? is there gonna be a week where we wont need sacks from babin and coples?

13. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

The weeks that they don't but the rest of the team picks up the slack.

14. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

This isn't a thread about the Raider game.

It's a thread about how to WIN the Raider game.

Slightly nuanced and therefore the OP felt it warranted it's own thread.

If this is a smashing success, expect to see a weekly segment.

_

74 likes this.
  15. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

The front 7 needs to pressure the rookie into some early mistakes. Geno needs to build upon his good preseason, don't turn the ball over.

I expect to see a good dose of the CJ/Ivory tandem in this game.

Jets win 24-10

16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Nice analysis.

Been saying the same thing since May. Geno helps keep the D off the field. Time of possession IMO is everything in a football game. When you think about it even with a better QB than Carr we can win ALL our tough games this way.

Like your predicted score but 21-17 if we have unfortunate 4th quarter collapse.

17. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Their strength is the Jets weakness. Speedy receivers and plenty of space to operate is a dangerous combination. The DL may well stop the run but teams have thrived by hitting big 3rd down plays against the Jets D to keep drives alive. 3rd and short doesn't bother me as much as 3rd and long. If they keep playing D 10 yds off the ball on 3rd and 6 etc. the Raiders WILL eat up chunks of yards and keep the D on the field like last year. Carr may be a rookie but he's more advanced than most rookies with him having his brother helping him read defenses. The guy threw 113 TD's and only 24 INT's the last 3 years. I think Carr could wind up being lot better than most think. I want to see Rex solve their issues getting off the field on 3rd down more than QB sacks.

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I actually think this game is a great test for the Jets, as the Raiders, rookie QB or not, can pose a really problem with their speed on offense and ability to stretch the field. It will tell us plenty as to the capabilities of our D against the pass. That's just me, but regardless of the results I can already see the darksiders coming out in force after this one.

As we enter the first full weekend of NFL football, some Jet skeptics and most of the media, probably correctly, have already expressed concerns as to how poorly we match up against them and how dangerous the Raiders offense can be on Sunday, particularly against our "so called" patched up secondary.

True, true, but I'm willing to bet that depending on the outcome, all that talk about a dangerous opponent will be forgotten and it will be depicted with a totally different spin.

1- If we win, then the Raiders really suck so this win is no big deal and expected
    2- If we loose, then we really suck and got beat by a nothing team, so this season is going in the toilet

IMHO for us Jet fans a win Sunday is significant and the first step towards a potential playoff run, while a loss, albeit disappointing will ground us and our expectations for the 2014 season.

The time to find out is near. Go Jets

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Week 11.

jonnyd likes this.