We should trade up

Discussion in 'Draft' started by J_P_5, Feb 13, 2014.

1. J_P_5

J_P_5 Member

for the most explosive player in the draft Sammy Watkins a home grown HOFamer in the making....

#1 J_P_5, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  2. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

No, we shouldn't.

3. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Sure we could, but at what cost? The draft is deep and we need the picks to fill other needs.

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1 and 5 or 6 or 7 for Sammy Watkins is good. Anything more is beyond stupid.

5. J_P_5

J_P_5 Member

A 1st, 3rd this year and 2nd next year would be value to move up to 4th we have 12 pics and with the job Mr. Idzik done in last years draft we could still walk away loaded with a good draft class plus the cap space and depth we could build with possible FA cuts would be great......

#5 J_P_5, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  6. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Madden like no? Remember the Julio trade I think that set the bar LOL

7. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

Ive given up on Watkins. I would love to have him but the price to get him is just too much. I wouldnt mind moving up a few spots for Evans though

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

It's not Madden like. Nobody will take that deal. This means trading up is for SUCKERS.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Why would you give up the quality prospects that the 3rd this year and the 2nd next year represent just so you can cherry-pick the top WR prospect in a draft full of quality WR prospects?

What's the point of consolidating value in one player who may well be injured or ineffective when you could have 3 quality prospects instead?

It just makes no sense to do that.

10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

That trade value does not even get you to 11th on the chart, try again.

This years first and second, as well as next years first would land you #4 and thier 5th this year in value.

No way in hell I would make that type of deal.

11. Br4d

I wouldn't make the other one either. The Jets could easily get quality WR prospects on the 18 and 80 and another one on their 2nd next year. Give me three good prospects over one great one, and Watkins isn't even a particularly great prospect he's just the best prospect this year.

12. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Stock piling late round picks is huge in the NFL.

The more picks in rounds 3-4-5-6 you have, the more likely you are to snag Richard Sherman/Kam Chancellor. Having elite players for low cap numbers is huge in the NFL. Seeing as how Idzik came from Seattle, I think that will be his strategy as well.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No we shouldn't. We aren't just one player away from being a true contender, and Watkins may not even turn out to be the best WR in this draft. The Jets have too many holes to even consider trading up. There's only one player the Jets should even entertain the idea of trading up for, and that's Teddy Bridgewater, and that only if they're convinced that Geno isn't going to develop into a quality starter and/or franchise QB and because of the importance of the QB position. Trading up for a WR in what may be the deepest and best WR class is draft history would be the stupidest possible move they could make aside perhaps from trading Wilkerson or Richardson.

You obviously have no idea how an NFL roster is built or what kind of shape the Jets' roster is in. Have you not been paying attention? The Jets have little depth and holes all over the roster because of that moron Tanny and his constant trading up. The Jets need more picks, not less.

14. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

The Jets need...

1. A star receiver
    2. A #2 WR
    3. A starting tight end
    4. A starting OLB
    5. A safety or 2
    6. An offensive guard
    7. A cornerback
    8. Another tight end

Not to mention a quarterback, too...

Let's not trade up, unless we could get away with it just with our 1 and a 3rd. Not giving up a penny more for Watkins or anyone else.

15. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Can't really add more than what's in these two posts. Although Watkins is as close to bust-proof as a prospect can be, our Jets aren't in any position to trade picks to get this WR (or any other non-QB player for that matter).

16. Br4d

I don't think anybody is particularly bust-proof in this draft. Not a single player. Maybe the two OT's come the closest.

I see Watkins and Lee as the most likely to be productive among the WR's with Evans close behind them. I see a cloud of about a half dozen receivers after that who look like they will be productive NFL WR's although it is not clear if they have what it takes to be a #1.

17. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Trading up is never as bad of a proposition as some think. If the Jets think that Sammy Watkins can be Julio Jones I would be all for it

18. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

watkins has supposedly run a sub 4.3 forty so he's gunning for chris johnson's record

with that being said (and i love watkins), there is absolutely no reason to trade up. the depth in this draft is INSANE. i'm starting to come to the unfortunate conclusion that we won't be able to get eric ebron though, which makes me sad

19. Br4d

Because that worked out so well for the 4-12 Falcons last year. A team that has their franchise QB and watched that mean next to nothing when the guy they traded up for dropped out with an injury that threatens his career.

Right.

20. Trading up is what got the Jets in trouble to begin with. At the end of the day the draft is nothing more than a crapshoot.That said # of draft picks & good scouting DO matter.

You're giving yourself more chances to develop young(and CHEAP) talent. Over time this builds depth. Quality depth.