We should not trade back...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by chandler, Mar 25, 2019.

1. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I have changed my mind on this point. Earlier on, I thought we have so many holes, we should trade back

However, after FA, I have changed my mind. I was reminded just how hard it is to get elite talent especially an edge rusher. On top of that we certainly have not demonstrated the drafting acumen to find those guys in the mid first round, second or later so if we don't draft this year we might realistically be looking at a future with mediocre edge talent. We need more impact players on rookie deals -- not more mediocrity who we're looking to cut in 2-3 years anyway (i.e., Mac's typical draftee)

There will be opportunities for roster-filling as a result of the draft. Not only will we have our picks but all those teams that are loaded with picks will end up having roster castoffs as a result -- e.g., training camp cuts etc.

We need to keep in mind too that in the latter case we'll have a much better picture of who we're getting as many of those castoffs will have NFL experience. Macc's ability to look at college talent and identify who will play well in the NFL is highly suspect -- getting camp castoffs should be easier for him one would think

westiedog1 and tomdeb like this.
  2. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

You sit tight and see what happens and who falls to you. If your guy is there you take him not the picks

boozer32 likes this.
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

You may very well get your wish..unless the Giants are serious about Haskins I don't see many trade partners on the horizon

4. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I still think we should trade back in any case, but if we can't/won't this is what I would do:

1. Draft Bosa/Allen at pick 3.
    2. Package Lee and one of our 3rd rounders trade up into the late 2nd to grab a center.
    3. Use rounds 3-7 to draft at least one or more of the following WR, CB, RB, OL.

If we do that then we effectively covered our holes with the few picks we have. I still like trading down because I think 2020 will also be a good draft and Miami is loading up on picks. If we are building for the long term, I think we need 8+ picks in that draft and trading down will allow us to do that.

ColoradoContrails and themorey like this.
  5. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I like your points......

Don't worry about Miami they are run worse than the Jets....they'll screw it up somehow.

boozer32 likes this.
  6. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I agree. Miami is a really poorly run team, but it couldn’t hurt to build up in 2020 as I think that will be our year we make it back to the playoffs.

7. mrjet80

Oh definitely. In fact by 2020 the Jets should just about be a finished product as far as contending for a championship goes.......I can see them competing this year for a WC if the draft goes reasonably well.

8. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

You don't get a #3 overall pick very often. This type of pick can directly change the direction of a franchise, especially at an impact position like edge rusher. I think they should only trade back, if it is a king's ransom.

westiedog1, mrjet80 and chandler like this.
  9. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I agree that you don’t get #3 very often and can change the pick, and the Jets could very well not have a top 10-15 pick for several years, however with no 2nd and 4th rd picks and with many holes to fill, imo the Jets need more help. With our recent history with Mac and his picks , I am not so sure the Jets could pull off 3 impact players with their current first three picks. Of course luck may change and be on our side and still draft a solid OL and WR with their 3rd picks. Regardless what we do, I would like for once have a very successful draft!

NCJetsfan and Sam Hammer like this.
  10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I'm ok with trading back. Other than MAYBE Bosa, there are no 'generational, once in a decade' type players in this draft. The QBs seem avg. Allen is really good, but not top of the draft great. And the draft is deep with a lot of really good players.

Don't fixate on one guy.

Get 3 or 4 really good guys. They're all needed.

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It’s a win win for the Jets at this point, they have stability at the QB position for the next 3 years, possibly longer.

If the opportunity to trade back is there and they can drop down a couple of spots, pick up a 2nd this year and a second next year I would do it.

However, if no one wants to pay the premium, then you pick a premium player with the 3rd pick.

Either way Jets are going to come out of this with an immediate impact player.

NCJetsfan and CotcheryFan like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Well, let's HOPE that is the case. With Mac making the pick, all bets are off. He's been very lucky so far with his 1st round picks. How Jet like would it be for this to be the year that he totally misses on his first round pick?

tomdeb and Red Menace like this.
  13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I’m not sold on Mac, but I believe this experienced CS will do a better job of guiding Mac with assessing the right players for this team.

boozer32, NCJetsfan and CotcheryFan like this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

That might very well be the case. However, we must keep in mind if we stay at three, that there is a pretty good chance the selection will be Q Williams, even with Allen on the board. That will absolutely freak out over 50% of this board.
    I still prefer to trade down if possible, especially with the Giants and fill two big holes with the help and guidance from this coaching staff. And we could still have a pretty damned good pass rusher with the 6th pick.

15. mrjet80

You are correct - getting a blue chip player at #3 can change the direction of a franchise BUT on the other hand so can trading down if it is for a King’s ransom such as multiple second round picks or a first round pick next year just for sliding down several spots.

Considering the Jets have been looking for a dominating EDGE player I would be fine if they stay put and get Bosa or Allen...

FJF, Sam Hammer and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

My concern with trading back, is Macc might get this season's version of Lee, Stewart etc. He has been horrible. The chance of a major screw up at 3 is a lot lower than him flubbing a pick further down to end up with mediocre or worse

tomdeb and mrjet80 like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It is a difficult decision. I understand the arguments and merits for trading back.

However, IF you think Darnold is the real deal, that means that you think the Jets won’t be picking 3rd overall again for a long time. It is proven that elite talent exists at the top of the draft. So this may be the last time you have to acquire an elite talent for cheap in Darnold’s tenure.

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You're right, he very well could screw up. Wouldn't you rather that happen and have Chris Johnson finally realize that Mac isn't the right man for our GM and fire him, than keep propping him up in a job for which he isn't competent? We can't build a winner with only 1st round picks that fall to us and FA, with a couple of trades thrown in. If he cannot find talent in the 2nd & 3rd rounds, the middle (4th-5th) and lower rounds (6th-7th), then he isn't competent to be a GM in the NFL. The longer he stays employed as our GM, the longer it will take to build a winner, and the more years of Sam's and Adams' careers that will be "wasted."

What's best for the Jets is if Mac has learned or Gase/Williams have power in the draft and will guide him to the right players. Failing that, as much as it would hurt this year and for the next several years, the 2nd best thing would be for Mac to completely screw the pooch in the draft this year, be fired, and then hopefully a competent GM will be hired and going forth, we start getting talented players from every round of the draft. (I'm not saying that the new GM will hit on every pick in every round every year, just that he'll hopefully have the ability to find talent in every round, and will be an above average GM and hit on most of his picks.) The team cannot afford (nor do I want to see) any more drafts where Mac lucks into the BPA in the first round and then missed on 95% (or whatever it is) of the rest of his picks.

tomdeb likes this.