We saw this coming...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

http://nypost.com/2017/01/12/jets-doing-their-best-to-scare-away-chan-gailey-replacements/

Well like the title says, we all saw this situation coming long before this article came out. Looks like the Jets have just about hit rock bottom as a place anyone wants to come.

Think after 2017, the Flying Dutchman will need a Captain ??? My God, how in the hell did we wind up here..

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I know I'll probably be ragged on for saying this but I believe Bowles and Mac can build a good team if given the time. Some coaches need time to work through some of their own issues and grow into the HC position, not every HC comes in and kicks ass from the get go. I think Bowles will learn from last season, Mac I think will help by getting Bowles the right pieces in place.

Of course there is really not much to base my thoughts on but we'll get an idea if they are going to do what needs to be done by cleaning house in the off season. The team actually needs to give the coach and GM time to implement all their changes, if it doesn't work out the team will be lined up for a good draft pick next off season when I believe there are better choices at QB.

Edit: Just want to add, if they pick Studesville as the OC, I retract the above statement.
    Edit II: Six teams including two AFC East teams have been checking out my daughters boyfriend on OL, the Jets are not one of them so my confidence in Mac has gone down.

#2 The Waterboy, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  3. JetUp325

JetUp325 Member

This is tail end of years of ineptitude drafting and developing players. While Mac and Bowles are both not blameless, we all should have saw this coming once the drafts of 2010-2014 (looking through the lens that it takes a solid 3 years to really make a judgement on an NFL draft) gave us a total of five impact players: Wilkerson, Powell, Sheldon, Winters and Q. Looking even deeper, those drafts only represent 9 players still with our team, with Sheldon, Winters Geno & Pryor's Jet careers hanging on by threads. 2017 looks bleak, but a trial like this was well needed to show our simplistic owner a competitive rebuild such as two off-seasons ago, only provide false hope and unattainable goals.

We need to get back to what works. The 2009 and 2010 years were spurned by timely signings and great picks in the 2006 & 2007 drafts, namely cornerstones Brick and Mangold on offense and Revis and Harris on defense. Those teams were very similar to two of the past three Super Bowl Champions, a ball control offense, with a QB who correctly manages his spots, and a shutdown defense. Easier said than done, but failing on multiple years of drafting in a row and losing this mentality is what got us here today.

LarryAlRalph and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

"There have been no reports or indications that any candidates have turned down an interview. ..."
    But the reporter is going to go ahead and try to paint that picture anyway because he knows how to get clicks.
    Coordinators get 2 year contracts, Bowles having 2 years left means little.the writer bringing up McCoy when he had no idea if McCoy was even an interest to the team is just him using the most experienced oc as a trigger to get fans more riled up.

Greensleeves, Wah, NYJFOREVER and 2 others like this.
  5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Who is the OL?

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

How many years has Bowles been in the NFL? If he doesn't have a feel for the game at this point, and that is his biggest weakness -- not knowing when to go for it, punt, call timeouts, etc, one more year ain't going to provide it.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Bowles has spent his entire life on Defense. It has always been 'the other guys' who made those decisions, Bowles as a player just reacted to them.

Now that he's in the directors chair and has to make those tough split second decisions it's not so easy. Even the guys in the booth sometime argue over what to do in certain spots, and there's ZERO pressure on those guys.

Anyway Bowles being a defensive guy will always struggle with making the right Offensive call.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

No coach with any self respect or a brain wants this job. I don't blame them either, but it is still disheartening with all things considered.

NYJetsO12 and Jeremy2020 like this.
  9. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I think this gets overblown.

Translating my career into football terms: I would never have allowed my team to even practice a 2-point conversion or defense of a 4th-and-1 until I was 100% certain that every player would perform exactly as expected on a 1st-and-10 run or defending a 3rd-and-10.

Even as a fan, I had no faith in the player's execution of basic tasks, and I'm sure the coaches all saw worse mistakes than we saw. Why would you ask them to try a play with no room for error when they can't complete the simple plays?

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

This is such a weak excuse when you consider that the majority of knowledgeable fans could have made better decisions as a whole than Bowles did this season in this area

Being around the game of football for so long he should have much better instincts

The problem is he so conservative and old school by nature that when situations get tough he will revert back to hiding in his shell...this likely wil not change

See the Pittsburgh game...punting on 4th and 2 from mid field and down 2 scores with 5 minutes left

Who on Earth thinks that could ever be a good decision? If that's not a red flag I don't know what is

11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Except for the fact that it began in game 1 when the offense was playing well and they weren't stopping Forte.

Even if it was a question of faith, what had the defense shown that he should have had faith in them to make a stop as opposed to the offense being able to convert?

Beyond that, regardless of faith, if you need to score, the offense has to convert. If you defer it to the defense, and they happen to make the stop, you are right back where you started -- you need the offense to make plays.

Bowles had no clue when it was time that you had to have the offense make the play. Your rationalization simply doesn't align with the events in the season that dispute it. It began in game 1 when he didn't yet have a reason not to have faith in them.

jgjet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Although the offensive play calling was a problem at times, Gailey being forced to retire will probably bite Bowles in the ass this upcoming season. Gailey had a record of developing QB's or making unskilled QB's look good. Now that Bowles is coaching for his job this season, there is no legitimate OC candidate that will want to come to NYJ given the job insecurity and perhaps QB insecurity.

If the next OC comes in a does a good job, I will be personally surprised and I hope that I'm proven wrong.

Also, its not like I don't think we could do better than Gailey, I just think that firing him was probably not the best move given Bowles' situation.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. Red Menace

I think it was a matter of self preservation, he probably told Woody that he would make changes to the staff, but it was in order to keep his job.

What it shows is that he did not hire a good CS to begin with, its HC 101, hire an experienced group of guys that have had success.

That's why guys like Wisenhunt, Mcoy, Mike Smith, Greg Williams, Romeo Cronell, Wade Phillips always land on their feet, they are good at being coordinators and are always sought after.

Who did TB bring in?

NYJetsO12, grkmanga31 and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I might be rationalizing, I'll give you that. I'm human.

I will say that looking back at that Bengals game week 1, I really thought that both the Jets and the Bengals were going to be contenders this year. It turns out we had two closely matched bad teams on the field that day. So while the Jets were having success, it doesn't necessarily mean the players were actually executing their assignments properly--the Bengals were bad enough to mask their execution.

I don't think the coaches had any faith in the offense, defense, or special teams this year. If you have almost no hope that your offense can convert, and almost no hope that your defense can stop the opponent, what difference does it make which one you choose? Other than the chance to upset armchair coaches? Ultimately, the odds of stopping a drive are higher than the odds of having a single successful play to convert, if your offense and defense are both pretty bad.

For some reason, I just think Bowles is better than what we've seen. I could be very wrong, I don't know.

Other guys on here think Geno Smith is better than what we've seen. Or Winters, or Richardson, or Devin Smith, or Powell, or Fitz, or Marshall.

Like I said, I could be rationalizing. I see what everyone is mad about, but I also see the ridiculous personality issues and behavioral issues out of this roster. It's very possible that bad coaching is allowing the roster to fall apart. My suspicion remains that Rex Ryan let this locker room and the personalities therein get out of control, and while they had a positive reaction to a little bit more discipline last year, but they have tired of not having their way, and kicked back this year. The coach is ultimately responsible for both the calls on the field and the conduct of the roster. If Bowles is going to live up to my expectations, he has to have both issues corrected before the first game of next season.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It would be a wise move to extend both Mac and Bowles by a couple of seasons at this point. It would solidify their grasp on their jobs in the popular perception and if the Jets had to cut and run in a couple of years, well management contracts get eaten all the time in this business.

This is the NY media market. If the perception that Bowles and Mac are on thin ice is out there it will get grabbed by the media as a whole and it will turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy. The media ran John Idzik and Rex out of town on a rail because the perception that they were in trouble was allowed to fester for an entire season after they had gone 8-8 in a rebuilding year with a rookie QB and not a very good one at that.

16. Red Menace

[​IMG]

They will have plenty of opportunity to show Woody that they deserve to be extended.

Mac has this off season and the draft, and TB will have all of 16 games next year to show that they should be trusted.

Heck if they end up 9-7 and they have a developing roster of good young players I'll be the first one to say sign them up for another two years.

Not a move I would make right now.

17. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

You don't reward a shitty job.

Ralebird, NYJetsO12 and SonofDinger like this.
  18. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Agreed, there's a belief among many that HC's are only as good as their staff. Bowles hired a staff that has been at best inconsistent, no surprise that Bowles is failing at his job now.

Red Menace likes this.
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Then the Jets will wind up settling for an OC who is not qualified, because no good OC will join this team right now without a QB on the roster and with the HC and GM on the rocks.

The media will have a field day all year next year with the situation, because the Jets aren't going to win very many games and they wouldn't win many if they had Vince Lombardi coaching given the aging talent situation on the team right now.

It'll be 2014 all over again, complete with banner-toting airplanes and billboards and fans with paper bags over their head.

It would be better if the franchise had a feel of stability through 2018 come what may in 2017. That's a path that might lead to something more than same old Jets.

PhillyJet52 likes this.
  20. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Perhaps we may be forced to look at another pool of candidates, ones who may be looking to prove themselves. An up and coming positional coach who's hungry with a pinch of desperate and a dash of crazy.