We Are Penn St.!

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by Pam, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

Paterno on Penn State: 'We're Lousy'

Posted Aug 14, 2009 2:47PM By Jim Henry (RSS feed)

Filed Under: Penn State, Big 10, Coaching
    http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2009/08/14/paterno-on-penn-state-were-lousy/
    Chess or checkers?

The way Joe Paterno figures it -- and he has figured plenty as Penn State's 82-year-old coaching icon, not to mention the winningest coach in D-I history with 383 wins -- football is more like chess than checkers.

"In checkers, everybody does the same thing. In chess, different people can make different moves, have a different impact on the game," Paterno pointed out Thursday during Penn State's media day.

Suntanned, refreshed and seemingly more fit than he has been in recent years, Paterno always seems to leave himself with his own style of move. He readily admits that his Nittany Lions will need leadership, production and some good luck across the board to have an impact nationally this season.

Plus, you can't fool that JoePa.

Paterno explained that specific questions about specific positions on his team are OK. However, he further explained that the most difficult aspect of coaching is to make all these moving parts work together. That's why Paterno says August is way too early to start worrying about what's going to happen in September.

Paterno realizes that Penn State is ranked eighth in the preseason USA Today Coaches' Poll primarily because of last season's 11-2 sprint to a Big Ten Conference co-championship and appearance in the Rose Bowl. That's why nothing about his team excites him this very second as it prepares for its season opener Sept. 5 against Akron.

"I'll be honest with you: We're lousy," Paterno said. "I have nothing to be excited about right now."

Pardon Gloomy Gus. Penn State actually has legitimate BCS hopes after winning two Big Ten titles in the last four seasons.

The Nittany Lions boast more national award candidates than any Big Ten team -- quarterback Daryll Clark, running back Evan Royster, center Stefen Wisniewski, tackle Jared Odrick, linebacker Sean Lee -- but their ability to reload at several spots (offensive line, wide receiver, defensive backfield) will be tested.

"I am concerned with everything," Paterno said.

"If you said the biggest ones, obviously I think the offensive line. We've got to find a couple kids that can play. The wideout situation and offensive line I think, is better than you project it would be at this time. I think we have some people who have played that we can play with. I think we need another defensive back, maybe two."

Overall, Paterno welcomes 37 returning letter-winners and 10 starters for his 44th season as head coach and 60th year on the Penn State coaching staff. It goes without saying the Nittany Lions remain the class of the Big Ten, along with Ohio State. They have earned one of the nation's top ten records since the start of the 2005 season, posting a 40-11 (.784) mark, good for No. 9 nationally.

That's all window dressing to JoePa, however. He knows injuries, mistakes or poor decisions can lead to havoc in a hurry this season. And most believe the Nittany Lions will need to get into November unscathed to make a national statement. Their soft schedule will hurt them unless they run the table.

"I don't know exactly what we're going to do until I find out what kind of team I got," Paterno said. "And I won't know that until two weeks from now."

Penn State certainly knows what it has at quarterback, though. As the second-year starting quarterback and co-captain, Clark is the center of the Penn State offense and he has embraced his leadership role.

"I'm very confident in what we have," said Clark, a senior who passed for 2,592 yards and 19 touchdowns, and rushed for 10 touchdowns.

"We have a lot of question marks about us being inexperienced, but the only way you play out of inexperience is actually practicing and going through all the games. There are a lot of positions up in the air and that will only bring out the best in every player. Camp has been going very well. Pieces will finally be brought together. We'll be ready come Sept 5."

Of course, will the Big Ten be ready this season to change is national perception?

The league did absolutely nothing to improve its rep last season. Heading into 2009, the numbers are irrefutable -- six straight BCS bowl losses, six straight Rose Bowl losses, a 1-6 bowl record last year -- and Big Ten coaches know the time for talk is over.

If there's a positive, the league's midsection could be improved. Iowa, Michigan State and Northwestern all return strong defenses from teams that won nine games in 2008, and Illinois boasts arguably the league's most electric offense.

When all is said and done though, the Big Ten title should come down to Penn State and Ohio State once again.

The Nittany Lions will open with their usual pudding schedule (Akron, Syracuse, Temple) leading into Big Ten play. The back end of the schedule isn't so easy, as they host Ohio State and at Michigan State in two of the final three weeks.

By that time, Paterno -- just like a chessmaster -- should have his pieces and moves in place. Plus, he says he'll be on the field for every practice and every game this season.

"I didn't miss a practice in the spring. Didn't use a motor cart," said Paterno, who had hip replacement surgery last November.

"The only difference is that we're doing a lot of teaching, so we're on the practice field longer. We may be out there two-and-a-half hours. Ordinarily, once we get closer to a game, I don't like to be on the field longer than two hours. When I come off that practice field, I'm tired. My legs are tired. I didn't do as much walking as I should have this summer.

"But I'm fine."

2. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Gloomy Gus is in the howse :smile:

3. Pam

Smart ass. :rofl:

JoePa is usually a little more optimistic during preseason.

4. gustoonarmy

You know what, the older I get the more I am starting to trust my gut instincts, maybe Joe has the same vibe which coupled with his expertise make s him a legend.

5. Pam

That or he is trying to piss off/motivate his players. He is famous for doing that. :)

6. gustoonarmy

easy to do when you have a leather poker face :wink:

7. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

I can't wait until the Akron game today. Way to really test those new players.

8. Pam

Clark is rusty as hell. 24-0 PSU almost half time.

9. Pam

31-0. Half time. Clark finally had a decent pass.

10. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

#7 in the new AP Poll

11. matt robinson 17

12. matt robinson 17

Paul Pozluszny broke his arm again, he had 6 tackles in the 1st qtr before the injury...too bad!

13. Pam

I know. I want to root for any PSU alumni but it's really hard when they are on a team in my division. But I loved Puzluszny @ PSU.

2-0 baby! Woot! :grin: I think JoePa was yanking our chains with the "we're lousy" crap, lol

14. matt robinson 17

Kick the crap out of Iowa in 2 weeks...

15. matt robinson 17

16. Pam

Yea baby! Next up, Iowa. :metal:

17. matt robinson 17

Lee and Bowman questionable...not good...

18. Pam

I know. :sad:

I'm disappointed Lee is so injury prone. Too bad cuz healthy he would go pretty high in the draft.

That stadium is going to be rocking thou! I hoping for another white out. :)

19. matt robinson 17

They're telling everyone to wear white, it's an amazing site 110,000 people all in white. Sean Lee, I believe is even better than Paul Pozluszny...

20. Pam

I think so too. Check this out: :)