Way too early 2023 Mock

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WoodyHarrelson, Oct 13, 2022.

1. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

For all the draft junkies, it’s nice to sit here in a 3-2 record with a lot of football left, even playoff potential. Look, who knows where we end up but I do think reality will set in and I’d expect a pick in that 14-24 range. How we end up, who knows?

Round 1- Trenton Simpson. LB Clemson. Really think our LB is a weakness. Quincy Williams and Kwown Alexander two cuts from other teams are our best backers. And that’s not a knock on them. Simpson can also rush the ladder similar to Micah Parsons.

Round 2 best available safety or we trade up for an OT. Maybe Mitchell and Becton stay healthy, but, this is the NFL, having OL depth is a necessity if your OL have injury history. I expect Brown to retire and Fant to move on.

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I've been all in on Simpson. Dude can do pretty much anything. We may or may not have a shot at him. We'll see how the last 12 games go.

Based on what I've read so far, the OT class is Paris Johnson and then everyone else.

3. WoodyHarrelson

I take this back. Think the OL needs to continue to be addressed.

At this point, Mekhi Becton is a swing tackle for me. Maybe he starts at RT over Mitchell but we need a LT in round 1.

Tomlinson is not a capable LG either. Think we need to consider benching him for AVT next year or draft a capable backup.

4. CotcheryFan

Anton Harrison out of Oklahoma could be the solution at LT.

Jojo and WoodyHarrelson like this.
  5. WoodyHarrelson

Hope we do that and keep all of our skill players. Sign a veteran RB

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I wonder if we see a huge influx in offensive lineman being drafted. Scoring is way down in the NFL this year and it’s partly because of poor QB play due to tons of defensive line pressure (at least in my eyes).

The NFL really needs expanded rosters.

7. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I used the PFF 1 round mock draft simulator.

We draft in the mid/low 20’s

I traded the pick for Laremy Tunsil

Make it happen JD

8. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

O-lineman early.

The following players could very well NOT be on the roster next year;
    - Connor McGovern - contract up
    - Duane Brown - short term contract but turning 38yrs old w/zero guaranteed money
    - George Fant - contract up
    - Laken Tomlinson - no guaranteed money in his contract & playing like $hit (quite frankly)

So that leaves us the following;
    - AVT
    - Mekhi Becton but not reliable at all -- has missed the past 2 seasons.
    - Max Mitchell
    - Nate Herbig - currently on a 1 year deal & HAS to be extended

Still trying to figure out what we have in Zach Wilson. With that being the case, - we need to get him the best possible protection to avoid turning him into another Sam Darnold.

boozer32 and Jojo like this.
  9. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Do you think that part of the reason for defensive line getting more pressure on O/Line is because :-

1. O/L need to play together a lot to get used to each other
    2. Where as D/L can rotate players in as and when, thereby keeping them fresher

Over a full game the O/Line are bound to get more fatigued, playing as a fixed unit, whilst the D/L will be fresh as they are part of a more flexible formation that allows for a constant rotation of players?

10. CotcheryFan

From the first list, I'd try to keep McGovern over the others. He's been steady but unspectacular. I don't believe we need elite play at his position.

From the second, AVT is a keeper even with the injury. Becton cannot be counted on. Mitchell may or may not be the answer at RT. Agreed on Herbig.

As I mentioned earlier, Harrison looks intriguing for LT. Fant is a stopgap if retained. We'll need a long term answer sooner or later.

11. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Nice catch and run by Mims there.

boozer32 likes this.
  12. CotcheryFan

As of now, we have 5 picks IIRC. I hope we don't use any on a QB even if Wilson isn't the guy. Go with a vet in 2023 and go from there.

amuck57 and mrjet80 like this.
  13. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Have to shore up OL and LB that should be the focus

amuck57 likes this.
  14. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

The draft seem to stink?... no real game breaker it seems.

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

OT Olumuyiwa Fashanu, Penn State

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yo @KY Jets Fan - what’s the deal with Levis? Are the receivers or protection that bad? It seems like the protection isn’t always great but he holds onto the ball waaaaay too long.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

It’s sort of a combination of both the things you mentioned.

Our OL is atrociously bad this year. To the point where I’m honestly surprised that Levis hasn’t gotten seriously injured.

He’s also working with an all new group of WRs (starting 2 freshmen and a transfer) so I think they’ve had some growing pains this year while trying to get on the same page.

Levis is a very intriguing prospect. He’s got a rocket for an arm, he’s a great athlete that can make huge plays with his legs, and he’s massive for such a mobile QB (6’3” 230+).

However, in terms of passing the ball, he reminds me a lot of Zach. He can be very skittish in the pocket at times which leads him to bail out of good pockets. His deep accuracy is a bit questionable but not awful. His mechanics can get a little sloppy too when facing pressure. All this should sound very familiar to us Jets fans as we’ve seen the same things from Zach.

Overall, I can certainly understand the infatuation that we’re seeing in the draft community when it comes to Levis. He’s got all the tools to be a successful QB in the NFL and the guy is a winner and tough as nails. I can see why Josh Allen’s name gets thrown around when talking about him but his accuracy is already better than Allen’s was at this stage in their careers.

I think if a team is willing to be a little patient with him, he can be a very, very good NFL QB.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I think the priority should be offense. Maybe another tackle or guard. Put AVT back at guard. Still have no idea about Becton

19. WoodyHarrelson

Been thinking about it.

1. OT is still clear number 1. Maybe Becton is healthy maybe not. Also, Mitchell at RT got hurt too and is still unknown. Think we go LT in round 1 and Becton is a swing RT and LT and he competes vs Mitchell anyways for starting job. Interior OL seems fine with Herbig now and obviously AVT. Maybe target center at some point.

2. Safety would be a wise pick in round 2. Or, if an elite LB slips that is worth trading up for we should. I love Mosley, Kwon and Quincy. Kwon is older. Maybe find a way to get a solid Lb mid rounds, for OLB it’s usually easier. MLB is the issue. CJ is playing all pro this year but he’s getting older. Sherwood looked awful when he went in vs Buffalo.

3. Interior DL. Enough good pieces in round 3 to compliment Quinnen

OT
    Safety
    OLB
    DT

20. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

RD 1 Trenton Simpson LB
    RD 2 Dawand Jones OT
    RD 3 Steve Avila C

amuck57 and phubbadaman like this.