Was yesterday the worst regular season loss in franchise history?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJFan10, Nov 4, 2019.

1. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

What else would you even put up there...losing to the 1-15 Saints in 1980 or the 1-15 Colts in 1991? The fake spike game that led to two years of Kotite and 4-33? The Victor Cruz game that was beginning of the end of Rex?

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Well.... it can't get much worse than when you lose to a team that's TRYING to tank the season...

SOJAZ, PabloJa, electrolyte and 4 others like this.
  3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

In recent memory the 2015 loss to Rex’s Bills was worse.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah that one hurt way more than this one did. If we won yesterday we were one step closer to 4-12. Ultimately the win against the Bills would've meant we got to be one and done in the playoffs but it still would've been fun.

As soon as Brandon Marshall dropped that pass on the first series I said ohhhh no. Here we go.

Jets81 likes this.
  5. Yorkshire Jet

Yorkshire Jet Member

All very good examples. Yesterday was the worst, Dolphins were on track to have the worst stats and season in NFL history, until they met us. Joke. The franchise needs a reset from top to bottom.

6. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

fake spike, we got ¨got¨

yesterday was just a we didnt show up bc we dont care or have no talent or both,

nobody seems to care, the franchise is ok with being a bottom dweller. They are apathetic and turning the fan base the same

Cman68 likes this.
  7. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

They’re all bad for different reasons.

For the record I think the Dolphins will wind up winning another game or two ( not counting the rematch )

8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Honestly who knows what could have happened if they got in. That team could score, and if you can do that you have a chance. Still pitiful to think that Fitz holds our single season TD pass record with what...31? Thats just pathetic on every conceivable level.

#8 Jets81, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    NYJFan10 likes this.
  9. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Well more meaningful yes...but you could come up with like 8-10 of those type of losses (minus the troll factor of losing to Rex). The Detroit home loss when John Hall got his pink slip, the Houston 24-0 loss, another Detroit home loss during the first Boomer year where we went from 8-5 to 8-8 and out, a couple of the end-season Mangini losses during the Favre year, and the aformentioned Victor Cruz game.

stinkyB likes this.
  10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Steelers loss in the playoffs when Herm was the HC in 2004. We actually had a good team with a good QB and missed a FG to win. We drafted Nuge in the 2nd round the next year because we were a kicker away from the SB and went 4 and 12.

ColoradoContrails, Cman68 and stinkyB like this.
  11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

That’s why I said in recent memory.

12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

He said regular season loss.

13. jago

jago Active Member

there are so many that you need multiple categories, then broken up by decade
    like a shelf of old school encyclopedias in your library.

14. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Who cares, if you think this was the worst, this franchise has to many to recount, just wait till next week, it will be worse

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Never mind.

In that case I'm going with the Seahawk game in 2008. We had come off wins against the Pats and TN and were in control for the home field bye in the playoffs with Brett fucking Favre killing it. We went on a two game losing streak and bounced back with a win against the Bills to get back in it. We went into Seattle and lost 13 to 3 in one of the most miserable offensive performances in team memory with a chance to go to the playoffs. We kicked the FG on our first possession and proceeded to lie down like dogs against a 4 and 12 Seattle team quarterbacked by Seneca Wallace.

Acad23 and Jets81 like this.
  16. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

We've definitely had worse losses. I'm not sure we've definitely had worse rosters.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Don't forget that we took a knee to burn off an extra 4 seconds so there was no kickoff if he made the field goal. That pushed us back two yards in the toughest place in the NFL to kick, after Doug Brien already missed on the day.

Easily the worst loss in my history as a Jets fan as well, but that was in the playoffs. This was worst regular season losses.

I think I've represses that entire season from my memory but I do remember that one. Pitiful. The largest mindfuck of a season we've ever had. From Favre's 6 touchdown highs vs. The Cardinals (also when Eric Smith's decapitated Anquan Boldin) to games like that.

Favre still trying to make throws like he didn't have a torn labrum. SMH.

#17 Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  18. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

its nowhere near the worst loss because it was a completely meaningless game so who cares?

Cman68, mrjet80 and Acad23 like this.
  19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Yesterday was far from the WORST loss as some people actually expected them to lose yesterday,,,,,there are just too many bad regular season losses to count

ColoradoContrails and mrjet80 like this.
  20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I think what made yesterdays loss so hard to take is the hope that drafting Sam Darnold to this team was the start of an upswing in the teams fortunes. I think it's sinking in that we blew it badly when we had both Watson and Mahomes sitting for us the year before, passed and gave up so much draft capital for what may be just be another QB who doesn't have it. You couple that with the hiring of another coach who appears clueless and the frustration from yesterdays loss is overwhelming.

ColoradoContrails likes this.