Was it a good move not signing Braylon this off season?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Diddy, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

The guy has done nothing since 2010 and has been very injury prone. I think if we resigned Braylon in 2011 for what he wanted he would be another overpaid player on this team.

2. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Paying either of those guys $10 million a year would have been a mistake. The question, which we may never know the answer to for a while if ever, is what exactly Edwards would have settled for as a Jet. He ended up getting next-to-nothing from San Francisco. Were the Jets offering a contract for more? Did they just completely drop him off their board?

Braylon was a solid receiver for us. Combine that with how cheaply he went, there's something more to the story.

I don't know if I'd call it a "good move' NOT to sign him. But it's hard to argue that it would have been a good move TO sign him.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

"We are in the media business" - Woody Johnson

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He's been making some plays in Seattle, but he's at best the 3rd or 4th WR on that team. Sanchez had great chemistry with Braylon so they should of signed him, especially since G and P ain't working. Like Jetfanmack said there is more to the story. We'll never know.

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The Jets need to do a better job of vetting the personal character of their wide receivers. Two in a row who they won't bring back for undisclosed reasons and a third who makes the team better when he gets hurt is not a very good track record.

6. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Maybe he can spill to the NY media this week? Honestly I think he wanted a lot of money and we didn't give it to him, so he went to the free agent market and realized that other teams will not give him what he wants, so he went to San Fran for a 1 year $2 million dollar contract. Then his career went down the drain.

7. 101GangGreen101

I would love to know the story. Even though his career went down the drain, I would take him over Chaz any day of the week.

8. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

Heh. This team hasn't made a good move all year.

9. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

No more divas. Draft and develop. Kerley and Hill is a nice start.

10. 101GangGreen101

You really thought Braylon was a diva? He made some bad decisions off the field, but when it came down to game day, he was always primed and ready to go. Always gave 100% effort.

11. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

He was good here, but in Cleveland, that was another story.

12. Al Dorow

Al Dorow Banned

It was an awesome move!! If we HAD signed him, we'd be 2 and 5 now. But without him, we're dominating at 3 and 4!

13. 101GangGreen101

I would argue we would of won the Steelers game and maybe even the Texans game.

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Bray and Tone were both playing for the big contract. But only one could get it. The 'loser' probably had some real serious and real loud shit to say about it at the time. I would love to have seen Tanny cowering under his desk.

15. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

For the Vet min, Braylon would have been a fantastic pick up. For a Tone contract in 2011($9 million a year), NO Fnnn WAY!!!

16. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

I still dont think they would have beaten the steelers, but the texans and Patriots maybe.

17. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

A better question is: was it a good move not drafting or signing an every down RB?

Doug Martin at #16 overall would have helped this offense so much.

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

assuming we still have the same draft class if we resign him,yes it was a good move.
    hill wouldn't get the reps he is getting now with bray here.developing draft picks is not something this team has done that well.mostly because of the addition of stop gap vets who stay a year take pt from the rookies then leave.

19. 2insane

2insane Well-Known Member

Yes. The one move I thought should have been done was to sign a certain WR who is a red zone threat for one year.

20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

In short, Yes.

There are many Edwards fans around here, but the guy was a good, not great, player for us. He had legal problems while here with the DUI arrest and then had the "stolen twiter" incident with the fight at the club. He was too much off the feild drama for his production and Maoney he was looking for.

This past offseason he had come off a very down, injury filled year, and still had the memory of his very recent Jets past hanging around the team. With Hill in tow there was no reason to sign an aging, injured, Drama waiting to happen.

Looking at his lack of production for the Seahawks it looks like a good non move. he is having a hard time getting on the feild for them and is currently under 100 yards on the season. This guy is spent.

Taht said, expect 20 threads calling to sign him this offseason if he makes even one grab against us sunday.