Vince Young

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GreyhoundJet, Apr 11, 2006.

1. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

I know people have gone over this a million times but I am wondering why people are all of a sudden so against Vince Young. We are judging him completely on his results on the Wonderlic. From what I have read on here and seen he had a good workout, not outstanding, but good. I think people are forgetting what kind of season and what kind of player he is when he steps on the field. He is not a Michael Vick, he is different. He can pass, as we all saw in the National Championship game, as well as break tackles with speed. There is a great possiblity for the Jets to draft Young at #4 and I think we should take it. When was the last time the Jets had a quarterback who changed the game? (pennington's one season doesn't count). We are grading him on a test that is taken while a player is off the field. His job would not be to do anything but to win football games, and he doesn't have to be a genius to do that.

2. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

The problem I see with Young is that he had such a huge advantage in college in that he was able to make plays by running. I'm not saying he wasn't a good passer, but a big part of his game was being able to scramble. It won't be that way in the NFL... and with his already strange release, it seems like a big gamble.

3. themanwithnofingers

themanwithnofingers New Member

With the Jets OL being not as strong as it could be it might be a bonus to have a QB who can move, prob is, if the Jets have to have a QB who do they take if Leinart is not available.....is it young or cutler.......either way this draft is harder to pick than a broken nose.....and it's not because of lack of choice

4. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I felt the same thing with Quincy Carter , it does add a different dimension to your attack.
    Please god don't let us take a QB in rounds 1 and 2.

Is impossible to make a bad draft pick this year? Dunno ask Herm :lol:

5. GreyhoundJet

Why not change it up? We have tried Pennington back there and obviously out line is not good enough to handle his "lack" of mobility. I think Vince Young will change it up while changing the pace of the game.

6. BleedinGreen

BleedinGreen New Member

So what happens if we don't take a QB, and Pennington struggles do to his weak arm??? Patrick Ramsey is supposed to be the answer....I don't think so.
    I'm sure all will be well if the Jets end up in the top 5 for next yrs draft, but do we want to go through another disasterous season?

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I don't see what the problem is with a QB who has great mobility. Everyone automatically assumes that if a player has the ability to get it done with his legs, it's not possible that he's doing it with his arm too. It's as if all quarterbacks are one dimensional, and there is no other way around that.

Has anyone actually watched film of Young playing QB? The guy has a rocket arm, and further, he has an ACCURATE arm. If you watch film of him he repeatedly hits receivers in stride, in the endzone. No more of the stop and catch and then run crap that we are used to, he can hit a receiver dead in the hands while the receiver is running. That is something that can't be taught.

I would think that having the ability to run just makes the QB more dangerous, rather than worse. Now that we have a coach like Mangini who is all about flexibility (it seems), having a multi-dimensional QB would make the Jets that much more unpredictable.

8. GreyhoundJet

That is a great point. I feel people are now casting him off because he had a bad test score. Ever since the Wonderlic everything he does is being overanalyzed and considered worse then it really was. We should look back at his college tapes and see how good he was at both running and passing.

9. beastindamiddle51

beastindamiddle51 New Member

i agree..why judge a the man on a written exam. i for one judge him by his hands on work. how many people are geniuses with their work but bomb written exams. i forgot what that is called but there is an actual medical term for it. and everyone is so hung up on his ackward release. can anyone recal rich gannon's side arm???? as i recall he set the record for consecutive completions over multiple games breaking montana's record. and his legs will take alot of pressure off our aging back in martin coming of knee surgery. but dont be fooled he can throw the ball and his arm strength will keep DB's on edge. he not a michael vick. hes a QB

10. parafly

parafly New Member

I think that people's dislike for vince young is much more than just a bad test score. I see three problems / concerns with him:

1) He may not be completely one-dimensional, but let's face, he got to where he is today because of his legs. I truly beleive that the Jets will implement an offensive system which is not heavily reliant on a mobile QB.

2) Awkward technique and release. While his style may have worked on the college level, the NFL is a completely different story and as of right now a complete question mark.

3) He has never taken a snap from under center. Again, that may have worked in college, but the NFL is totally different ball game. How will his ability to read a defense be affected if he is not in the shotgun?

All in all, Vince Young has alot of upside and may have a successful NFL career. But at this point, he is the biggest "project" and questionmark out of the three top QB's.

11. akibud

akibud Active Member

Oddly enough, people are stuck on the percieved negatives... The test score is impractical, because they did not test him on football or QB related issues.. secondly, the unusual release is not an issue because he is as accurate as most all his peers, and he has a stronger arm than most of them. His strange release, also gives him one advantage over all of them....... he will have the lowest instances of the ball being knocked out of his grip, when he sets up to throw, becuase he does not pull it back behind his head. He releases it from a in front of or next to his head.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

1) The Jets will implement an offense that will take advantage of their players strengths and minimize their weaknesses. So IF we did have VY, and he were a starter, the offense would change for that.

2) The guy is 6' 5" tall. The issue with an "awkward release" is that balls will get tipped at the line. Given his height, that will most likely be a non-issue.

3) I hate when people say "he has never taken a snap from under center". He played mostly from under the center in HS. Obviously HS is a different game, and not even close to College or the NFL but it is incorrect to say "he has never ..."

The guy is a phenomenal athlete and a proven winner. Whether that translates to the NFL is always a question mark with every player.

#12 WhiteShoeWillis, Apr 11, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  13. parafly

parafly New Member

Obviously, the team has to work with the talent that they have. But personally, I would take a smart pocket passer over a run-first QB anyday. I like a team approach to winning games, not an individual approach. I think Mangini would agree with me.

I could care less about what the guy did in HS. In the NCAA, which is what everyone is judging him by, he never took a snap from under center. Simply put, I do not want a QB who has only worked out of the shotgun for the last few years. Obviously, his previous coaching staff did not feel like confident with his ability to read defenses and make plays from under center.

Young is definitely a tremendous athlete, and what he did in the national championship game was incredible. However, I just can't see him doing that to an NFL defense. Take away his running ability, and you've taken away 70% of his game.

14. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Good post but I was thinking while reading this that we all complained that Hackett never used the shotgun and last year we added the shotgun and couldn't execute any kind of snap properly.

15. vegaskarl

vegaskarl Well-Known Member

I believe he will be better than Vick will ever be because he is a much better passer but he is two years away from starting.

16. Bomber

Bomber New Member

Good post....exactly what I was thinking. One of the big issues for me is his decision making....as soon as he feels pressure he goes to the best part of his game, and that is his legs.

I actually have no doubt that with some coaching and time he will be a sensation for a team during the regular season; whether he has the tools to take a team to the Super Bowl is another question.

The Jets don't have the time nor the latitude to take up what is effectively an outstanding project player.

Young will at some stage make an impact on the NFL....it just may not be this decade: he is a prospect that the Jets can't afford to take on in our current position.

17. akibud

akibud Active Member

Does anyone remeber Donovan Mcnabb when he came into the league?? people were saying he is a run first QB... Eagles fans groaned when the pick was announced.. The point is. Mcnabb is one of the best "passing" QB's in the league today.. and he can still rip off the 20 yard scramble when he chooses to. Vince Young's work ethic and desire to be the best will allow his game to grow to superstardom... We will all just have to wait and see..

18. Streetballa333

Streetballa333 New Member

I agree, I think that due to his strange release he also releases the football much quicker than many QB's in the league right now. Maybe getting rid of Mawae was a smokescreen. The Jets real intentions could be to run more of a shotgun offense that Mawae and Chad Pennington struggled with. I think that Chad Penningtion struggled in the shotgun because of his lack of mobility, arm strength, and footwork. A 6-5 quarterback should not have problems playing under center. If we were to tailor our offense around Vince Young and shorten the playbook like the steelers did for Rothletisberger. I think that we would be able to be successful because Vince Young has the intangibles you cannnot teach to a Young QB. He has the confidence, work ethic, composure, talent, and he has proven these abilities on a National Stage.

19. lightning

lightning Active Member

i don't give a shit about low test scores or his funky release, he's a project! and a project that will take 2-3 years to be any good at all, you don't spend a top 5 pick on that

20. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

The Titans want him, so you can forget about Young unless Mangini decides to move up a spot or two...