Vilma the One for Jets (Bergen Record 7/25)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by vilmatic, Jul 25, 2006.

1. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr...lRUV5eTY5NjYxMTEmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Not sure that link is goign to work, so here's the article:

By RANDY LANGE
    STAFF WRITER

What's new? To Jonathan Vilma, that's not a rhetorical question.

"Everything," said the Jets' young star linebacker.

Vilma's not kidding. He'll report Thursday to his third Jets training camp and the shock to his system will continue. It'll be his first camp under a new boss and the accompanying new personality -- Herm Edwards to Eric Mangini will make any NFL player's head spin. Then there's a new coordinator, position coach, scheme, teammates.

Gang Green fans also are dealing with the latest sweeping changes to their team, and the biggest change of all is this: Vilma is no longer just one of the name players on the roster. He is the new face of the Jets.

Yes, Chad Pennington is still here -- fighting for a job, 2002 a faded memory. Curtis Martin's spirit is still invincible but his knees are 33 years old. John Abraham was traded, Kevin Mawae released, Wayne Chrebet retired. Was Ty Law really here?

Of the top three draft picks, the first two are, after all, offensive linemen, and it's not yet Kellen Clemens' time.

"Honestly, I don't really think about things like that," Vilma said recently. "I went to the Pro Bowl and it was very sweet to me, it was nice, don't get me wrong. But it doesn't compare to winning.

"So being the face of the Jets, being put in that spotlight, that's not going to change me any way at all. I just want to win. That's all you're going to hear from me."

Well, that's not quite true. Being the Jets' new face means we'll be seeing and hearing him a little more, especially in commercials. He's already saying "Click-Clack" in one of Under Armour's TV spots and he's signed on to sell Jay-Z's Rocawear casual apparel.

And what will his message be in his Sprint TV and radio commercials?

"Buy phones," he said.

But Vilma's priorities are in order. Even Bill Belichick and Mangini teams need a superstar or two, and J-Vil seems to be the real deal.

"I've been in this business 23 years," said Mitch Frankel, Vilma's agent. "Jonathan at this stage of his career is probably the most advanced player I've ever seen; the way he carries himself, the way he tries to be the best athlete and person he can be."

But to continue his advancement, Vilma has to keep producing on the field. And his play in coordinator Bob Sutton's new defense will be one of the most watched developments of camp. Many are concerned that he isn't big enough at 6 feet 1 and 230 pounds to shed interior blockers and excel when the Jets are in the 3-4.

Not surprisingly, team insiders don't agree. Said one, "It's pretty simplistic to think guys are just going to smash him in the mouth."

"Jon knows where plays are going," Mangini said. "Whether it's 3-4, 4-3, Bear, whatever, he's the type of guy who instinctively understands how the game is unfolding, where he fits, how to approach blocking schemes. He's a versatile guy."

Vilma was asked if he had any fears about where he'll line up.

"No. Football is football," he said. "Of course, I'm anxious to see how I do. I want to be in the best position to make plays."

Make enough plays -- and after all, he was the NFL's unofficial tackles leader last season -- and Vilma soon will face a big payday. But one more example of why he and these new Jets are made for each other is that although he's entering the third year of his five-year, $10.3 million rookie deal, he said he's not a messy holdout waiting to happen.

"I told my agent I didn't want to be one of those guys who, after one or two good years, wants to go back to the table," he said. "I want to make a legitimate case for myself. I want to make the Pro Bowl again this year. We'll see, we'll take it from there.

"But trust me, that's so far away from my focus right now. I could care less. I'm here to play ball and I'll let my play speak for itself."

TEAGUE SIDELINED: The Jets placed center Trey Teague (broken ankle) on their physically-unable-to-perform list for the start of training camp.

E-mail: lange@northjersey.com

2. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I'll say it again- the guy is a class act, hands-down.

#2 KOZ, Jul 25, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2005
  3. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

I'm worried though. I hope he can tailor his game to the 3-4 and still make plays.

4. parafly

parafly New Member

I don't see why he can't. Vilma has some of the best football instincts I have seen in a while, and there is no reason why that won't translate into the 3-4. Now that Vilma will have another ILB next to him eating up blocks, his playmaking ability could excel even further.

5. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

If the line has problems, it will make it that much tougher for the linebackers. Right now, I just don't think we have the personnel to play the line on the 3-4. Kimo is aging, though experienced. Ellis should be okay at one end. Who knows where Robertson fits? Pope from what I hear is a decent player, I'm not sold on Reed, Pouha is unknown and the best 10 games I've seen Lance Legree play all happened on last year's Madden video game!

Even if we have a few rough games early on defense, I won't sweat it that much. It'll take time to adjust. But Sutton has been here for a while, so he should know something about what our players can and can't do.

6. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

I'm sure mangini will find a way to put our playmaker in position to make plays. This will end up being a good thing for Vilma.

7. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Since you're not sold on Reed I'll be the one to break the good news- he's no longer on the team.

8. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Buh-bye to Legree too.....

9. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Wherever Vilma is on the field he will make an impact. With that being said if they are going to have a solid 3-4 in the future they will need to get a great nose tackle that can take up 2 offensive lineman. I'm talking about Jamal Williams, Vince Wilfork or a Casey Hampton type player. It's very difficult to run the 3-4 without a player like that.

10. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

Great players make plays. If Vilma is one, which I think he is, he'll be fine. Half of his game is pure anticipation and getting to the spot first, and I don't think that ability will be lessened based on the scheme we're playing.

11. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

It will if he's constantly having to fight off blocks.

But Mangini has said he'll adjust the scheme to fit our players, so we'll see what happens.

12. croden14

croden14 New Member

he is a one man wrecking crew

13. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

My recollection is that when Vilma came out, the Pats were extremely high on him as well. I recall hearing rumors that they tried to swing a trade to get in front of the Jets and grab him. And this is when Tedy Bruschi was still healthy. So the idea that he somehow cant fit into Eric Mangini's defense just doesnt sit well with me.

Any coordinator who cant find a way to take advantage of a skillset like Vilmas doesnt deserve his job. Hes a great football player, you dont just cast aside a great player because they dont fit some prototype.

14. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

Vilma is one of the reason why we drafted Schlegel. Schlegel will take on on the blockers and help free Vilma up. Plus Vilma's a stud and he'll be fine!

15. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Anybody remember the LB that was slated to go into the probowl ahead of Jonathan Vilma?

Yeah, thats right...his name is Zach Thomas and he is even more undersized then Vilma. Guess what defense he played in? Thats right, the 3-4.

Anyone know who Donnie Edwards is? He plays ILB in the 3-4 defense for the chargers...anyone know how much he weighs? 227 pounds to be exact.

16. WesleyWuzTheMan

WesleyWuzTheMan New Member

<<Even Bill Belichick and Mangini teams need a superstar or two, and J-Vil seems to be the real deal.>>

CMart I understand. JMac, too. But is everyone on the team going to get a Jennifer Lopez nomenclature makeover? Let's stop this now before it gets out of hand and we're talking about D-Ferg, C-Penn, and E-Mang.

17. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

...as a UM season ticket holder when JV was there, and watching him develop playing for the Jets, I fully believe that he can excel in any defense. Maybe his size is not tailor made for a 3-4, but all I know is great players adapt and he has shown that he can be a great player...

18. WahooJet

WahooJet Member

"J-Vil seems to be the real deal."

Can we all agree not to use the term "J-Vil"?

As for his transition to the 3-4, the scheme is made for LB's to make plays, to have them flying around the defense. The key is having three guys that can totally jam the line. I'm not sure if we have that kind of meat. But from what I know of Mangini, he won't utilize a straight up 34.

We'll see.