Veteran Leadership

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DaftGreen, Oct 10, 2014.

1. DaftGreen

DaftGreen Member

does anyone else think the team went sour when some key locker room leaders on this team left?

T-Rich, Damien Woody, case in point.

I can't see any vet on this team grabbing a rookie or anyone else for that manner and setting their ass straight.

Mangold, Ferguson, Harris are long tenured guys here and should be sick of the crap that goes on. Maybe they do step up but it doesn't trickle down to the press.

BacktoQueens and gustoonarmy like this.
  2. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

It's a great point. David Harris and Mo Wilkerson should be showing more leadership on the defensive side. Leadership is lacking. Unfortuneately on offense, the QB needs to be the leader and neither Geno or Sanchez embraced that role.

legler82 and gustoonarmy like this.
  3. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Definitely. When the likes of Demario Davis is 'leading', you have to wonder what the F is going on. (no disrespect to DD here).

Out of Mangold, Harris and Brick I think only Mangold is the only one who is vocal. Colon is, but I think he's more of a shouter.

4. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Sanchez never grabbed the reins, probably his biggest fault. His ultimate collapse was bc of the o-line and imminent fear he was going to get hit.

I thought Geno was going to take control. I'm starting to have my doubts, and will need at least 2 more weeks until I can make a decision. The Pats game and the Bills game will answer all my questions (this week is pretty much a wash for me, my expectations are low)

One undying fact that every Jets fan knows is that zero major investments have gone into the offensive line, little has gone into the wr "core" and Chris Johnson was the worst acquisition in the offseason (the collapsing line, the "pocket" are all a joke and have been for several years)

Hard for any qb to come here and be good under our standard and the shit that we have for an offensive line and "weapons".

MM sucks major donkey dicks and doesn't know how to use his backfield better; no screens in weeks, no sign of Powell in weeks, no lead blockers ever. It's just weird counter step draws out of shotgun from ivory; or Johnson unable to make it to the edge or looking like shonn Greene (when ppl were hating him here) for the fall down 2 1/2 yds.

Where are the screen, counters, traps and PA bootleg (the old Pennington offense)?

5. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Although the missed meeting doesn't help at all, I always thought Geno never did a bad job when it comes to accountability and leadership/taking the blunt of problems on his shoulder.

The problem is when you aren't playing well, its tough to command respect from your teammates. When you start winning games, they will listen to every word you say. When you don't, they will tune you out.

Its the brutality of opening with such a tough schedule in the 1st half, this team's character was going to be questioned, we just never thought it'd get this bad. The media are feasting like sharks in the water seeing fresh meat dead smack in the middle of it and its on the Jets to get out of their safely.

6. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

The youth movement, while beneficial in the long run, must have a lot to do with it. You also need emotional, vocal leaders who are creating energy on the field during live games. In the past we had players like Bart Scott, Shaun Ellis, and Kris Jenkins, who really amped up the team. Even Revis would get going on the field, and when he'd make plays against the big time WR's everyone would start to get energized, you could just see it. Right now Demario Davis and Sheldon Richardson are those guys, the problem is just that neither have started 25 games total in their career yet. Not that 25 is the magic number or something, I'm just making the point that they are young and pretty inexperienced. I think as these guys grow up, the two of them and Pryor will be the real energizing factors for the defense. On offense I really don't see anyone who is that ferocious guy, who gets the unit psyched up. Colon sort of does but he also pretty much sucks.

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Wait, you don't know and see what goes on with the team that isn't actually televised? What a shocker!!