Very Interesting Analysis on Brady

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by FriendlyGiantsFan, Mar 29, 2012.

1. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

I linked this in another thread and displacedfan suggested it be its own thread.

The linked article provides a very critical and very interesting analysis on Tom Brady's QB play and highlights a very significant weakness he has consistently shown. Brady's arm strength or style of play simply isn't conducive to him being an effective deep ball passer. There was a feature on the NFL Network called "The Brady 6" and it mentioned some of the negatives from his scouting report. One of those negatives was how he "lacks the ability to drive the ball downfield" and how "it is not believed technique can correct this." It also mentions how he has great difficulty throwing if "forced to move off a spot."

This makes a lot of sense when you consider that a QB that only put up average college stats but is blessed with a strong arm and mobility would probably go in the 3rd round or so.

I think we've seen opposing coaches start to take advantage of these weaknesses in Brady's game. Obviously, blitzing an elite QB can be one way to get him off his game, but it's the way one compensates for that blitz that is key. I've seen defenses (including the Jets and, most recently, the Giants) play straight man while blitzing and employing press techniques. This runs the risk of getting beat deep BUT also forces Brady to play towards one of his greatest weaknesses. Perhaps the golden boy isn't so perfect after all.

Let me know what you guys think of the article. I think it helps put to bed the "Brady is the greatest QB ever" argument that Patriots fans would love to make. He's good, damn good; but his play isn't without it's flaws and those flaws are significant.

Also, Uggs.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_5322_Super_Bowl_Hangover_Pt._2%3A_From_Bradying_to_Welker.html

#1 FriendlyGiantsFan, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Where's the link? He looked like a pretty good deep ball passer in 07..... that being said, it's well documented that Brady has trouble dealing with pressure. Most QBs do. They always find ways to protect him other than when they play the Giants.

3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

#3 displacedfan, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  4. Bannon

Bannon New Member

He was throwing to the greatest deep ball catcher of all time. Moss not only has the elite speed, but a freakish ability to adjust to the perfect position to box out the defender, and out-manuver him for the catch. It makes most quarterbacks look money.

I call it the "Culpepper Syndrome."

5. FriendlyGiantsFan

Link is up.

And read what that article has to say about Brady going deep to Moss. It'll make you go:eek:hmy:

6. FriendlyGiantsFan

The link is up now, read what the article has to say on the 2007 Patriots. Apparently it's easy to have more success on deep passes when you attempt a lot more of them.

7. displacedfan

It is a very interesting read. Author makes a good point at the end. If Brady stays conservative as he did getting his 3 rings, it probably isn't enough for this team to win because of the surrounding talent on ST and D. But with him airing it out, it still isn't enough to get a Super Bowl ring and enough points.

8. reverseapachemaster

The Pats o-line is a big part of his success, particularly in light of his inability to throw well under pressure. As long as he's allowed to stand back there, take a piss and smoke a cig while waiting for a receiver to open up he's going to be a much better QB.

Interesting stuff about his deep passing issues.

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Interesting. The articles convince me he's dinking and dunking, but don't fully convince me he can't throw the deep ball accurately. Moreso that they don't attempt the deep ball very often.

10. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

Brady isn't the one getting beat by straight man coverage, it's having a receiving corps without speed and having everyones strength be the part of the field that is easiest to clog. The middle. NE hasn't had a deep threat receiver since 2008.

I will admit, he has looked off on his throws going deep this season, though, but he's throwing to a special teams ace, a slot receiver, tight ends, and someone who can't figure out the playbook, he doesn't have 07 or 08 Moss anymore.

#10 strngplyr, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Is Brandon Lloyd a vertical threat? Is that their response to this issue?

12. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

He is, but not because he is a burner, more of the Larry Fitzgerald type, he runs good routes and has amazing hands. You can put the ball in places where only Lloyd can make a play, and recently, he's made the play.

13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

It'll be interesting to see how he fits into their scheme. McDaniels is back at OC. I think LT Matt Light retired, which is terrible news for them and great news for the NYJ.

14. FriendlyGiantsFan

Did you read the article? He had a greater percentage of his deep throws be productive in 2006 than 2007. He attempted a lot more deep throws when he had the best deep ball WR in NFL history, but the percentage of those throws that were successful was lower.

15. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

yes he has struggled so mightily, the guy only has 75 TDs and 16 INts the last 2 seasons. Man he sucks!

Did he struggle against Bal and in the SB? yeah, has he struggled in postseason in recent years? yeah. His best WR is a slot guy, his best receivers overall are TEs so do you think that may have an effect on deep balls? he didn't seem to have any issues w/ Randy Moss when Moss could still play, did he?

Brady is not the best of all time, he is top 5 and the best of his generation. he didn't have great SBs each of the last 2 times but dropped passes and incredible catches cost him 2 more SB- Samuel and Welker's drops and the Tyree/Manningham spectacular catches. The fact that he has led these avera teams to 14 and 13 wins the last 2 seasons and a SB app is spectacular.

EVERY QB will struggle when they are being harrassed by a great pass rush. Before I get some nonsense about good QB eli manning in the title game vs. SF when he was hit a million times but he didn't do much in that game other tha get lucky not turning it over. He threw 2 balls into double coverage where each time 2 DBs collided, he also fumbled and his team recovered. The 2 scoring drives in the 2nd half/OT were after TOs set them up deep in SF territory.

16. displacedfan

Yeah that is what really got me. You think the year they were averaging 30+ points per game with a great deep threat, still was more successful the years prior.

I see Llyod not as a deep threat because of his speed or size, but because of his precise routes. He runs crisp routes. I wonder if most CB's can single cover him most of the time though. I don't how much athleticism Llyod has left, but in the past he could make some freakishly good catchs are poorly thrown balls.

17. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

Brady's "weak arm" is a thing of the distant past. His zip seemed to improve annually for several years.

It's not a Matthew Stafford howitzer cannon, but there is no throw Tom Brady can't make.

The point this article is trying to make is silly. Patriots being, by design, a short pass offense, doesn't imply that they're unable to go vertical.

I'm not sure what they were going for comparing YPA and QB rating regular season to postseason either. That's not a decline because he's playing worse, that's a decline because he's only playing against playoff teams.

18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I would still be happy to have him as my QB despite these glaring failings :)

19. displacedfan

Obviously we all would, but it is interesting the reason New England has struggled in the post season is due to the deep ball. And most of use would assume it falls on his receiving core, but as this shows he did more without Moss than with him in 07 and his accuracy has been off on them.

20. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

This has long been the known key to beating the Pats. The problem is that that OL is pretty good.

I agree. I think a lot of people don't realize that without good targets, no QB is going to be as effective as he could be. It's not an accident that elite QBs have had favorite targets, and when those targets aren't there, the QBs aren't nearly as effective.

I think Eli Manning's sudden emergence as an elite QB in 2011 is directly attributable to getting a pair of top notch WRs in Nicks and Cruz.