USPS Mailman steals over 27K in mailed checks

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by patleahy, Jun 4, 2021.

1. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

https://www.nj.com/bergen/2021/06/u...7k-in-checks-out-of-mail-in-north-jersey.html

A U.S. postal service employee admitted he stole about $27,000 in checks mailed to addresses in five Bergen County municipalities, authorities said.

Juan Torres, 28, of Hackensack faces up to five years in federal prison when he is sentenced Oct. 4, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for New Jersey said Thursday. Torres pleaded guilty to mail theft by videoconference before a federal judge sitting in Newark.

Torres, a city carrier assistant, admitted he stole checks intended to be delivered to private addresseses in Hackensack, South Hackensack, Maywood, Leonia and Hasbrouck Heights from November 2019 to May 2020. He then deposited the checks into an account he controlled, prosecutors said.

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I hear he was a bears fan :cool:

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Why is his sentencing not til October 4? Seems like a long time to wait.

patleahy likes this.
  4. patleahy

@FJF just a guess, but maybe a combination of: covid-related backlog AND the fact that it is in federal court?

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Dude should've just taken them to a check cashing place and ate the fees. I think my old mailman growing up did something like this with a lady who died.

patleahy likes this.
  6. patleahy

@Jonathan_Vilma don't you have to show ID at a check cashing place? I know the times I have utilized one, they have asked for ID to make sure it matches the name on the check.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Probably. I only did it once or twice in my life but they're usually in rather shady places I'm sure you can find a shady locally owned one that would do it.

patleahy likes this.